Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 AM

22,910 posts, read 28,237,218 times

Advertisements

Coen Brothers Western TV Series Starts Shooting Next Month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:18 PM

5,449 posts, read 8,164,155 times
For some reason I hadn't heard about this. I can't wait.

I hope Netflix will pick it up for streaming.

I wonder what part the great grandmothers will play. It doesn't say they have to know how to handle six-shooters :

"EG Casting is looking for an older great grandmother type ages 80 to 90 years old for a very special featured extra role. Filming will shoot in Albuquerque, New Mexico."

Coen Brothers 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' Casting Call for Grandmothers

Old 11-18-2018, 05:41 PM

5,449 posts, read 8,164,155 times
Showing on Netflix streaming now.

It might be the type of movie that some people think is absolutely great, and others totally dislike.

I'm in the absolutely great camp. I watched it on my 10-foot screen, which is almost like being in a movie theater.

The cinematography is spectacular. The music is great.

Instead of being TV format, six separate episodes about the same length, it's a movie with 6 separate stories based on a (fictional) old-time book of Western tales, each story in the movie based on a chapter in the book. If you pause while watching you can read the beginning and end of each chapter.

The first story, about a Gene Autry type singing cowboy dressed in white, is humorous. Unlike Gene, this singing cowboy likes killing people.

The second, also humorous, is about a would-be bank robber who can't seem to escape the noose.

The third, called “Meal Ticket” is really dark and disturbing, about a man with no arms and legs in a traveling wagon show who recites famous poems and speeches so the wagon owner can collect money from the spectators. The man with no arms and legs is the meal ticket.

The fourth is about a gold miner who finds an absolutely pristine, beautiful place that seems to have never been visited by humans. He starts digging while being watched by an owl.

The fifth, also somewhat disturbing, is about a young woman on the Oregon Trail.

The sixth, with Tyne Daly, I'll let you decide. Is Tyne the woman they were looking for in the previous post?

Old 11-18-2018, 07:22 PM

I loved the first, second, fifth, and sixth stories. The first had the most hilarious death scene I have ever seen in a movie. I laughed for twenty minutes after.

The third and fourth stories I found a bit underwhelming, which was really disappointing because those were the ones with Liam Neeson and Tom Waits, both of whom I love.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,063,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
For some reason I hadn't heard about this. I can't wait.

I wonder what part the great grandmothers will play. It doesn't say they have to know how to handle six-shooters :

"EG Casting is looking for an older great grandmother type ages 80 to 90 years old for a very special featured extra role. Filming will shoot in Albuquerque, New Mexico."

Coen Brothers 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' Casting Call for Grandmothers

Too bad Jessica Tandy passed away I could see her in this role . I m sure there are some ladies in Albuquerque that will fit the bill . But some reason Jessica Tandy came to my mind . im sure there are some older actresses that would fit this bill as well or they will have to hire a makeup artist for maybe an actress 70+ .

Old 11-19-2018, 12:57 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,747,134 times
Quote:
Quote:
Showing on Netflix streaming now.
Guys, it was made for Netflix.

Was hovering between holding off to watch it with someone in a couple of days, and caved because I was seeing too many spoliers. Watched it last night and will be repeating the viewing many times in the near future.

1) Huge Tom Waits fan; he killed the role.
2) Very big Coen Bros. fan; they are in fine, fine form.
3) The rest of the amazing cast and crazy-azz script!

The scene in the first story between Scruggs and Curly Joe made me laugh so hard my dog went into panic mode... I love Clancy Brown in anything, but especially when he gets to play... Clancy Brown.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The scene in the first story between Scruggs and Curly Joe made me laugh so hard my dog went into panic mode... I love Clancy Brown in anything, but especially when he gets to play... Clancy Brown.
Best onscreen death ever. I laughed so hard I hurt myself.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 PM

17,515 posts, read 13,309,755 times
I think the Coen brothers outdid themselves. It was wonderful

Great little stories. Great acting. Great music. Great scenery. What more can you ask for?

This was a gem of a movie!

Old 11-19-2018, 05:29 PM

19,352 posts, read 15,211,268 times
Quote:
The first story, about a Gene Autry type singing cowboy dressed in white, is humorous. Unlike Gene, this singing cowboy likes killing people.
Tim Blake Nelson is perfect for this role.

Quote:
The third, called “Meal Ticket” is really dark and disturbing, about a man with no arms and legs in a traveling wagon show who recites famous poems and speeches so the wagon owner can collect money from the spectators. The man with no arms and legs is the meal ticket.
Yep, very dark and disturbing.

Quote:
The fourth is about a gold miner who finds an absolutely pristine, beautiful place that seems to have never been visited by humans. He starts digging while being watched by an owl.
Loved this one. Loved Tom Waits' character.

Quote:
The fifth, also somewhat disturbing, is about a young woman on the Oregon Trail.
Spoiler
I was convinced she was playing the guy for her own gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The first had the most hilarious death scene I have ever seen in a movie. I laughed for twenty minutes after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The scene in the first story between Scruggs and Curly Joe made me laugh so hard my dog went into panic mode....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Best onscreen death ever. I laughed so hard I hurt myself.
Same with us. My SO turned purple. And then replayed it several times. He said he couldn't stop thinking about it at work today and practically blew a rib out stifling his laughter.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,538,468 times
Watched it and like it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV