U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 AM

3,732 posts, read 8,516,447 times

Advertisements

The Big Bang Theory is one sitcom that has clearly run its course and should have ended years ago.

I think in general most shows are like a bell curve. They peak somewhere in the middle and then drop off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM

792 posts, read 1,058,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The Big Bang Theory is one sitcom that has clearly run its course and should have ended years ago.

I think in general most shows are like a bell curve. They peak somewhere in the middle and then drop off.

I agree! Modern Family is the same way. While it's still a good sitcom, it's not as funny as the earlier seasons. I lost interest in Big Bang Theory after season 8. It's more of a rom-com now.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:00 PM

24,610 posts, read 40,176,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
MASH, Friends, & Newhart were all strong at the end & with must see finales.

(Newhart wakes up beside wife from his previous sitcom)
I will disagree with you on MASH. After the first season it became preachy and should have just been named the Alan Alda Show. I think it is the most overrated show ever. Jay

Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 PM

115 posts, read 38,610 times
I can think of Three. I think Mary Tyler Moore, Cheers, Seinfeld got better with every season and all were good right up to the end of their runs.

I think The Fresh Prince was also good right up to the end as well.[/quote]

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

From JeanneVanderbilt:

I have to confess staying up sometimes until 2 a.m. watching King of Queens and just laughing like crazy! This is one sitcom that improved its cast of characters and story lines with every season. The chemistry between Doug and Carrie became better with each year. That show is seriously funny! I never watched it when it was on--not until it went into syndication. I'm a huge fan now (husband enjoys it because I do.
Jerry Stiller was perfect cast as Arthur Spooner. Love Deacon and Kelly, Spence, Danny, and Holly. Doug's parents were funny too. I think I've seen every episode.

Yes, Seinfeld was like that (brilliant!) as was MTM and Cheers. Fresh Prince was to young for me but my kids liked watching reruns of it after school.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:18 PM

115 posts, read 38,610 times
KING OF QUEENS, baby!

Better with each season, too. I really enjoy watching this one.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 PM

27,552 posts, read 45,007,788 times
MASH was meaningful to many people because of its preachiness but I agree it became too focused on Alan Alda (who is best taken in small doses IMO) and could have been better served using Harry Morgan much more...

I never could stand Friends---who wants to watch 6 people who are so much in love with themselves...only people who share that same narcissistic mind set--
My daughter and her friends were fans--but I don't think I have ever watched an entire episode from beginning to end...
And hated Seinfeld for the same reasons...
Why would you want to watch people you couldn't stand to be in the same room with for 10 min...

Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,134,598 times
MASH was like 3 different shows. Like many long running sitcoms, it changed direction, got better, peaked during the middle of the run, then changed to something decent but not quite as good.

Oh and by the way Alan Alda was always preachy on the show, and the focus was always on him right from the beginning. I watched MASH from the first season to the finale in 1983, and for many years after that watched reruns.

MASH Part 1: The first few seasons some say were the best. I liked it back then, but I was like 12 yrs old. Later I came to see this part of the run as mostly juvenile and moronic, with a horribly obnoxious laugh track, I see this part of the show now as one step above Hogans Heros, maybe. Also there was terribly sexist attitudes shown towards the women in the camp, who were all basically just walking blow up sex dolls mainly for Alan Aldas amusement.

I believe if the show had stayed in this mode, it would not have lasted much longer. Obviously those involved in the show felt the same way. because then we had...

MASH Part 2: Mclean Stevensons character is killed off (freeing him to star in a series of absolutely dreadful sitcoms) and Trapper John is sent home. The show suddenly became oddly sad and melancholy for a while, a major shift in direction. But then it improved greatly to me with the addition of BJ, Col Potter and Charles Emerson Winchester III, and Frank Burns leaving, which allowed the character of Margaret Houlihan to develop much further. These seasons were the most enjoyable to me.

MASH Part 3: Radar is sent home, Klinger takes over Radars role in the unit, and has stopped his quest for a Section 8. All the sexism of the first years is gone, and the show is more drama than comedy at this point. The finale was a good wrap up, and stands as one of the best TV finales ever.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:36 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
I would have to say Frasier also. Didn't love the last season but it was still better than most of the sitcoms that overstayed their welcome.

Loved Roseanne the first few seasons and I'm watching the reruns now on LAFF TV. They are running them in order and it's easy to see how the show just completely changed as Roseanne herself changed in real life.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 AM

5,585 posts, read 4,793,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Some shows get worst as the seasons go on but other are the opposite. What sitcoms do you think got better every season and were good right up to the end?

I can think of Three. I think Mary Tyler Moore, Cheers, Seinfeld got better with every season and all were good right up to the end of their runs.

I think The Fresh Prince was also good right up to the end as well.
The shows that seem to get better are the ones without children. As children age some aren't cute anymore. Some seem stupid, and sometimes it seems forced to involve them in the story.

A good example of this is Modern Family. Luke and Manny did not turn out to be good looking or even average. There is nothing they can add to the story. Their characters are just annoying.
Alex is a little better but not much. Lily is good now but as she ages things will change. Hayley is an exception but probably because she was older when the series started.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:17 AM

9,360 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Going back to the older sitcoms, my view is that two improved with age:

Father Knows Best

Leave it to Beaver (this one mainly because Tony Dow was a dreamboat as a teen . . .)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or