U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 04:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,647,609 times

Advertisements

Prior to this picture, this was the main theory I believed. I have to say it's a toss up between the two. I wonder how far apart are the islands are? https://www.seeker.com/amelia-earhar...765863284.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,149,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Prior to this picture, this was the main theory I believed. I have to say it's a toss up between the two. I wonder how far apart are the islands are? https://www.seeker.com/amelia-earhar...765863284.html
I don't believe a thing Tighar says. They've said every year for around 40 years that "we will find her THIS YEAR". They just keep searching that same island.

Also, if she and Noonan had landed on Howland/Nikumaroro, the search would have found her, hands down.

Unless they eventually find her skeleton in her plane, THEN I'll believe them. Until then, they have the least believable of all the theory's out there.

The Saipan theory holds far more truth to me.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,647,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I don't believe a thing Tighar says. They've said every year for around 40 years that "we will find her THIS YEAR". They just keep searching that same island.

Also, if she and Noonan had landed on Howland/Nikumaroro, the search would have found her, hands down.

Unless they eventually find her skeleton in her plane, THEN I'll believe them. Until then, they have the least believable of all the theory's out there.

The Saipan theory holds far more truth to me.
I do find the data analysis of the artifacts interesting. Either way they're going back again according to the second article.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 PM

18,032 posts, read 17,175,920 times
I've read several different articles and excepts from books today and I don't know what's true and what isn't. Neither does anyone else. But I do like to explore various sources because there may be clues. I don't bother with obviously stupid sources that say it was aliens or that she lived and came back to the USA. But I try to research all sides except the extremely weird and extreme.

In summary, here are a few things that came up in today's reading. Take it or leave it.

Police chief Jesus De Leon Guererro had a leather flyer's jacket in the 1950s that he said belonged to the "lady flyer." He said they killed her. Plane had crashed, she was very sick. Kept prisoner in Garapon (a large city) in an underground cell. This was in Saipan.

Another--Taken to Roi-Numar, Kwajalein atoll from Jaluit Atoll--From US intelligence officials in 1944. The man with a bandage on his head, woman with short-cut hair wearing men's pants brought by plane to Roi and taken across a causeway to the Namur Administration building--from a US Marine.Kept for 1 1/2 years. Noonan beheaded, Amelia died next day of dysentery.

From a radio man on USCG Etasca at Howland Island--heard every transmission. She crashed very near Howland Island. (Leo G. Bellarts, USCG (ret)

Down in or near Marshall Islands, brought by ship to Yap, then by plane to Saipan--Commander Paul Birdsall.

Messages sent in code from Japanese ships (about the capture.) The man was kept at the police stockade, the woman kept at a hotel in Garapan. Buried together outside the cemetery south of Garapan.

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-12-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I do find the data analysis of the artifacts interesting. Either way they're going back again according to the second article.
What's that old saying about doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result THIS TIME?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've read several different article and excepts from books today and I don't know what's true and what isn't. Neither does anyone else. But I do like to explore various sources because there may be clues. I don't bother with obviously stupid sources that say it was aliens or that she lived and came back to the USA. But I try to research all sides except the extremely weird and extreme.

In summary, here are a few things that came up in today's reading. Take it or leave it.

Police chief Jesus De Leon Guererro had a leather flyer's jacket in the 1950s that he said belonged to the "lady flyer." He said they killed her. Plane had crashed, she was very sick. Kept prisoner on Garapon (a large city) in an underground cell. This was in Saigon.
Saigon is in Vietnam. You mean Saipan.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Agreed. The National Archives wouldn't have kept just any old picture from a book.

Also, if some of you can see an electra plane in that picture, it's kind of a clincher. What is the probability of that plane lying there in the water, and a white woman with that hair style (no, it is not a man as one of the bloggers said. Men didn't wear their hair like that in 1937--a man's hair would have been cut shorter, longish hair would not have been acceptable. For a women, "bobbed" hair was starting to come into style but Amelia's hair was short even for a woman--but she was a unique woman and we know she wore her hair like that.

As for the date of 1935 on the book, that could be inaccurate or an intentional lie on the part of the Japanese. That translation a few posts back is an interpretation of the era and it comes out as 1935 but maybe that's a few years off.

Tragic if that is really them in the picture. End of their dream, there they are in the South Pacific, plane gone, not knowing what will happen next. Maybe they are thinking that things will be okay somehow, that the US will negotiate with Japan to save them. But I think we know what really happened.
And then there are the stories of the mother and daughter who did the Japanese laundry, including that of their prisoners. They knew not to say, but they knew, and the girl was told never to use the name.

Then, later, when it was clear our old allies the Russians were not going to be on our side that we needed Japan, and evidence of she and Noonan started to vanish, and the story got buried. The entire large file kept in the Archives dissapeared. The man who was responsible for the Archives knew what was in it, and understood that someone did not want it to become known.

There is just too much post crash which has been told for this to be manufactured. The date of this book also needs to be firmly established.

I wonder if she and Noonan expected that their government would choose to do nothing and actively hide any evidence just so it would look like they didn't know what Japan had set up. If they'd lived, would they have been at all surprised when their history got erased so we could let Japan be our counter to the Soviets after the war?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:52 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,301,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, the Garner Island theory holds some water.<>
Report on news tonight the Japanese tracked the photo down to a book published two years before her trip around the world took off.
"Keep trying"

Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,027,387 times
Quote:
Picture of book page 国立国会図書館デジタルコレクショ - 海の生命線我が南洋の姿 : 南洋群島写真帖

Just because this picture isn't, or is, them doesn't mean the theory surrounding their disappearance isn't true. Even without the picture there is a lot of first hand testimony that they were there. Including the radio transmissions.
So, Noonan was Asian?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 PM

18,032 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Report on news tonight the Japanese tracked the photo down to a book published two years before her trip around the world took off.
"Keep trying"
This was already established several posts back. The discussion hasn't been so much about the photo from then on. It's more about the other theories and the eyewitness reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or