U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,156,011 times

Advertisements

Was Amelia Earhart Captured By The Japanese in Marshall Islands?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM

5,564 posts, read 7,663,043 times
Lots of interesting stuff that makes no sense. Why would someone send a message to her husband, and how would they know her address?

Another theory?

A New Theory on Amelia Earhart : 50 Years After Disappearance, Experts Puzzle Over Flyer's Fate - latimes

Here's the telegram. The message to her husband is at the top of page 10.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6087764

Old 07-13-2017, 02:32 PM

18,091 posts, read 17,225,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok.. So.. Just being devils advocate here. let's say that book was published in 1939. How in the blue hell would the Japanese allow that photo to be published in a book? If it was taken by a US Spy, how would they get it? The mere fact that photo is in a book is problematic.

Thanks, MikeBear.. I remember watching that when it aired the first time back in 1990 and is what piqued my curiosity on what happened to AE.. I thought it was very detailed and very thorough.. That is the first time I had ever heard of the Saipan theory. As I learned more about the Saipan theory, I've thought less and less highly of it, but.. I always remembered that UM segment.
I like the devil's advocate approach--the more open minded, the better, the more challenges the better.

IF, as someone stated, that photo was taken by someone who was executed as a spy, the Japanese would have confiscated his camera and developed the film to see what he was taking pictures of. But, as you say, how did it get published in a book? I would have thought it would have been top secret material. Of course, there's always the possibility that someone (the person who developed the film?) could have just admired the picture and made a few copies for himself. Then when the coffee table book came out, he sold the picture to the publisher. Probably not though.

Interestingly (and there is no proof but this is someone's belief that I found in today's reading) it is thought that the book was a loose-leaf style book. That would mean that the photograph could have been added at any time. The blogger only saw the date of publication, not the actual book.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I like the devil's advocate approach--the more open minded, the better, the more challenges the better.

IF, as someone stated, that photo was taken by someone who was executed as a spy, the Japanese would have confiscated his camera and developed the film to see what he was taking pictures of. But, as you say, how did it get published in a book? I would have thought it would have been top secret material. Of course, there's always the possibility that someone (the person who developed the film?) could have just admired the picture and made a few copies for himself. Then when the coffee table book came out, he sold the picture to the publisher. Probably not though.

Interestingly (and there is no proof but this is someone's belief that I found in today's reading) it is thought that the book was a loose-leaf style book. That would mean that the photograph could have been added at any time. The blogger only saw the date of publication, not the actual book.
The spy wasn't caught and executed that day. They said it was at a later date.

Looking for information in her mother and what she thought happened I came across this. Just so you know her mom thought she was held by the Japanese and killed. She said. AE had hinted that she was doing things she couldn't talk about.

Quote:
July 13, 1937: Several American newspapers publish an International News Service (INS) story with headlines similar to this one, found on Page 1 of the Bethlehem (Penn.) Globe- Times: “Tokio Hears *** Fishing Boat Picked up Amelia.” The story cites “vague and unconfirmed” rumors that the fliers had “been rescued by a Japanese fishing boat without a radio,” is never followed up, and is squelched in Japan with a later retraction.

I have no idea if this guy is a quack or not, but, if true, there just seems like there was so much evidence they survived. I guess before social media it was easier to cover stuff up.

https://earharttruth.wordpress.com/t...-otis-earhart/

Old 07-13-2017, 03:15 PM

I saw the same articles yesterday in my reading--glad you put them in here so we can all see them. I should have done that too.

There are SO MANY eyewitness reports. Reports from the doctor who treated Noonan for the leg injury and by his medical assistant (who later became a reputable doctor) saying that Noonan and Earhart were on the deck of a ship. So many other islanders remembered it that it seems very credible that this is what happened.

This article is from the Daily Mail aka Daily Fail but it's pretty good and again, it details the eyewitness reports.

Amelia Earhart WAS taken prisoner by Japanese say Pacific islanders | Daily Mail Online

Locals tell how shortly after arriving back in Jaluit, the Koshu Maru sailed off, first to Kwajalein Atoll, in the northern part of the Marshall Islands, and then on to Saipan.

That's the name of the ship they said was dispatched to pick them up on Mili Atoll after the fishermen found them there. It's the ship where Noonan is said to have been treated for his injured leg. As the medical assistant was leaving, he noticed an AIRPLANE hanging off the side of the ship. Two weeks later this ship returns to Jaluit and then heads for Saipan.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:29 PM

72,946 posts, read 64,407,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ok.. So.. Just being devils advocate here. let's say that book was published in 1939. How in the blue hell would the Japanese allow that photo to be published in a book? If it was taken by a US Spy, how would they get it? The mere fact that photo is in a book is problematic.

These are some of the questions I raised, but we're told that the recent TV program answers all these questions, and more.

It's not only how they got the photo (could have seized the "spy"s camera). But why would it find its way to a book publisher, and why would it be included in a photo album book of the South Seas? Who was this US spy? Must have been a Native islander, not an American. Could have handed the camera to another local. The Japanese could have got a copy of the photo from a local, later on.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:31 PM

72,946 posts, read 64,407,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Okay, so I found the picture in the national archives. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/68141661

Interestingly it says

Why is this labeled as Amelia Earhart, in the national archives, if it's not her?
It sounds like the Navy investigation in the 40's came across the photo, somehow (from a local islander?), and included it in their report file.

IMO, if the National Archives label says it's AE, that's good enough for me. It came from a Navy file, and the Navy investigated reports of her presence in Saipan. so as far as I'm concerned, this clinches it. The TV show never showed this document, that identifies the photo, and its source. That's strange.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Okay, so I found the picture in the national archives. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/68141661

Interestingly it says

Why is this labeled as Amelia Earhart, in the national archives, if it's not her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I saw the same articles yesterday in my reading--glad you put them in here so we can all see them. I should have done that too.

There are SO MANY eyewitness reports. Reports from the doctor who treated Noonan for the leg injury and by his medical assistant (who later became a reputable doctor) saying that Noonan and Earhart were on the deck of a ship. So many other islanders remembered it that it seems very credible that this is what happened.

This article is from the Daily Mail aka Daily Fail but it's pretty good and again, it details the eyewitness reports.

Amelia Earhart WAS taken prisoner by Japanese say Pacific islanders | Daily Mail Online

Locals tell how shortly after arriving back in Jaluit, the Koshu Maru sailed off, first to Kwajalein Atoll, in the northern part of the Marshall Islands, and then on to Saipan.

That's the name of the ship they said was dispatched to pick them up on Mili Atoll after the fishermen found them there. It's the ship where Noonan is said to have been treated for his injured leg. As the medical assistant was leaving, he noticed an AIRPLANE hanging off the side of the ship. Two weeks later this ship returns to Jaluit and then heads for Saipan.

The one I quoted is what I find confusing. I'm guessing that a simple search for AE, that's what I did, turned up the picture that was the basis for new evidence for the show. But why is it labeled AE in the archives? Even without the picture there is just too much support to discount the theory. Last school year, during a reading activity, I was talking to students about AE. They asked if anyone ever found her, and I said no but they were testing some items they found on N. Guess next time I'll talk about this.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kj...panese&f=false

Here's an excerpt from a book and it states that Amelia's husband wanted the government to search the Marshall Islands because that was a more probable location.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like the Navy investigation in the 40's came across the photo, somehow, and included it in their report file.
Right, but it's labeled as AE in the archives. They didn't say it was labeled AE in the show. Actually, he said he found the picture in some other file and found it interesting. It's clearly marked that it's not available for research. Maybe he had special privileges because of his job? Maybe it's marked not available because it was misfiled and no one knew where it was? Why even do facial recognition if it's labeled AE in the archive? Too many questions, and I know the answers aren't on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or