U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM

72,778 posts, read 64,231,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Right, but it's labeled as AE in the archives. They didn't say it was labeled AE in the show. Actually, he said he found the picture in some other file and found it interesting. It's clearly marked that it's not available for research. Maybe he had special privileges because of his job? Maybe it's marked not available because it was misfiled and no one knew where it was? Why even do facial recognition if it's labeled AE in the archive? Too many questions, and I know the answers aren't on the internet.
Exactly. And the paperwork says "unrestricted", twice. Yet at the end, it says not to release the photo to researches. Well, that doesn't sound "unrestricted" to me! Again, this doesn't add up. If we're to believe the ex-FBI guy in the TV show, the photo was separated from it's documentation, and he just happened to stumble across it. I don't find that believable.

If our little team here has succeeded in coming up with this ,theoretically, he could have, too. But you say you found it while doing a search for a completely different topic/item. I wonder if a dedicated search with the right keywords would be able to turn this up. Taking keywords from the Nat'l Archives label, itself. I also wonder if that Navy Commander Bridwell is the one who assembled the file this was in. He lead the Navy's investigation, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
https://books.google.com/books?id=Kj...panese&f=false

Here's an excerpt from a book and it states that Amelia's husband wanted the government to search the Marshall Islands because that was a more probable location.
Very interesting. He may have surmised that if they were so far off-course that they never even saw Howland Is. anywhere, they may have been too far north or NE, which would have put them near the Marshalls.

That passage in the book says he picked up clues in one of her transmissions that indicated they were hundreds of miles north of Howland.

I wonder why they chose Howland, and not one of the Gilbert Islands, that would have shortened their flight for the day, a little? Howland was American, the Gilberts were Brit, but that shouldn't have been an issue. After flying for 17 hours, they'd have been flying in the dark, after taking off from PNG in the morning. Not a good plan.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-13-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 03:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,645,236 times
Quote:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Kj...panese&f=false

Here's an excerpt from a book and it states that Amelia's husband wanted the government to search the Marshall Islands because that was a more probable location.
I wonder what he knew? Was she a spy?

Agh, I wish page 104 was included in the preview!

Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,645,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. And the paperwork says "unrestricted", twice. Yet at the end, it says not to release the photo to researches. Well, that doesn't sound "unrestricted" to me! Again, this doesn't add up. If we're to believe the ex-FBI guy in the TV show, the photo was separated from it's documentation, and he just happened to stumble across it. I don't find that believable.

If our little team here has succeeded in coming up with this ,theoretically, he could have, too. But you say you found it while doing a search for a completely different topic/item. I wonder if a dedicated search with the right keywords would be able to turn this up. Taking keywords from the Nat'l Archives label, itself. I also wonder if that Navy Commander Bridwell is the one who assembled the file this was in. He lead the Navy's investigation, I think.
I think the unrestricted just means not blacked out. The not for research I was thinking meant like chemical analysis, so it's not destroyed? The thing is I literally stumbled onto it online. Did he actually put his hands on the picture, or did he find it online as well?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I think the unrestricted just means not blacked out. The not for research I was thinking meant like chemical analysis, so it's not destroyed? The thing is I literally stumbled onto it online. Did he actually put his hands on the picture, or did he find it online as well?
My understanding was that he found it while he was rooting around the Nat'l Archives, himself. We should all review that part of the documentary (I posed the youtube link near the beginning of the thread). But it looks like you've solved the whole mystery, all the mysteries, relating to the AE question! Very impressive, for a little team of curious internet chatters! 3 cheers for the Kat! And for those who drew our attention to the US Navy investigation, in the 40's. IMO, all that really sews up the case. The Navy solved it, but higher authorities suppressed the findings. End of story.

It's been fun, y'all! If I'm going to waste time on the internet, I prefer to waste it in learning something, and following breadcrumbs to solve a real-life mystery! '''

P.S. In your link to the actual photo, the back of the photo says "CONFIDENTIAL".
Do you have a link to the doc. that says it's a Navy document, and portrays AE?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM

18,019 posts, read 17,167,297 times
The Search for Amelia Earhart - ABC News

A source no less illustrious than the late U.S. Navy Adm. Chester Nimitz has been quoted as saying, just before he died, that Earhart and Noonan went down in the Marshall Islands and were captured by the Japanese.

The photograph is still really interesting and I, too, would like to know more about it but I keep coming across this seeming "clincher" by the famous Admiral Nimitz. He doesn't say they were spies but he does confirm what the Saipan theory says. Added to all the eyewitnesses who had no reason on earth to lie, I believe it.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The Search for Amelia Earhart - ABC News

A source no less illustrious than the late U.S. Navy Adm. Chester Nimitz has been quoted as saying, just before he died, that Earhart and Noonan went down in the Marshall Islands and were captured by the Japanese.

The photograph is still really interesting and I, too, would like to know more about it but I keep coming across this seeming "clincher" by the famous Admiral Nimitz. He doesn't say they were spies but he does confirm what the Saipan theory says. Added to all the eyewitnesses who had no reason on earth to lie, I believe it.
Yes, there's that, as well. That came out during the earlier investigation in the 60's. The investigator spoke to Nimitz, himself.

The problem is, too many people regard these oral histories as just a bunch of "he said, they said, blah blah". They may cast doubt on the book author, who said he spoke to Nimitz. Nothing is as irrefutable as an actual document. Did someone say, earlier on, that the Bridwell Navy investigation file disappeared? This is the problem with the whole question; crucial evidence kept disappearing, as it was found. Bones were dug up, but disappeared from the lab they were sent to. Her briefcase was found in a safe, but the commanding officer took it from the enlisted man who grabbed it, and it was never seen again. The Navy conducts a thorough investigation and turns up all manner of evidence, but the file disappears. But we have isolated documents and a photo from that file, that we have to make some sense out of.

And now a blogger in Japan is still trying to deny it all. That's one very hot potato of a mystery! Everyone trying to kill the story from the start, swearing islanders to secrecy, and shooting the one who managed to snap a photo. It's very weird the photo turned up in that book from the 30's. There must have been several copies; one was given to Navy researchers, the Japanese go hold of at least one, there may be more out there.

I wonder how an islander would have developed the film? Probably no photo studios anywhere except the largest islands, if that.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The ABC article calls Howland Is. "Howard". So much for ABC, and their news sources.

And just now, suddenly TIGHAR comes up with satellite imagery showing her plane is in the water off Howland Is.? If it were there, someone would have found it earlier. All those search-and-rescue ships, for one thing.

What I'm wondering is, who's paying TIGHAR to create and maintain this decoy story?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,148,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The ABC article calls Howland Is. "Howard". So much for ABC, and their news sources.

And just now, suddenly TIGHAR comes up with satellite imagery showing her plane is in the water off Howland Is.? If it were there, someone would have found it earlier. All those search-and-rescue ships, for one thing.

What I'm wondering is, who's paying TIGHAR to create and maintain this decoy story?
Link? I found one from 2001, but nothing new. Though they've lied so much over the years, it's hard to shift through all of it.

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/...hotopage2.html

Old 07-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Link? I found one from 2001, but nothing new. Though they've lied so much over the years, it's hard to shift through all of it.

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/...hotopage2.html
It was in the ABC News link in_newengland posted. They made it sound like "new" news. I didn't read it too closely.
edit: oh, I see; his link is from a 2001 article. I thought it was recent. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or