U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,649,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The ABC article calls Howland Is. "Howard". So much for ABC, and their news sources.

And just now, suddenly TIGHAR comes up with satellite imagery showing her plane is in the water off Howland Is.? If it were there, someone would have found it earlier. All those search-and-rescue ships, for one thing.

What I'm wondering is, who's paying TIGHAR to create and maintain this decoy story?
The article was dated 2001, so my guess is it wasn't really her plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 04:37 PM

72,819 posts, read 64,258,962 times
In the Tying-Up-Loose-Ends Dept., does anyone have a guess as to why so many eyewitnesses said she lived in the jail in Garapan, while other authorities say she was placed in a hotel overlooking a bay in Saipan? I suppose she could have spent a year or two in that jail, then been moved to a hotel room. But I've run across a couple of references saying only Noonan was in the jail, while she was given a hotel room.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
In the Tying-Up-Loose-Ends Dept., does anyone have a guess as to why so many eyewitnesses said she lived in the jail in Garapan, while other authorities say she was placed in a hotel overlooking a bay in Saipan? I suppose she could have spent a year or two in that jail, then been moved to a hotel room. But I've run across a couple of references saying only Noonan was in the jail, while she was given a hotel room.
I thought she was only in the hotel until the military finished questioning her. After that she was transferred to the jail.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,020,541 times
Quote:
It sounds like the Navy investigation in the 40's came across the photo, somehow (from a local islander?), and included it in their report file.

IMO, if the National Archives label says it's AE, that's good enough for me. It came from a Navy file, and the Navy investigated reports of her presence in Saipan. so as far as I'm concerned, this clinches it. The TV show never showed this document, that identifies the photo, and its source. That's strange.
When was that label added? that's a question that has to be asked. I mean, it's been seen now, so if it disappears.. It's not that some third party is able to add annotations, or that some goof with access added it in there to stir the pot.. It's a conspiracy.

So.. Yeah.. Regardless of how it got there.. It's there now.. So.. If it was some yahoo who added it.. For many, many people, it's fact now.

Just look back when the Chris Benoit thing happened. Someone edited his Wikipedia page to say he died the night he actually DID die, and investigators had to dig that guy up and interrogate him to find out that he made a 'joke' that turned out to be true. And there's still people who think that he was killed and that wikipedia post proves it.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
When was that label added? that's a question that has to be asked. I mean, it's been seen now, so if it disappears.. It's not that some third party is able to add annotations, or that some goof with access added it in there to stir the pot.. It's a conspiracy.

So.. Yeah.. Regardless of how it got there.. It's there now.. So.. If it was some yahoo who added it.. For many, many people, it's fact now.

Just look back when the Chris Benoit thing happened. Someone edited his Wikipedia page to say he died the night he actually DID die, and investigators had to dig that guy up and interrogate him to find out that he made a 'joke' that turned out to be true. And there's still people who think that he was killed and that wikipedia post proves it.
It doesn't say when it was labeled, but this is the national archives not Wikipedia. I'm sure you need to have a certain permission to change things.

ETA: maybe you can figure it out

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/68141661

Last edited by Spazkat9696; 07-13-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The ABC article calls Howland Is. "Howard". So much for ABC, and their news sources.

And just now, suddenly TIGHAR comes up with satellite imagery showing her plane is in the water off Howland Is.? If it were there, someone would have found it earlier. All those search-and-rescue ships, for one thing.

What I'm wondering is, who's paying TIGHAR to create and maintain this decoy story?
Apparently the US government pays???

https://foia.state.gov/Search/result...e=&caseNumber=

Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,702,531 times
Quote:

And WHY? It's been almost a century. Everyone alive then is dead now, and the war is long, long over. Most of the Japanese involved are too. But she deserves that history know the true story of what happened to her, and perhaps why.

And this decoy story... after such a long time was is there a need for one? What secret got buried with them?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM

18,041 posts, read 17,182,887 times
https://www.archives.gov/news/topics/earhart

I just wanted to add that this link, already referenced by spazkat, reveals that there was a lot to be seen (or hidden) on those little atolls. Airplane hanger, airplane ramp for hauling out airplanes...on Jaluit, and the "dredging and building" on Mila Atoll were so confidential that even Japanese ships were not allowed to visit. Coal, munitions, etc. were brought to Jaluit and then to Mila Atoll.

Whether Earhart and Noonan meant to go anywhere near those islands or not, the fact that they probably did end up there is sufficient reason for the Japanese to capture them, assuming they were spies.

The real Jaluit doesn't match up with the theme of the coffee table travel book and the casual description of it being a lively port--or something like that. It does make me wonder about that book.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,149,759 times
http://www.dcdave.com/article5/170713.htm

You guys need to read this, and not just the first part, but all the way through.

Then this:

http://dcdave.com/article5/160506.htm

Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
http://www.dcdave.com/article5/170713.htm

You guys need to read this, and not just the first part, but all the way through.

Then this:

http://dcdave.com/article5/160506.htm
I saw the first one on the blog. I'll have to read the other tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or