U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I saw the first one on the blog. I'll have to read the other tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight.
Ditto. The Guardian tried to tell everyone that the story has been discredited because the photo is probably phony. A picture taken in the wrong time and in a different place. But who cares about the photo? It was just part of the hype by the History Channel. The theory stands on its own anyway, as people on here have proven about 100%.

I still want to know more about the book (heard that it was merely a loose-leaf, string tied bunch of pictures)

And I wish someone with the right sort of knowledge could verify where that photo was taken. Most of us don't have that kind of expertise.

Here's a good article with a PICTURE of the BOOK. It's a loose-leaf portfolio, not an actual book. Pictures could have been added at any time so the publishing date doesn't mean a thing. And the Japanese caption says it's a photo of Jaluit, not any other place. Why are some people out there still trying to distract everyone with other theories?
http://www.earhartonsaipan.com/

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-13-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 PM

72,834 posts, read 64,283,965 times
Quote:
Apparently the US government pays???

https://foia.state.gov/Search/result...e=&caseNumber=
One of the documents here says that Goerner, who researched the AE story in the 60's and wrote a book about his findings, doctored the stories he recorded. He added elements that weren't in the eyewitness testimony, to make the stories fit the facts better. Example: a Japanese fisherman said he saw AE's plane go down in the ocean (not near an atoll), and she was picked up by a Japanese boat, but she was alone. There was no one else with her. Goering changed this to portray the witness as saying AE and Noonan were picked up together. Sources in the document say that Goering's story isn't reliable.

This casts doubt on his claim that Nimitz told him in person that AE had been on Saipan.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,649,583 times
Quote:
Picture of book page 国立国会図書館デジタルコレクショ - 海の生命線我が南洋の姿 : 南洋群島写真帖

Just because this picture isn't, or is, them doesn't mean the theory surrounding their disappearance isn't true. Even without the picture there is a lot of first hand testimony that they were there. Including the radio transmissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ditto. The Guardian tried to tell everyone that the story has been discredited because the photo is probably phony. A picture taken in the wrong time and in a different place. But who cares about the photo? It was just part of the hype by the History Channel. The theory stands on its own anyway, as people on here have proven about 100%.

I still want to know more about the book (heard that it was merely a loose-leaf, string tied bunch of pictures)

And I wish someone with the right sort of knowledge could verify where that photo was taken. Most of us don't have that kind of expertise.

Here's a good article with a PICTURE of the BOOK. It's a loose-leaf portfolio, not an actual book. Pictures could have been added at any time so the publishing date doesn't mean a thing. And the Japanese caption says it's a photo of Jaluit, not any other place. Why are some people out there still trying to distract everyone with other theories?
Earhart on Saipan
That's a link to the actual book. You can flip the pages to see the other pictures. I haven't looked all the way through it.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Earhart on Saipan
Your link also talks about the message in a bottle, with a lock of her hair, I posted about. I'd still love to know more about that!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Earhart on Saipan
Where did the pic of the book come from? Did Richard Martini find it and photograph it when he was doing research in Japan? Or is it from an online source? There needs to be an explanation of that. But anyone can see, now, that it was not a published book. It looks like someone's personal family photo album, the old-fashioned kind.

One thing I don't understand about Martini is that he keeps saying AE died of dysentery, while his own video shows an interview with a woman who, as a child, saw AE being executed, and falling into a grave. The woman said she later planted a breadfruit tree by the grave, so people could later find it. That's some forward thinking! But why is Richard contradicting his own film's message? A number of witnesses said AE looked quite ill, but if the eyewitness testimony is to be believed, it wasn't dysentery that she died of. This contradiction mystifies me.

He also says in the article at that link ^^^, that when there are so many consistent stories from different sources, it lends credibility to the story. But the eyewitness stories aren't consistent! Some say the plane went down between Mili & Jaluit (ocean landing/crash). Others say, she landed on Mili, to which some add that they were hired (or their father was hired) to help drag the plane onto a barge. Some say the plane was on the Koshu Maru. Others say the plane was on a barge towed by the Koshu. Still others say it was a different Japanese boat that rescued them and carried the plane. Maybe some of this is due to the vagaries of memory, different locations from which her plane downing was viewed, and human error over time. I don't know.

Another piece of info Martini provides is that when he was in Japan, in some national library, he requested all the prison records (listing all inmates) from Japan's island territories within a certain timeframe. A cart piled high with books was wheeled out. He looked through all of them, and the one for Saipan was missing. He asked why, and the librarian said, that the US gov't demanded all the records after the war, and then returned them. She said when they were returned, the book for Saipan was missing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-13-2017 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,424 posts, read 16,702,531 times
Lets say they were taken to Saipan, and imprisoned. And eventually both were executed. This doesn't mean they started out there, but could have been captured elsewhere and moved a bit later. Would the Japanese have had records of when prisoners were transfered?

The plane could also have been found in one place, and moved to another. Of course the Japanese military would be anxious to study it. What I don't get is after the war, when the American's found it in a hanger, that it was destroyed. What did they not want to get out? Or was it part of the 'clean up' of Japan since by then they knew the war would end fairly soon, and they were going to need a really good new friend with the Soviets ready to be the new enemy. Did they find their bones and dissapear them so the safe line that they'd been held and just died in custody would be believed?

I remember my mom saying that the German monsters who commited offenses against humanity were addressed, but few of the Japanese (though she didn't say Japanese). Mom and dad were in Panama when the war started, he working at a raido/communications station. They actually lived in Panama, not the American zone, and considered the 'zonies' as too stuck up. She came home and he fought on a number of landings. They were realistic people. But while it wasn't surprising that Japan got lucky at the war's end, she and especially dad didn't think much of it. Imagine this being the more common reaction while the government suits were trying to make Japan a loyal new friend. They would want NOTHING to be found about Erhart and Noonan dying in some horrible place. It's not surprising they and the plane had to be erased. But its a long time later and isn't it time to be honest?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But its a long time later and isn't it time to be honest?
Yes. I think at this point, all parties should be able to say, "That was then, this is now". Back then, the time wasn't right for the truth. Now, it's 90 years after the fact.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,150,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. I think at this point, all parties should be able to say, "That was then, this is now". Back then, the time wasn't right for the truth. Now, it's 90 years after the fact.
The government obviously knows the truth, and they knew it back then. The cover-up comes from protecting FDR's record in history from bad public opinion as Amelia was well-loved by the public back then. The same FDR that obviously KNEW ahead of time that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor and did nothing to prevent it. It was THE cause that allowed him to insert the USA directly into the war.

There's NO WAY Purdue University bought that Electra and gave it to Amelia, that's got to be a cover story. It was still the Depression, and few people had money. Roosevelt gave it to her for spying purposes on the Japanese. The government also built the original air field she flew out of, and were involved 100% with everything to do with her round the world trip. They spent a long time going all over those waters back then, BUT, "on record" stayed out of the Marshall Island area deliberately. I think the search was used as a cover story to do spying on the Japanese, because Amelia didn't come back to report what if anything SHE saw.

They fully expected the Japanese to let her go, IF she ever got caught. They miscalculated badly in many ways.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:40 AM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times
She was supposed to be used as a bargaining tool but the Japanese never got around to it. Or maybe they did but the American government wouldn't take the bribe so they never got her back.

From the reports, it sounds like people saw more Americans than just those two. I think I heard some talking about a blond woman and sometimes they talk of three Americans? This is coming from the film in the last link, the one that also shows the book. Stands to reason that there might have been more than just two POWS during that time. And was she shot or did she die of dysentary? Could have been someone remembering another POW.

I wonder about that note in a bottle that someone found on a beach in France. It supposedly contained a lock of her hair. Must have become lost with time but wouldn't it be wonderful if someone in France has it or turned it in.

And yes, if they needed to protect FDR, he's long gone. So why the current cover up at all?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The government obviously knows the truth, and they knew it back then. The cover-up comes from protecting FDR's record in history from bad public opinion as Amelia was well-loved by the public back then. The same FDR that obviously KNEW ahead of time that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor and did nothing to prevent it. It was THE cause that allowed him to insert the USA directly into the war.

There's NO WAY Purdue University bought that Electra and gave it to Amelia, that's got to be a cover story. It was still the Depression, and few people had money. Roosevelt gave it to her for spying purposes on the Japanese. The government also built the original air field she flew out of, and were involved 100% with everything to do with her round the world trip. They spent a long time going all over those waters back then, BUT, "on record" stayed out of the Marshall Island area deliberately. I think the search was used as a cover story to do spying on the Japanese, because Amelia didn't come back to report what if anything SHE saw.

They fully expected the Japanese to let her go, IF she ever got caught. They miscalculated badly in many ways.
WHAT!!! I've never heard that before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or