Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
July 9th at 9p.m.

Amelia Earhart disappears - Jul 02, 1937 - HISTORY.com

I have always been fascinated by her story because my mother went to school with her at Medford High School, Medford, Massachusetts. I grew up hearing stories about her before she was famous. Plus my mother's cousin and his crew, who were flying a Red Cross plane, went MIA over the Phillipines, shot down by the Japs in WWII. My father always "joked" that Malcomb and Amelia were together, living life in the Philippines somewhere.

I will be checking this show out for sure, just to feel close to my Mom for a few minutes.
Thanks for this. I am fascinated by this story and will make sure to record this show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was always interested in her too. Then, several years ago, I read that some group had found a few things on an island that might have showed where she spent her last days. I remember they mentioned a shoe of the same brand and size that she wore. Can't remember what else but there were signs of someone having lived there and I think island natives mentioned something about a plane crash? They mentioned something at least that added credibility to the theory that this might have been the place where she lived until the inevitable end of her life.

You're talking about the same thing I am.. It's Garner (or Gardner) island. Also known as Nikumaroro

There are pluses and minuses to the theory..

Pluses -

- one of the last radio transmissions had her on a heading that would have taken her to that island.

- Skeleton was found in 1940, possibly of a woman along with a sextant box.

- Photo from reconnaissance flight in 1937 appears to show wheel and strut of Electra in the reef off the island. (Takes some imagination to see)
- Bearings not inconsistent with an Electra were found, as was a zipper possibly from Earhart's flight suit.
- Other artifacts found include improvised tools, aluminum panel possibly from an Electra(TIGHAR says it matches rivet patterns from one of the last photos of the Electra), and a curved piece of plexiglass with the exact curvature of an Electra windshield and a size 9 heel from a Cat's Paw shoe, which is Earhart's size and photos show her possibly wearing those shoes.

Minuses -

- Island was searched by the Navy a week after she disappeared. Signs of recent habitation were found, but no people.
- Her husband organized a search of the island after the Navy's.. Nothing found
- Settlers walked the island in 1937. Nothing found
- Skeleton exam in Fiji in 1940 determined it was of a man.

The other hypotheses have pretty much been disproven. Saipan was a big one.. She was captured and executed as a spy by Japan. An old woman claimed to have seen the plane being burned and her and Noonan being executed. The grave was exhumed and it was not her. (This was the theory played on Unsolved Mysteries back in the 80's)

She was kidnapped by the Japanese and became Tokyo Rose. Her husband listened to all recordings and none of them were her.

She faked her death and moved to New Jersey and became Irene Craigmile Bolam. Ms Bolam sued the bejeezus out of the publisher and author of the book that posed this theory.

so, outside of the crash and sink in the middle of the Pacific thought.. Nikumaroro is the best theory. 75 years on, about all that would be left of the plane would be the engine, and that could be buried deeply in silt. The odds are.. This will never be settled unless the skeleton is found and DNA testing determines whether it is or isn't her.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
I'm anxious to see the documentary on Sunday. This will always be an interesting mystery. At first I dismissed the photo because the woman in question has such dark hair. Earhart was medium redhead but in looking at various photos for whatever reason her hair did photograph quite dark at times. The man in question does seem to match Noonan's hairline. The photo alone can't prove this one way or another, but it's still interesting for anyone with an interest in historical events. It can only be confirmed one way or another by the finding of the plane or some type of positive proof in DNA.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I'm anxious to see the documentary on Sunday. This will always be an interesting mystery. At first I dismissed the photo because the woman in question has such dark hair. Earhart was medium redhead but in looking at various photos for whatever reason her hair did photograph quite dark at times. The man in question does seem to match Noonan's hairline. The photo alone can't prove this one way or another, but it's still interesting for anyone with an interest in historical events. It can only be confirmed one way or another by the finding of the plane or some type of positive proof in DNA.

I can't buy the theory that she was captured and executed or just died, and it has never come out.

There would be a record SOMEWHERE of it.

I won't say it's impossible, but very, very unlikely. I'll throw behind the crash and sink or Nikumaroro theories.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can't buy the theory that she was captured and executed or just died, and it has never come out.

I won't say it's impossible, but very, very unlikely. I'll throw behind the crash and sink or Nikumaroro theories.
The Nikumaroro theory is also interesting. There is just no way any of these theories can be considered proof positive one way or another. I can see records of her being captured never seeing the light of day but again it's no proof of anything. Aren't there supposed to be dogs sniffing for remains on the island in one of these truth hunters searches?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Uhm...

Yeah sorry, I don't pay attention to "history" outlets that try to make people like Giorgio A. Tsoukalos seem credible.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:59 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Aren't there supposed to be dogs sniffing for remains on the island in one of these truth hunters searches?
Yep! Exclusive: Bone-Sniffing Dogs to Hunt for Amelia Earhart's Remains

Old 07-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I thought so. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I just set my DVR! I can't wait.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I'm wondering if it's in that missing file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV