U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,702,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Thanks for the info! I knew those original bones discovered was far back in time now. It's just strange how they disappeared as you would think it would not be that hard to secure them from mishap or whatever accounts for it. I guess if they were found the only way to DNA check Noonan would be to exhume one of his parents. Earhart would be easier to identify since there are descendants.

I didn't recall that the bones now lost tested the wrong size for Noonan. I guess you could argue if the testing at that time was accurate or not. Bone size shouldn't have been that hard to determine.

Is that one photo with what look to be airplane wheels sticking out of the water from Gardner/Nikumaroro? That's another photo that was overlooked for a long time. Fascinating story no matter how you look at it.
I believe it was Nikumaroro, if that was where Trump was arriving this weekend. The NBC guys talked to several natives who remembered the plane running out of fuel and being towed to the harbor. The Japanese were said to have broken up the plane and burned part, and used the pieces to fill in under the landings for the main airport. I would guess they'd still be there. What was interesting was the facial recognition scan of the navigator from the picture and other known pictures of him was 100 percent sure it was him. It's likely if he was there that Earhart was too.

It's probably lucky that the photo had vanished into the wrong file, since the larger one did dissapear so while Japan was being touted as our new ally in the world over the evil communists it would not have helped for the world to discover she likely died in their prison, probably doing forced labor. The keeper of the records found it by accident and moved it where it would remain unnoticed until it was time. It was found now since the records will eventually be moved and they were being cataloged.

The prison was also found and is still being studied. It probaby wouldn't have helped back then if it was known she died as their prisoner in one of the most nororious prisons of the war either.

But may her spirit rest now, and the amazing life she led before remembered and honored more than what was likely a terrible way to end it.

I'm really looking forward to the show, already set up on the schedule to record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,024,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
They found Titanic after all those years so I keep wondering if Electra is under the ocean is it too small for even modern equipment to find by sonar or other means? It's obviously a much smaller target than an ocean liner. If it broke up it's likely in very small fragments, but it's harder to understand then why no oil slick was ever found.
It's likely not that the electra is so small.. It's that the ocean is so big. Remember, they can't even find where a 777 went down (Flight 380?)

Plus.. The electra would have degraded by now. The only real parts that would be left would likely be the engine. So, now instead of a needle in a haystack, you're looking for a grain of sand on the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I believe it was Nikumaroro, if that was where Trump was arriving this weekend. The NBC guys talked to several natives who remembered the plane running out of fuel and being towed to the harbor. The Japanese were said to have broken up the plane and burned part, and used the pieces to fill in under the landings for the main airport. I would guess they'd still be there. What was interesting was the facial recognition scan of the navigator from the picture and other known pictures of him was 100 percent sure it was him. It's likely if he was there that Earhart was too.

It's probably lucky that the photo had vanished into the wrong file, since the larger one did dissapear so while Japan was being touted as our new ally in the world over the evil communists it would not have helped for the world to discover she likely died in their prison, probably doing forced labor. The keeper of the records found it by accident and moved it where it would remain unnoticed until it was time. It was found now since the records will eventually be moved and they were being cataloged.

The prison was also found and is still being studied. It probaby wouldn't have helped back then if it was known she died as their prisoner in one of the most nororious prisons of the war either.

But may her spirit rest now, and the amazing life she led before remembered and honored more than what was likely a terrible way to end it.

I'm really looking forward to the show, already set up on the schedule to record.
Saipan is generally where the rumors put them.. Trump's in Germany today.. Noone goes to Nikumaroro unless they're researching something.. It's uninhabited.

Facial recognition on an 80 year old photograph is a hell of a lot different than on a modern hi-res photo.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,702,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's likely not that the electra is so small.. It's that the ocean is so big. Remember, they can't even find where a 777 went down (Flight 380?)

Plus.. The electra would have degraded by now. The only real parts that would be left would likely be the engine. So, now instead of a needle in a haystack, you're looking for a grain of sand on the beach.

Saipan is generally where the rumors put them.. Trump's in Germany today.. Noone goes to Nikumaroro unless they're researching something.. It's uninhabited.

Facial recognition on an 80 year old photograph is a hell of a lot different than on a modern hi-res photo.
They were waiting for Trump, so whereever it was he was landing. It was the same general area the picture was taken. The dock still exists and they compared it to the picture.

One of the people they were talking to it about is a facial recognition expert. He said if he were asked the chances, he'd say the photo matched other photos of the subject in court, and explained why. It matched in all the critical places, and the chances are tiny that someone else would match that fully. Nobody is assuming anything yet.

The large packet of data that was dissapeared when it became important that Japan be our friend has said to contain secret reports of her whereabouts as a Japanese prisoner in that area, and her death there. Which is why it vanished before anyone who might make it public could see it. Someone was worried that it contained things which were best undocumented at the least.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:57 PM

15,026 posts, read 8,568,934 times
Good site that refutes the photo theory

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...e-executed-spy

Old 07-08-2017, 04:33 PM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times
I kind of don't go for photo recognition. Probably because it reminds me of old pictures that supposedly show Lee Harvey Oswald standing in front of the Texas Book Depository or pictures that purport to prove that he was elsewhere. People tend to see what they want to see and anyway those are probably old, grainy pictures.

What I do remember reading was the women's Cats Paw shoe in her exact size. Now that made an impression on me because how likely would it be to find ANY American woman's shoe on a deserted Pacific island? Then it turns out to be the brand they said she wore AND the size too.

So I'm probably talking about the Nikumaroro theory?

I also seem to remember reading that natives (somewhere) said they found the wreckage in the jungle and used to raid it, taking parts for their own use. But I don't remember where that island was/if it was Nikumaroro or some other island.

Of course there may be other stories about downed planes that the natives found so it doesn't necessarily mean that it was her plane. Maybe that theory should be discounted as it could have been some other plane.

It will be interesting to see the show but I wish they'd compare both theories instead of pushing one. I like to get both sides and then see how they (and I) think them through.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:42 PM
BMI

6,521 posts, read 3,802,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
July 9th at 9p.m.

Amelia Earhart disappears - Jul 02, 1937 - HISTORY.com

I have always been fascinated by her story because my mother went to school with her at Medford High School, Medford, Massachusetts. I grew up hearing stories about her before she was famous. Plus my mother's cousin and his crew, who were flying a Red Cross plane, went MIA over the Phillipines, shot down by the Japs in WWII. My father always "joked" that Malcomb and Amelia were together, living life in the Philippines somewhere.

I will be checking this show out for sure, just to feel close to my Mom for a few minutes.
Your"mother" went to school with Amelia Earhart?
Sure it wasn't your grandmother? Amelia was born in 1897.

Anyway, always fascinated by her disappearance,
Joni Mitchell was too and wrote a great song about her in 1975 called "Amelia".

Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 PM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times
https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr2.html

This article pretty well summarizes what I read quite a long time ago. But someone said previously in this thread that the skeleton really DID match a small man, just as the British report had said, not a tall European woman.

Q. If an American search plane flew over the island looking for them, why didn't it see the wreckage? The wreckage was snagged by a reef, not sunken beneath the sea. The British saw the wreckage three years later. Did the Americans fly over at high tide when the wreckage would have been under water? That would have been kind of naive of them but maybe that's what happened.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 PM

1,572 posts, read 599,346 times
When I was a kid it was hinted that maybe it was aliens, like a lot of 70's stuff. Aliens were big then. That was interesting to me. Now that I've grown up, she either crashed into the sea or made it to some island and died and I don't care anymore.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,024,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I kind of don't go for photo recognition. Probably because it reminds me of old pictures that supposedly show Lee Harvey Oswald standing in front of the Texas Book Depository or pictures that purport to prove that he was elsewhere. People tend to see what they want to see and anyway those are probably old, grainy pictures.

What I do remember reading was the women's Cats Paw shoe in her exact size. Now that made an impression on me because how likely would it be to find ANY American woman's shoe on a deserted Pacific island? Then it turns out to be the brand they said she wore AND the size too.

So I'm probably talking about the Nikumaroro theory?

I also seem to remember reading that natives (somewhere) said they found the wreckage in the jungle and used to raid it, taking parts for their own use. But I don't remember where that island was/if it was Nikumaroro or some other island.

Of course there may be other stories about downed planes that the natives found so it doesn't necessarily mean that it was her plane. Maybe that theory should be discounted as it could have been some other plane.

It will be interesting to see the show but I wish they'd compare both theories instead of pushing one. I like to get both sides and then see how they (and I) think them through.
You've got a couple of theories together here.. The shoe, wasn't a shoe.. Just the heel. But, yes, from her size and style shoe. That is, indeed, Nikumaroro.

The wreckage, I believe that's the "Crashed in New Guinea" theory. Someone found a crashed "Electra" with Pratt and Whitney engines.. Which her plane had.. There are no records of a crash in that area, so.. Theory goes.. It must have been Earhart. (I might be the only one, but I have to stop myself every time from typing Earnhardt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr2.html

This article pretty well summarizes what I read quite a long time ago. But someone said previously in this thread that the skeleton really DID match a small man, just as the British report had said, not a tall European woman.

Q. If an American search plane flew over the island looking for them, why didn't it see the wreckage? The wreckage was snagged by a reef, not sunken beneath the sea. The British saw the wreckage three years later. Did the Americans fly over at high tide when the wreckage would have been under water? That would have been kind of naive of them but maybe that's what happened.
again, the skeleton.. Depends what you want to believe. There's credible doctors on both sides of the argument.

Nikumaroro has a very sharp dropoff at the reef. If they crash landed(ditched would be the proper term), they wouldn't have been able to land on the island, and you don't want to try to land on the reef.. So, the idea is that they set down in the water and came to rest on the reef, with a little fuel left perhaps, and over the course of a couple of days, made radio transmissions.. There are a few stories out there about radio transmissions that came from them in the following days. Unconfirmed, of course. Eventually, after a day or three.. The tides carried the plane off the reef where it sunk.

Actually.. I do remember reading somewhere that they could have landed on the beach, and then the tides slowly carried the plane out over the reef.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 PM

15,026 posts, read 8,568,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
July 9th at 9p.m.

Amelia Earhart disappears - Jul 02, 1937 - HISTORY.com

I have always been fascinated by her story because my mother went to school with her at Medford High School, Medford, Massachusetts. I grew up hearing stories about her before she was famous. Plus my mother's cousin and his crew, who were flying a Red Cross plane, went MIA over the Phillipines, shot down by the Japs in WWII. My father always "joked" that Malcomb and Amelia were together, living life in the Philippines somewhere.

I will be checking this show out for sure, just to feel close to my Mom for a few minutes.
Oh, and the proper term is Japanese, not Japs, as that is a racist slur, not allowed on this forum. It doesn't matter if that's how your parents used the term and whether you think it's ok or not.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or