U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2017, 12:19 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,873 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Reputation: 68757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
They found Titanic after all those years so I keep wondering if Electra is under the ocean is it too small for even modern equipment to find by sonar or other means? It's obviously a much smaller target than an ocean liner. If it broke up it's likely in very small fragments, but it's harder to understand then why no oil slick was ever found.
There are US eyewitnesses, who said they saw uniformed personal for the US burning the electra at Aslito airfield, on Saipan. It had been stored in a hangar there, they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2017, 11:20 AM
 
Location: too far from the sea
18,067 posts, read 17,198,889 times
Reputation: 30257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are US eyewitnesses, who said they saw uniformed personal for the US burning the electra at Aslito airfield, on Saipan. It had been stored in a hangar there, they say.
I'd love to read their stories (I hope it was all written down) and have some expert combine those with reports of the Japanese capturing them to give us the complete picture. And, was it THE plane or just "a" plane? Did they say with certainty that it was actually her plane? Why would the Japanese remove the plane and store it in a hanger anyway?
Why would they bother? Maybe they did, but I'm just wondering.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 1,317,770 times
Reputation: 1264
Just finished watching the documentary. I thought it was compelling and put forth some convincing evidence to this theory, I just think it's outrageous that every time bones or skeletons are found and tested they end up disappearing or "lost." It's ridiculous. If the bone fragments from the last dig at the grave site had not gone missing they could have been tested for DNA the way it is done today. I'm not surprised that on the third dig nothing could be found. Only DNA identification can prove any theory one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2017, 10:35 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
18,067 posts, read 17,198,889 times
Reputation: 30257
The program was much better than I expected. I'm usually very skeptical of these things but I think they are right. It was chilling to hear the interviews of the eyewitnesses. And things that matched up, like the medical person who treated the man for a cut on his forehead and for his knee while I think one of the last messages that Amelia had managed to send was to say that he had a "bruised knee."

Everything on the program seemed to add up that they were captured by the Japanese and held as spies.

I'll add something extra that I just learned. My husband who is from England went to a lecture back around 1970. The theory back then by the researcher who was giving the lecture was the same as what we heard tonight! He had gone there and interviewed people way back then. He had pictures of those metal wheels on the island that were said to have been used by the Japanese to move the plane. But his pictures were older and they showed actual planks lying on top of the wheels. He is said to have probably written a book about this--all in England though. Not here.

That top military man who wrote that what happened is true is another reason to believe it. (can't remember his name... but it could be googled.)

So the mystery is probably solved. The Japanese kept quiet and are still keeping quiet. Same with the Americans. Could the Americans have rescued her? We weren't actually at war yet.

Oh--I was wondering why the Japanese wanted to keep the plane. My husband said that it was due to the fact that American technology was way ahead of Japanese and they wanted to study it. I wonder why they destroyed it. Quite a good program--thank you, OP, for the reminder.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 01:47 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Reputation: 16435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Just finished watching the documentary. I thought it was compelling and put forth some convincing evidence to this theory, I just think it's outrageous that every time bones or skeletons are found and tested they end up disappearing or "lost." It's ridiculous. If the bone fragments from the last dig at the grave site had not gone missing they could have been tested for DNA the way it is done today. I'm not surprised that on the third dig nothing could be found. Only DNA identification can prove any theory one way or another.
I can understand the their dissapearence after the ditching being hidden by authorities, given the Japanese didn't know they were watching the Japanese controlled area. There would have been very little chance of rescue, and the Japanese would have reacted in some way to knowing how close the Americans were and cost many more lives. But later, when they'd died and it wasn't much of a surprise no attempts to retrieve them, why take their bones from this grave? Or, was this much like the reason the US didn't move when it was suspected they'd been captured. Our new allies, the Soviets, were not going to last as allies after the war. Remember, Japan got a much easier deal when the war ended because the new enemy was the Commie Reds, and the new civilian government of Japan was on our side. So we couldn't accuse them of allowing someone like Erhart to die locked in a cage anymore.

My dad fought in the Pacific the whole war, and he never had much of anything good to say about Japan even if they were our good friends. And he didn't call them Japanese either. He fought the whole war in active combat too, and until you couldn't get US made things, we did not buy anything made in Japan either.

What I don't get is now, getting on a century later, the dead cannot be allowed to rest and their story told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM
 
Location: MA
1,172 posts, read 542,341 times
Reputation: 657
The program was very interesting to say the least and the stamps from the Marshall island with the eye witness accounts are pretty strong.


I took it as AE and her navigator were executed by the Japanese for assuming they were spies.


That just put all the 'aliens' theory to rest lol


I'm still not sure what to think of that program but the picture analysis found that the picture was not fake. The point that many amateur radio picked a message from her and that the ONI said that she was captured as a POW etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Michigan
1,790 posts, read 1,153,434 times
Reputation: 3953
I'm hoping they'll post the video online soon, as I don't have access to the History channel right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM
 
Location: SWFL
21,469 posts, read 18,177,881 times
Reputation: 18856
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I can understand the their dissapearence after the ditching being hidden by authorities, given the Japanese didn't know they were watching the Japanese controlled area. There would have been very little chance of rescue, and the Japanese would have reacted in some way to knowing how close the Americans were and cost many more lives. But later, when they'd died and it wasn't much of a surprise no attempts to retrieve them, why take their bones from this grave? Or, was this much like the reason the US didn't move when it was suspected they'd been captured. Our new allies, the Soviets, were not going to last as allies after the war. Remember, Japan got a much easier deal when the war ended because the new enemy was the Commie Reds, and the new civilian government of Japan was on our side. So we couldn't accuse them of allowing someone like Erhart to die locked in a cage anymore.

My dad fought in the Pacific the whole war, and he never had much of anything good to say about Japan even if they were our good friends. And he didn't call them Japanese either. He fought the whole war in active combat too, and until you couldn't get US made things, we did not buy anything made in Japan either.

What I don't get is now, getting on a century later, the dead cannot be allowed to rest and their story told.
My dad fought in the Pacific the whole war too. Signalman on an LST . Needless to say he didn't have any kind words to say about them either.

I took away from any eyewitness account that Amelia was beheaded.

Too bad the US government did not want their code breaking revealed.

Good program.

RIP, Amelia and Fred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
4,941 posts, read 2,020,195 times
Reputation: 4424
Nuts, I wanted to watch this but forgot to record it. Hopefully I can catch it later.

I will say, the reason these kind of shows are compelling is they work backwards from the premise they want to prove, rather than forward strictly from facts. They can ignore what doesn't fit their narrative and manipulate things to fit. Still want to see what's up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
 
8,189 posts, read 6,033,113 times
Reputation: 10581
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh--I was wondering why the Japanese wanted to keep the plane. My husband said that it was due to the fact that American technology was way ahead of Japanese and they wanted to study it. I wonder why they destroyed it. Quite a good program--thank you, OP, for the reminder.
Not positive about 1937, but by 1941 the Japanese Zero was far superior to anything the Americans had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top