U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM

220 posts, read 104,853 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't think they would want to study it, by 1937 the Electra was commonly used by airlines from all over the world and the Japanese would not need to go far to acquire one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
I watched it today, and I'm convinced. I really wish some of the bones were still around. I feel for the families who never got answers.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I watched it today, and I'm convinced. I really wish some of the bones were still around. I feel for the families who never got answers.
My guess is those bones are still locked securely in some drawer in a high security area of the NSA. Why doesn't make any sense to me, but when you look at the immediate post war, and how Japan was now becoming our friend (under a hand picked government) to counter the new communist threat which now was the danger. They couldn't ignite the emotional reaction to she and Noonan being executed by our new old enemyturned ally. That large file which vanished is probaby locked up there too. If that picture had not been misfiled, it too would have vanished.

It's interesting how when she tried to raido her situation, a number of people did hear, but it was ignored.

The NSA had every reason to want the reason for their vanishing to remain a secret. She and Fred Noonan just got in their way and paid with their lives. Now that likely the truth is known, at least as fully as it ever will be, may they rest in peace.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,315,942 times
It's too bad the man who lead that '68 dig didn't keep a few of the bones discovered directly under his care and have a chain they passed through upon his death. Since none of these testing facilities seem able to keep remains from disappearing had a few bones been set aside they could now be tested to modern day DNA procedures. If someone had those bones and then the bones being recovered by the dog team on Gardner this mystery could finally be settled one way or another.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:39 PM

17,973 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
It's too bad the man who lead that '68 dig didn't keep a few of the bones discovered directly under his care and have a chain they passed through upon his death. Since none of these testing facilities seem able to keep remains from disappearing had a few bones been set aside they could now be tested to modern day DNA procedures. If someone had those bones and then the bones being recovered by the dog team on Gardner this mystery could finally be settled one way or another.
It must have been that '68 dig that my husband was telling about. He heard the lecturer back in England just after that time. Eyewitnesses, everything. More eyewitnesses than anyone would have had access to in this recent broadcast. But it was the exact same story that was told last night. Now the photograph has surfaced.

I wonder how many more secrets the government is keeping from us. Too bad they won't come out and verify this now that it's practically been proven. Maybe it would be too embarrassing for them.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:50 PM

72,653 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'd love to read their stories (I hope it was all written down) and have some expert combine those with reports of the Japanese capturing them to give us the complete picture. And, was it THE plane or just "a" plane? Did they say with certainty that it was actually her plane? Why would the Japanese remove the plane and store it in a hanger anyway?
Why would they bother? Maybe they did, but I'm just wondering.
They said it was her plane. Since the Japanese were convinced they were shooting down spies, they would have wanted to examine the plane for any evidence of spying. (Other sources say there was a mechanic in the US who repaired the Electra after the aborted first attempt/flight, and said the plane was outfitted with a spy camera at that time.)

Did the show last night present any documents from Japanese files? Somewhere I read that the researcher for the show had done research in Japan, and found a relevant document. Besides interviews with islanders and former American military personnel, what other corroborating arguments or evidence were offered? Someone on the thread mentioned ham radio operators...?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
The thing which makes me believe she was held in that prison is the woman who was a child at the time. She and her mother did the laundry for the Japanese, and gathered her bedding for washing. She remembered a white woman with kind eyes, and short hair who dressed in male clothes. And the woman was very sick. It's understandable that the natives who were being used for work by the Japanese would say nothing, but this woman who had described her perfectly as a child rings very true. She had no reason to lie.

It is also more suspicious that those who came later, looking for remains or a grave took every scrap of evidence with them and dissapeared it. This fits perfectly into the political climate of the time, when the Soviets were our enemy and the Japanese were being handled with kid gloves so they'd be a good ally.

There are also those ham raido calls before they were captured. Many people heard them, and reported them. It was their last try to get help. It seems unbelievable that with so many reported, there was no evidence of it being investigated. But if those in authority were sitting on a secret fleet, they did not dare do anything to make the Japanese curious. Which does not excuse them from further erasing evidence after it ceased to be a secret.

And its been many years. Why can't someone say we did know, but could not help without alerting the Japanese to the location of our own fleet. Why just deny and hide and make people wonder what else will never be explained or even known.

They do say the first casualty of war is truth.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:00 PM

72,653 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I'm hoping they'll post the video online soon, as I don't have access to the History channel right now.
I found it! It's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rryt--lyQ

Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,315,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It must have been that '68 dig that my husband was telling about. He heard the lecturer back in England just after that time. Eyewitnesses, everything. More eyewitnesses than anyone would have had access to in this recent broadcast. But it was the exact same story that was told last night. Now the photograph has surfaced.

I wonder how many more secrets the government is keeping from us. Too bad they won't come out and verify this now that it's practically been proven. Maybe it would be too embarrassing for them.
All we can do is hope those bones from the '68 dig turn up somewhere, but I won't hold my breath. Those bones should have been handled like it is when you use a safety deposit box at the bank. The only people happy to have them gone must be those in government who don't want this story confirmed beyond a doubt through science.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
I found all of the references to her being alive amazing. From the official report of the mother telling her daughter not to talk about seeing her, to the shortwave radio operators, to the mayday call picked up by the military, the eye witness reports, and the others I can't remember right now. It's amazing the questions surrounding what happened to her haven't been answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or