U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,315,942 times

Advertisements

The book needs independent study now to validate the year it was published. I would think the date should be in the book unless that page is missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,637,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I'll tell you this after looking again at the photo enlarged from your link above: If that's NOT AE and FN, and that's NOT an Electra plane on the barge behind the ship, it's their doppelgangers... I think they are wrong on the date of publishing on the book.

I think the Japanese are lying, OR it's been long enough that they don't know the truth themselves.

Let's wait a bit longer until they check all this out. Jumping too quickly to conclusions on either side is just how so much wrong information (IE: Viral) gets believed as real in the first place.
I agree, the picture in the book is much clearer, IMO. I can very clearly see that it is a plane being towed behind the boat. There are just so many small things, from so many people who have never met, for this theory to be without merit.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:01 AM

3,726 posts, read 8,498,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And.. The photo has been debunked.

It was published in a coffee table book in Japan in 1935. Which means the photo was taken before that.. Which means.. It isn't a photo of Earhart and Noonan after they went missing.

Amelia Earhart mystery: Photo taken too early to be missing pilot - CNN.com
The guy at the beginning of the show that had that picture locked in a drawer...didn't he say he found that picture in the National Archives? Why would the U.S. have a copy of some random picture from a Japanese coffee table book? It must have had some historical significance.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:10 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The guy at the beginning of the show that had that picture locked in a drawer...didn't he say he found that picture in the National Archives? Why would the U.S. have a copy of some random picture from a Japanese coffee table book? It must have had some historical significance.
Agreed. The National Archives wouldn't have kept just any old picture from a book.

Also, if some of you can see an electra plane in that picture, it's kind of a clincher. What is the probability of that plane lying there in the water, and a white woman with that hair style (no, it is not a man as one of the bloggers said. Men didn't wear their hair like that in 1937--a man's hair would have been cut shorter, longish hair would not have been acceptable. For a women, "bobbed" hair was starting to come into style but Amelia's hair was short even for a woman--but she was a unique woman and we know she wore her hair like that.

As for the date of 1935 on the book, that could be inaccurate or an intentional lie on the part of the Japanese. That translation a few posts back is an interpretation of the era and it comes out as 1935 but maybe that's a few years off.

Tragic if that is really them in the picture. End of their dream, there they are in the South Pacific, plane gone, not knowing what will happen next. Maybe they are thinking that things will be okay somehow, that the US will negotiate with Japan to save them. But I think we know what really happened.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
...Noonan was beheaded and displayed around the island before they buried him and they warned the natives if you help/asisst the americans this is what will happen to you. its beleived that Ameilia was sent to one or more of the islands to live among the covenants/monks so she woudlnt be found, and allegedy she bared a few children... This is from a comment on Amazon re the book by Goerner:

https://www.amazon.com/Search-Amelia.../dp/0385074247

The Search for Amelia Earhart by Fred Goerner, 1968.

He may have been the lecturer my husband saw in 1968-1970 in the UK. My husband watched the tv show with me and said, "Oh I already knew that. A man discovered all that back in 1968 and I went to a lecture by him at the library. I think he wrote a book too."

Too bad the book is out of print and costs $106 on Amazon. But if you read the comments, it's chilling. One person said her aunt lived on Guam with a Saipan bloodline and with a mother and grandmother who remember seeing "the American flying woman dressed like a man." The person says that this book is exactly what her aunt told her!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Picture of book page 国立国会図書館デジタルコレクショ - 海の生命線我が南洋の姿 : 南洋群島写真帖

Just because this picture isn't, or is, them doesn't mean the theory surrounding their disappearance isn't true. Even without the picture there is a lot of first hand testimony that they were there. Including the radio transmissions.
Can anyone here read Japanese? Just curious what the text says beneath the picture.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,818,347 times
I watched the documentary and although some of the "evidence" wasn't strong, the question of the many stories and sightings handed down through the generations remain. Also the woman who remembers seeing a woman, but dressed as a man, which was unheard of in the islands. What reason would these people have to make up these stories.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I watched the documentary and although some of the "evidence" wasn't strong, the question of the many stories and sightings handed down through the generations remain. Also the woman who remembers seeing a woman, but dressed as a man, which was unheard of in the islands. What reason would these people have to make up these stories.
I agree. There was also the woman that worked at the prison that remembers a white woman locked up in one of the cells. How else would a white woman end up on that isolated island during that time period.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:54 AM

8,144 posts, read 5,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As for the date of 1935 on the book, that could be inaccurate or an intentional lie on the part of the Japanese. That translation a few posts back is an interpretation of the era and it comes out as 1935 but maybe that's a few years off.
Ah, yes.. The Japanese put out a book with a wrong date to foil researchers 82 years in the future, because they knew the photo would be discovered..

Look.. I'll buy into some limited conspiracy theories.. But that's a bit further than I'm willing to go.

I am horrible at facial recognition.. So.. Noonan.. Couldn't tell you if that's him. Earhart.. I'd admit there's a chance.. Looking at the back of a person's head.. Not exactly a positive ID, but it could be her.

The archives.. They have millions of things in their collections. This particular photo, around the 30's and 40's could have had interest because tensions with the Japanese were high throughout the 30's, before the war. The archives have alot of photos of Elvis.. Doesn't mean he is still alive.

The underlying theory that they were captured by the Japanese is still.. Valid. Hard to prove a negative which is how many of these theories survive. But, there is a possibility.

Doesn't change my view at all that this is the third most likely scenario behind crash and sink and Nikumaroro.. Followed distantly behind (as in no chance) by the Irene Bolam and Tokyo Rose theories.

And.. Honestly.. Nikumaroro is also a very long shot based on radio transmissions and fuel.. But there's just enough out there to pique my interest.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:59 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times
The NY Times printed an editorial yesterday by a an author of a biography of Amelia Earhart, who doesn't buy the Saipan story. She also says that there was a journalist, Fukiko Aoki (no explanation as to whether this was a Japanese journalist, or Japanese-American), who looked into the story, interviewing a crew member of the ship that allegedly carried the Electra to Saipan. She also read the ship's log. No mention of EA by anyone connected to the ship.

But that isn't conclusive. Sources say the Japanese have been denying the whole story all along, and have denied that that particular ship was in the vicinity at the time. Absence of proof isn't proof of absence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or