U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,011,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Can anyone here read Japanese? Just curious what the text says beneath the picture.
A ****-poor translation via Google Translate shows..

The port of Jabor is a rare port of good port. Once a large boat from the inland arrives at the port of a rare variety of goods and enters the port, a large le schooner, a conference port competes from various parts of the Marshall archipelago and gathers at Ja Hak Come, and make a jaboo / L Bustling. / IGG's Signet of Understanding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM

72,742 posts, read 64,203,456 times
There was that one short-wave radio receiver, who said she picked up a signal that was from AE, reporting that she's in the Marshal Islands. And the woman reported this to authorities, multiple times, apparently, and was quoted as saying, "Why doesn't anyone believe me?"

If her plane went down in the water--reports conflict on this score--how would AE have been able to use the radio? If it was the Japanese who forced her plane down, they wouldn't have allowed her to use the radio, anyway. According to the History Channel version of the story, they forced her to land on an island with too short of an airstrip, so the plane overshot the strip, and ended up in the lagoon. According to reports by a couple of islanders recorded on film by another researcher, the plane went down "between Mili and Jaluit".

Either way, I don't see how a radio message could have been sent out from Mili Atoll, unless she managed to get a message out before the radio/plane fuselage went underwater, and before Japanese personnel landed to collect her and Noonan.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,017,413 times
Compelling evidence but still no actual Proof. I still believe she was abducted by Aliens and dropped off on Mars.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM

18,005 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Can anyone here read Japanese? Just curious what the text says beneath the picture.
Google translates it as:

The life line of the sea My figure of the South Sea: South Seas archipelago photo book

Published date--showa 10.

The CNN article that claims to debunk the Saipan theory says that showa 10 means the 10th year of the Showa emperor or 1935. Could that date possibly be "off" either by mistake or by intention? I'd like proof that the photograph actually existed in 1935. Or maybe that the date give "could" be off by a few years.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Google translates it as:

The life line of the sea My figure of the South Sea: South Seas archipelago photo book

Published date--showa 10.

The CNN article that claims to debunk the Saipan theory says that showa 10 means the 10th year of the Showa emperor or 1935. Could that date possibly be "off" either by mistake or by intention? I'd like proof that the photograph actually existed in 1935. Or maybe that the date give "could" be off by a few years.
Why would they even put that photo into a photo album book of the South Seas? I must have missed a segment of the show?? I missed the fact that the photo is from a book published in Japan. Where was that? That photo doesn't even show any scenery; why would it be included?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:00 PM

Oh, a friend just emailed me a link to an article by a Japanese historian, about the book the photo came from.

Well, IMO, even if the photo is not of EA & Noonan, it wouldn't disprove the Saipan theory. It only would mean that the History program researcher chose the wrong item to feature in the show. He thought the photo was a big breakthrough, but an invalid photo doesn't discount all the testimony from the locals in the Marshals and Saipan. There's also testimony from former US servicemen who saw her plane being burned by US personnel on Saipan, and one guy who had her briefcase, after a safe was blown up, and he spotted a briefcase inside, and grabbed it, not knowing it was EA's. He was surprised the contents were "bone dry"; they were papers of EA. He didn't say what kind of papers.

But I suppose that oral testimony isn't hard proof, like a photo would be, or other document.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:10 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, a friend just emailed me a link to an article by a Japanese historian, about the book the photo came from.

Well, IMO, even if the photo is not of EA & Noonan, it wouldn't disprove the Saipan theory. It only would mean that the History program researcher chose the wrong item to feature in the show. He thought the photo was a big breakthrough, but an invalid photo doesn't discount all the testimony from the locals in the Marshals and Saipan. There's also testimony from former US servicemen who saw her plane being burned by US personnel on Saipan, and one guy who had her briefcase, after a safe was blown up, and he spotted a briefcase inside, and grabbed it, not knowing it was EA's. He was surprised the contents were "bone dry"; they were papers of EA. He didn't say what kind of papers.

But I suppose that oral testimony isn't hard proof, like a photo would be, or other document.
So, you talk about having a link, yet you don't post it for us to look at, or even tell us what they said?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
So, you talk about having a link, yet you don't post it for us to look at, or even tell us what they said?
I thought posters already knew about it, since the book and publication date are being discussed. I thought I'd missed something in the film, or the discussion here, since "what they said" is already under discussion. Give me a second--I'll post the link.

Here you go:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-amelia-earhart-photo-bs_us_59664c48e4b005b0fdca6dae?ncid=inblnkushpmg00 000009

Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM

18,005 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Quote:

Yes, the photo doesn't necessarily prove or disprove anything. It could or could not be valid but there is still a lot of evidence pointing to the theory of the tv show. To be honest, the whole hype about the new photograph turned me off a bit and at the beginning of the show, the eerie music and the hyped up narrative made it seem more like an episode of the Twilight Zone. For me, when they got to the eyewitness accounts, that made it a lot more believable.

And the Saipan theory was put forth long ago in the 1960s with even more eyewitness accounts. I read that Admiral Nimitz even admitted it to the author of that book, Fred Goerner. Goerner said it was Nimitz' admission that got him going in the first place.

For anyone who's interested, here's part of an online book that possibly contains pertinent information and speaks of eyewitness accounts:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kf...patton&f=false

I think it's General Patton they are speaking of and that he conducted his own investigation. Some confusion arose because Goerner, the book writer, at first took the eyewitness stories to mean that the plane crashed in Saipan. Patton took it that the plane crashed in the Marshall Islands and was taken to Saipon. Goerner later realized his mistake and also concluded that the plane had landed in the Marshall Islands. Both of them took their information from eyewitnesses.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,642,852 times
Quote:
There was that one short-wave radio receiver, who said she picked up a signal that was from AE, reporting that she's in the Marshal Islands. And the woman reported this to authorities, multiple times, apparently, and was quoted as saying, "Why doesn't anyone believe me?"

If her plane went down in the water--reports conflict on this score--how would AE have been able to use the radio? If it was the Japanese who forced her plane down, they wouldn't have allowed her to use the radio, anyway. According to the History Channel version of the story, they forced her to land on an island with too short of an airstrip, so the plane overshot the strip, and ended up in the lagoon. According to reports by a couple of islanders recorded on film by another researcher, the plane went down "between Mili and Jaluit".

Either way, I don't see how a radio message could have been sent out from Mili Atoll, unless she managed to get a message out before the radio/plane fuselage went underwater, and before Japanese personnel landed to collect her and Noonan.
Apparently it went down in an area with a lot of coral. It was in the water, but not fully. At least that's how I understood it. I don't think she was shot down. It took the Japanese military a while to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or