U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,501,537 times

Advertisements

Travis Wall brings a dizzying, sudsy dance spectacle to UCLA - LA Times

So, Lex and Gaby are part of Travis Wall's company before the show ... oh ShowBiz is a lie! I had an inkling that the people that were chosen were already chosen by the producers. Still, "all-stars" need to go away, as well as Travis Wall (his choreography is ok at best when they aren't knocking off other choreographers in the dance world ... oops too much?) - meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 AM

103 posts, read 40,069 times
I tape the show and fast forward thru all the judges' comments and especially when "Cat" blabbers. Can't stand to hear her talk. I no longer enjoy the show like I used to, but it has become a habit.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 AM

951 posts, read 873,581 times
I've had some recent problems with my Roku device, so just now caught the latest episode. Maybe I just love dance and am not too critical, but I enjoyed the dancing a lot, and felt some numbers were wonderful. Bored with the judge's comments, didn't really like the culling of the finalists, (I felt bad for so many), and most commentary could have ben shortened. But the dance numbers were fun, entertaining, inspiring, and some had surprising depth for this first live show of the season. I wish I could remember names....Robert and his chosen one were beautiful, as was Marko and his choice. The tap number by Gabby & Lex was bright and sparkling. I loved some of the street dances like those with FikShun and Comfort---they were so much fun, and witty. I look forward to more!

Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,730,399 times
Last night's elimination was the right one.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,790,588 times
I have to agree. He just didn't have enough for all styles of dance. In his element, he is fantastic.

It is going to get tough though. All the rest are very talented. They will have to be absolutely great in each round in order to make it through each week.

I really hate when it goes to the audience for the final votes. Then it becomes a popularity contest instead of a talent contest. At least most of the judges know what they are watching for.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM

I am really enjoying Mark (Comfort's partner), both for his fantastic dancing and his engaging personality. He was terrific in the intense and gritty routine he performed with her (the lighting was great!) which involved the use of a pair of chairs in a totally integrated manner---hard to believe his specialty is hip-hop/b-boy---and he also performed his solo beautifully.

I am liking Lex more each time he performs, and he did a very complicated Argentine Tango with Gabby, plus his solo was a "wow" performance! I thought Kiki and Jenna gave a good try in their hip-hop number---wasn't the clothes and make-up fun on that one? kiki's solo was good, too...I'd guess it is a little harder to stand out as a male dancer doing a solo ballroom number.

Kaylee's solo was impressive, and her routine with Cyrus (with his blue hair to match hers!) was great---a dynamic duo! I enjoyed everything about Marko and Koine's African Jazz number, from their amazing dance moves to the clothes and make-up. Robert and Taylor's Broadway routine couldn't have been more different than M & K's, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, too, and thought they made it believable. Dassy is another one I think will stay for a while, and the Bollywood piece she performed with FikShun was fantastic, even allowing for the minor mishap.

My favorites? Not sure just yet, but will watch Mark, Lex, and Logan plus Dassy, Taylor and Koine. I thought the lighting was superb in this episode, not distracting or competing, but actually enhancing the performances. And applause for wardrobe/make-up, too!

Old 08-19-2017, 05:35 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,495,426 times
The dancers are all so good this year that I can't pick a favorite.
Choreography, costumes, and lighting are strong too.

But Vanessa Hudgens' judging comments are getting on my last nerve.
I've always recorded SYTYCD episodes because I fast-forward through the boring (to me) dancer backstories and also the silly rehearsal clips. I don't like dancers or choreographers telling in advance what the dance story or narrative is going to be. If they have to tell me, that means it's a fail.
Now I fast-forward through Hudgens' comments too. I don't recall ever doing that for any guest judges in prior season; for the most part I enjoyed them.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 AM

I always watch on Hulu so I am a day or so later with my comments.....I really enjoy this show and look forward to it every summer. Logan and Alison started off the show with a fast jive routine choreographed by Sasha and Emma from "Dancing With the Stars". There were so many fabulous solos during this episode---I especially noticed how sharp Kiki's was.

I love the chemistry between Marko and Koine and enjoyed their wonderful simultaneous movement in the Hip Hop number. Another couple with amazing chemistry is Mark and Comfort, and their contemporary routine was dramatic with such beautiful movement.

Travis Wall was the choreographer for the group number performed by the all stars, and I found it to be both disturbing and poignant.

Lex and Gabby had a difficult, fast paced Broadway routine---Lex had some spectacular moves in it. I have to mention Kaylee and Cyrus---theirs was precise, clean, stylized with hat tricks included! I thought that the number performed by Jenna and Kiki was lovely and spell-binding....I think it was my favorite of the night.

I found it hard to believe that Mark was in the bottom 3---or Dassy, too. I guess that demonstrates how talented these young dancers are this year. And I have to say it, even if it's rude, but I thought Mary's dress was so unflattering!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:19 AM

Is anyone watching? I love this show! The level of talent this year is amazing and I hate to see any of the contestants leave.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,790,588 times
I've been on vacation and have to watch the last two shows I have recorded.

I LOVE this show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or