U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 873,403 times

Advertisements

This is slightly off the subject but I think the whole concept of "binge watching" versus watching one episode a week for a few weeks a year can change how we feel about a show or its characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 AM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Yes--
And it doesn't allow for the ground swell of "water cooler" conversation that often drives people's interest
This hasn't been happening even with shows that were availalble on line
First time it was all bundled together was with Kevin Spacey's political show
That was groundbreaker and then eventually think it was why people lost patience or their taste--a little bit of Frank Underwood goes a long way

I wonder how a show like The Sopranos or The Wire or Deadwood would have turned out if they were available in one fell swoop
Think it works better for shorter duration shows--mini series--more than the longer versions
True Detective S1 did much better because it was serialized vs full blown
The ending was a disappointment to many viewers and if they had been able to plow through all the episodes one after the other then telegraph the ending I don't think it would have been as well received or rated--even as unique as it was and with such great acting...

Old 09-28-2017, 12:12 PM

17,354 posts, read 3,528,493 times
This....from bisquitmom below

And a thrilling series, loved it....and the historical aspects.

I read an excellent book on building of the transcontinental railroad...

NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD
by Stephen Ambrose

recommended as an adjunct to the show

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
One of my all-time favorite series and characters. Cullen Bohannon is a very complex fully developed character, masterfully acted by Anson Mount. Not a hero, certainly but also not an anti-hero.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--
And it doesn't allow for the ground swell of "water cooler" conversation that often drives people's interest
This hasn't been happening even with shows that were availalble on line
First time it was all bundled together was with Kevin Spacey's political show
That was groundbreaker and then eventually think it was why people lost patience or their taste--a little bit of Frank Underwood goes a long way

I wonder how a show like The Sopranos or The Wire or Deadwood would have turned out if they were available in one fell swoop
Think it works better for shorter duration shows--mini series--more than the longer versions
True Detective S1 did much better because it was serialized vs full blown
The ending was a disappointment to many viewers and if they had been able to plow through all the episodes one after the other then telegraph the ending I don't think it would have been as well received or rated--even as unique as it was and with such great acting...
Here is my observation with this. Lately, with shows on Netflix, my wife and I will watch 1 episode every couple of days which for us is perfect because for thought provoking shows, we will talk about the characters and the episodes. This actually gives us more enjoyment on the show besides the 40 minutes we are watching it.

Now, I was able to binge watch the Sopranos and I burned through multiple episodes a day and had the series completed in no time. Yes, this was done a while ago, but I can't tell you all that much about the show. I remember the character faces and scenes, but I don't remember any of their names. It was very memorable while watching because it was a great series, but since I burned through it, no real attachment was generated with the characters. I think this is what is lost when you binge watch a series. The character attachment isn't as strong.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:04 PM

5,328 posts, read 3,589,684 times
I really liked Bohannon as a whole.

He was a very complex character that struggled with his own morality, very similar to how a lot of people struggle today. He wasn't afraid to make a decision with a negative impact if he felt like it was for the greater good. He made the best choices that he could most of the time, but as any other human does there were times when he could have chosen differently. I found it oddly refreshing that he could keep his wits about him while likely dealing with the internal struggle of losing his family.

I think he paid a lot of respect to the rail workers and even went to bat for them during a time when sticking up for a slave was heavily frowned upon. He tried to do so in such a way as to gain their respect without losing the respect of the people he reported to.

I was really attached to that show and never missed one episode. I often spent the week thinking about what may happen in the next episode. It has been rare occasion for a show to grab my attention as that one did.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:05 PM

32 posts, read 15,588 times
Liked Bohannon character, storyline, acting, writing, but I couldn't finish the last series because of the dizzying camera work. Too many closeups, almost every shot is done with a hand-held camera. Thought I was watching MTV in the 90s, or the Blair Witch Project. The series began with more traditional style camera work, then slowly got worse each season.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 PM

7,646 posts, read 5,402,223 times
We liked Bohannon very much.

He was the anti-hero hero. Great character

Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,756,518 times
I liked Hell on Wheels, watched every episode but thought Bohannon was the weakest part. If there was something heroic or courageous necessary, they made Bohannon do it. But then they'd add countless killings and A-hole behavior. It's like they were celebrating someone frequently doing good and evil. Not in an enlightened way like Walter White in Breaking Bad, but in am irresponsible way, glorifying him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV