U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 PM

8,536 posts, read 6,667,275 times

Advertisements

Holy Shiite this is a lame show. Only 2 teams and only a few players per team -- 5 or 6 I think.

Used to love this show and looked forward to watching it every single time. How is it possible to ruin a show like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 AM

3,569 posts, read 4,197,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Holy Shiite this is a lame show. Only 2 teams and only a few players per team -- 5 or 6 I think.

Used to love this show and looked forward to watching it every single time. How is it possible to ruin a show like this?
I gave this a try, as I like American Ninja Warrior, and thought... hmm, maybe this will be similar.

Let's just say I was as wrong as anyone could be. Season Pass deleted, recording deleted, eyes bleached. This was terrible.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:14 AM

3,800 posts, read 3,429,946 times
Thanks to both, I won't even bother to catch up with this.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Zero sense of excitement, very little camaraderie, nothing funny. The hosts weren't even close to being Howard Cosell. They were a committee-chosen team of gray mush.

I was surfing past an old epi of NYPD Blue earlier in the day and saw Willie Garson. Hey, that's Mozzie! Then about half an hour later I saw an ad for BotNS and he was in the promo. Hey, that's Mozzie! I've gotta watch! Turns out he wasn't even on the show. Apparently they're going to stretch this out ALL summer. Yay!

But they cancelled Downward Dog. Smart move ABC!

I stayed tuned for The Gong Show afterwards because I ran out of stuff on DVD and it actually wasn't bad.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,397,091 times
I'm glad I passed on it. Thanks for making sure I don't waste my time on it.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:03 PM

5,681 posts, read 2,790,609 times
I actually got a kick out of it, though as others said--it's not as good as the original. That series is a sort of time capsule show that would be virtually impossible to fully replicate. I appreciate ABC making the effort, though, because the landscape of TV is so different nowadays that it would not have been possible to totally follow the old format.

The smaller groups of competitors balances out when you realize they're going to produce eight or ten consecutive episodes rather than the special event-type format of the old "battles". They didn't do the events in front of spectators like they used to, so that brought the level of excitement down somewhat. Pepperdine U is a beautiful venue, but with no spectators around, it seemed as if the events were being done in an abandoned park!

I liked when they were able to drop in clips of folks like Kim Fields competing in the original series to complement their appearance in the new series. It was strange how certain stars seemed to have the cameras following them in every event, while other stars competed but were hardly seen, much less interviewed. I also think it's ridiculous to have the tug of war event award so many more points than the other events.

With this many celebrities appearing over the course of the series, I'm sure the fees (translation: paychecks to stars) had something to do with the smaller teams as well as the mix of celebrities. The "motivation" to appear on the original series might have been different (the networks might have forced them to do it as part of their contractual agreement to "promote their show"). An army of 80-100 TV celebrities can't come cheaply.

Having seen the complete list of celebs appearing over the course of the series, I'll continue watching simply because there are people in each episode (some more than others) I want to see.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,281,421 times
Fell asleep. Guess I didn't miss much?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 AM

Just wondering if anyone is still watching this? Has it gotten any better?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:48 PM

5,681 posts, read 2,790,609 times
Each episode uses the same sports/events, just with different actors. Some would say this makes it formulaic/repetitive, but I think enjoyment of this series is likely based mostly on whether you know/like the actors involved in that episode.

The lack of spectators still gives the show a feeling of isolation, like the stars are at day camp or something.

The generally friendly attitudes of the teams tends to take away from the feeling of "high stakes competition" of the original, but I prefer this honesty to having the teams cook up fake rivalries or trash talking just to give the impression that they're at war.

This week they have a team of primetime soap stars (Donna Mills!!) against an assembly they call "ABC kid stars".

Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 AM

6,907 posts, read 11,694,838 times
Recycled entertainers still trying to make a buck. If they hadn't wasted all their earnings they could have happily retired with their heads still held high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or