Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

I find it strange that I keep reading how in Breaking Bad, the episode Ozymandias, is often voted by many as the best episode of the series.

Cause you don't see any other shows that have a majority voted best episode, accept for maybe Seinfeld with The Contest episode.

Are there any other shows that have a general consensus vote on having one best episode that epitomizes the rest of them, or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Most shows have a best episode
Off the top of my head
MTM- chuckles episode
Seinfeld- the contest
Newhart- finale
House's head
ER- loves labour lost
Six feet under finale
Sopranos- college

That's just the first ones that came to mind but every series has an episode considered the best

Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I find it strange that I keep reading how in Breaking Bad, the episode Ozymandias, is often voted by many as the best episode of the series.

Cause you don't see any other shows that have a majority voted best episode, accept for maybe Seinfeld with The Contest episode.

Are there any other shows that have a general consensus vote on having one best episode that epitomizes the rest of them, or no?
I'm sure there are many shows that have a best, or favorite, episode. But the reason Ozymandias is often singled out is because it may be, not just the best episode of BB, but the best episode of almost any series, ever.

Ozymandias is the only episode of any show I have watched, that I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach when it was over. Literally felt stunned, shell-shocked. Most powerful hour of TV I've ever seen. And I watch Game of Thrones, Sopranos, The Wire, and many others.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Oh okay. It was a pretty good episode . I would say some episodes of 24 came close as far as TV goes, but haven't watched Sopranos or The Wire much yet.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
I've said it before.. I don't think Ozymandias is the best episode of BB.. I prefer the lead in to it.. To'hajiilee

I thought the buildup was better than the payoff.

Don't get me wrong. Ozymandius is a hell of an hour (or so) of television.. But I liked the chase to it more.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Off the top of my head
MTM- chuckles episode
Seinfeld- the contest
Newhart- finale
House's head
ER- loves labour lost
Six feet under finale
Sopranos- college

That's just the first ones that came to mind but every series has an episode considered the best
House - "One Day One Room" is probably my most favorite episode of any tv show.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Off the top of my head
MTM- chuckles episode
Seinfeld- the contest
Newhart- finale
House's head
ER- loves labour lost
Six feet under finale
Sopranos- college

If every series has an episode considered the best by majority, where do you find that out for other series?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
I think it is a combination of two factors:

*The degree to which viewers, over 60+ episodes and five seasons, had been emotionally vested in the world of Walter White and Jesse Piunkman, and

*The spectacular and viscerally-emotional way in which that world - particularly from the point of view of our protagonist, Walter White - comes crashing down around him.

The death of Hank.
Walt's cold-blooded selling out of Jesse.
His frantic flight in the aftermath.
The struggle with Skyler over the knife.
His taking of Holly, then the realization that he cannot.
The final, forlorn departure of Walt.

Simply put, there was so much emotion packed into that episode that it could not be anything other than the consensus #1 of the series.

As others have noted, however, other series have the consensus 'best episodes'. What's impressive is that Breaking Bad does so, because it was so consistently good that there were many great episodes. But again, it all goes back to the creation of that fictional world, the way the writers made the audience care so deeply about that world and the characters that populated it, and the gut-punches, one after the other, that blew apart that world.

The final two episodes were just a coda, albeit an exceptional one.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
If every series has an episode considered the best by majority, where do you find that out for other series?
I guess you could try finding a forum that discussed tv shows, and ask posters about what they think is the best episode of different tv shows.

But are you wanting to then go watch these "best of episodes"? Unless you've seen the whole series, you might not understand why fans consider certain episodes the best. Not to mention, everyone has different opinions of what they consider the best and why.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:26 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I think it is a combination of two factors:
<snip>
The final two episodes were just a coda, albeit an exceptional one.
Very well said, and great analysis. Especially the coda part. It's often been said that Ozymandias was the true end of Breaking Bad, and the last two episodes were just tying up loose ends. I like your coda concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV