U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:16 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,249,926 times

Advertisements

I am always ambivalent about series endings, especially if I really love the series.

Justified did end well, although I hated seeing Boyd end up in the hoosegow. But, yeah, the conversation between Raylan and Boyd at the end was a nice way to end the series. And I kind loved that Ava got away scott-free.

I didn't like how Mad Men ended--way too ambivalent re: Don Draper's story line and just plain underwhelming re: the other characters. But, then, Matthew Weiner did this with The Sopranos as well with a last ep that gave the audience almost no closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,751,682 times
Some think the end to Little House was great. Some absolutely hated it.

I tend to think most males loved the exploding buildings, while the females did not.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,253,079 times
Best:

Six Feet Under - WOW, just WOW
Breaking Bad

Worse:
Lost

Old 07-06-2017, 11:54 AM

8,144 posts, read 6,006,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Series that ended well:

THE SOPRANOS

I disagree, somewhat. The run up to the end, and even the last episode were great.. It was the last 30 seconds that killed it. Had they left that cut to black out and just faded out.. That would have been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Best:
Breaking Bad

Yeah.. That's got to be one of the best that I can remember. The important stuff wrapped up nicely. Questions left unanswered, but questions that COULD be left unanswered. What happened to Jesse? Did he go get Brock, etc, etc.

Others mentioned the Newhart show.. Whichever one it was.. Agree.. But.. That one probably couldn't happen today because of spoilers.

MTM was the gold standard for a long time.

MASH.. Conflicted on that one.. The whole Hawkeye breakdown thing.. I was OK with that, other than the root cause of it. The woman killing the baby. It seemed too much a departure. I was OK with him finally cracking, but not the reason behind it.

A funny one.. Futurama has had 4 different series finales. Devils Hands are Idle Playthings, the final Fox episode was very good. Into the Wild Green Yonder which was the final direct to DVD was just OK. Overclockwise was OK to good and Meanwhile was a good episode to bow out on (assuming there's not yet another revival)

Old 07-06-2017, 01:02 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,009,633 times
I agree with those who said Dexter had a horrible ending. I think the last two seasons were awful. They pretty much screwed the pooch on that ending.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:22 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,512,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I would like someone to explain to me (genuinely) why "How I Met Your Mother" is widely considered one of the worst series endings ever. I binged the show not too long ago and while the final season probably dragged longer than it should on I dont get the hate.
When I first watched it, I didn't love it but understood it. Most people hated the fact that they dragged on about Robin and Barney's wedding only to have them divorce not even halfway through the finale. They also thought that we didn't get enough time with the mother and that they introduced us to her only for her to die and be a vehicle back to Robin.

However, the story was always about Ted and Robin and their friends. Did I love that they ended up together in the end? No. But it made sense. I just genuinely liked Robin with Barney and didn't want that relationship to end.

All, in all, it has grown on me a bit. I still don't love it, but I dislike it less now.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Married With Children was unceremoniously canceled and never given a proper finale. That show helped put a young Fox network on the map and they just canceled it. SMH
My Name Is Earl is another one canceled during the off season. The final episode of the fourth season was even a 'To be Continued' episode that never continued.
Agree with both of the above. Both shows deserved better.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:28 PM

I personally enjoyed all of LOST, even the finale so I'm in the minority there.

I also enjoyed the ending to Mad Men.

I like not having all the answers and having everything wrapped up in a bow.

I also loved the ending to Parks and Rec and to Grimm.

Best:
Breaking Bad

Worst:
Dexter

Old 07-06-2017, 01:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 1,593,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Best:

Six Feet Under - WOW, just WOW
I was wondering when someone would mention this one. Greatest ending of all time. An absolutely closed-the-book ending that left zero loose ends and no unanswered questions.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,293,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
[b]<>
Series that did not end well:

<>
HAPPY DAYS, which defined "Jumping the shark"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV