U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,850,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Those are included in prime at no additional charge? I may have to look into that as that would save me money with Sling since I do have a prime account. I rarely use it for TV though, mostly for shipping. =) n
You have to pay for a subscription to watch HBO, Starz, or Showtime on Amazon Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 01:55 PM

494 posts, read 337,063 times
I know people who stream only and love it, but I don't think I could be one of those people yet. Whenever a new service comes out I look into it, but decide to just stick with what I have. Though I did downgrade my dish service to the flex plan 5 months ago. So right now I have the dish flex plan for $58 and Netflix for $10. I also have internet and Amazon Prime, but I don't view either of those as TV costs.

I may be able to cobble something together to lower my bill further, but I like my current setup and I am willing to pay $68 a month for it.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,519,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You have to pay for a subscription to watch HBO, Starz, or Showtime on Amazon Prime.
Thanks. The poster I was replying to made it seem like it was included. That was confusing.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:23 PM

7,176 posts, read 7,628,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Those are included in prime at no additional charge? I may have to look into that as that would save me money with Sling since I do have a prime account. I rarely use it for TV though, mostly for shipping. =) n
No they arent. They most likely get them because they are subscribed to them through their Directv package

Old 07-08-2017, 07:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 988,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Detest watching a movie with 3-5 commercials every 5-7 minutes, and even worse, it is the S-A-M-E
commercial shown over and over 3-5 times through the entire movie!

Then to find out what a scam The streaming device's advertising is! You still have to purchase 'BUNDLES' to get the channels you want, like Home & Garden, The Food Network, Nat Geo,ect!

So those ads saying pay only for the channels you want....is FALSE Advertising, as there are still sure to be some channels in the BUNDLES that you care nothing about, and channels you want but are NOT included!

So think very carefully before you cut that cable service! I would suggest instead, to keep a basic hi-def bundle and add Netflix or similar that does have the programs you want for an added monthly subscription.
Maybe going w/o cable isn't for you depending on what channels are important to you. In my case I started saving around $120/month when I gave up AT&T U-verse tv and phone and just kept their internet service. I went with Roku and an antenna for tv, and Ooma Telo for my phone. Happier with what I have now than when I had cable. Have more to watch than I have time for. Even with a Netflix and/or a Hulu subscription I'm still saving over $100/month. Sometimes I'll throw in another service like Acorn TV for British tv or Sling Tv for the NFL Combine or NFL Draft, the latter being very rare for me as it's too expensive in my opinion and I don't watch most of the channels. Britbox is a service I haven't tried yet but for $6.99/month I'll give it a try soon.

I'm surprised you can't find channels on Roku to watch. Some of them do have tons of commercials, and honestly I tried going that route when I first bought Roku and couldn't watch them because they were too annoying. That's when I broke down and paid for Netflix. It only takes a few shows to get hooked on to give you many hours of video. And when that service bores you it's time to cancel and go with another like Hulu or trying something completely new to you like Britbox or Acorn TV if you like British tv.

Discovered recently that the free channel SnagFilms on Roku doesn't have commercials. Not sure why, they do give you an option to purchase ad free for .99 cents but you don't need to. I started watching two different shows and neither had advertisements. About a half hour in they started acting like they were going into a commercial but it just said SnagFilms and started playing the movie/documentary again.

Also, don't forget about private channels like channel Pear (I watch for Fox News), and X TV (some good free options in the On Demand and LIve TV sections, although not all work). I was able to catch up on Game of Thrones on X TV and catch part way up on The Walking Dead. If you're not sure how to add private channels Google Roku private channels and get the codes, go to your account page on Roku's site and select add channel and place your code there and hit add channel.

Youtube also has endless hours of video to watch on almost any topic you can think of.

I wouldn't write off Roku just yet. Heck, I rarely look at the new channels in the channel store. There are hundreds more since I bought my Roku three or four years ago. For people that like games they have a lot more games than they used to. I don't use them but I'm sure some people do enjoy them.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 AM

8,159 posts, read 11,917,579 times
Watching Playstation Vue with Amazon FireTv for $39.99 a month and that includes locals from NYC.

Previously paying $127 for Directv and I'm not going back.

Even with the highest Playstation Vue package of $75 with movie/sports channels way cheaper than my old Directv with basic channels.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM

245 posts, read 91,451 times
I have had a roku box for years now. I used to have ten or more channels on it, and now I am down to four. Netflix, hulu+, amazon prime, and youtube red. I dropped the others like history etc because of the ads, but they're even worse now. Unless an app charges some kind of subscription fee they almost all now require you to prove you have a cable account. You have to enter your cable username and password to watch them. I have hated cable companies business practices for years now and this crap makes it much worse. The main reason I went to roku was so I could drop cable, and cut down on ads and cost, and now their influence has crept into streaming devices. Just pisses me off no end. I will never pay for cable tv again. One last thing, youtube red has quickly become my most watched app. No ads, and it has become the encyclopedia of the world to me. So many topics it's unreal.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:35 PM

5,591 posts, read 4,818,659 times
It all depends on what you want to watch.

I have a leaf antenna. I get 81 channels but only program 25 in. I use youtube for cable news but that is only during certain events and seldom watch it at other times. Movies come from the library. Netflix about 1 month a year and usually there isn't a months worth to watch.

I still get 12 hours of football every Saturday and about 10 on Sunday. Home team is always on even if it is an ESPN game then they show it locally on ABC.

It would be pointless for me to pay for TV.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:49 AM

11,169 posts, read 6,651,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No research here. Antenna, Hulu and Netflix on my AppleTV, and that's it. I don't need entire "channels" (I do use the PBS channel on the AppleTV, but if I didn't have it I wouldn't be heartbroken, since I pick up PBS on the antenna).
Yes, I have antenna, Prime, Netflix, and HBO. I don't need anything more then that. And even Netflix I only end up having for about 3-4 months out of the year.

Oh, and I do watch the CW app as well. For some reason the antenna doesn't pick that channel up.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:47 AM

8,013 posts, read 3,965,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Maybe going w/o cable isn't for you depending on what channels are important to you. In my case I started saving around $120/month when I gave up AT&T U-verse tv and phone and just kept their internet service. I went with Roku and an antenna for tv, and Ooma Telo for my phone. Happier with what I have now than when I had cable. Have more to watch than I have time for. Even with a Netflix and/or a Hulu subscription I'm still saving over $100/month. Sometimes I'll throw in another service like Acorn TV for British tv or Sling Tv for the NFL Combine or NFL Draft, the latter being very rare for me as it's too expensive in my opinion and I don't watch most of the channels. Britbox is a service I haven't tried yet but for $6.99/month I'll give it a try soon.

I'm surprised you can't find channels on Roku to watch. Some of them do have tons of commercials, and honestly I tried going that route when I first bought Roku and couldn't watch them because they were too annoying. That's when I broke down and paid for Netflix. It only takes a few shows to get hooked on to give you many hours of video. And when that service bores you it's time to cancel and go with another like Hulu or trying something completely new to you like Britbox or Acorn TV if you like British tv.

Discovered recently that the free channel SnagFilms on Roku doesn't have commercials. Not sure why, they do give you an option to purchase ad free for .99 cents but you don't need to. I started watching two different shows and neither had advertisements. About a half hour in they started acting like they were going into a commercial but it just said SnagFilms and started playing the movie/documentary again.

Also, don't forget about private channels like channel Pear (I watch for Fox News), and X TV (some good free options in the On Demand and LIve TV sections, although not all work). I was able to catch up on Game of Thrones on X TV and catch part way up on The Walking Dead. If you're not sure how to add private channels Google Roku private channels and get the codes, go to your account page on Roku's site and select add channel and place your code there and hit add channel.

Youtube also has endless hours of video to watch on almost any topic you can think of.

I wouldn't write off Roku just yet. Heck, I rarely look at the new channels in the channel store. There are hundreds more since I bought my Roku three or four years ago. For people that like games they have a lot more games than they used to. I don't use them but I'm sure some people do enjoy them.

What an excellent, informative post, thank you!
I love some series on Netflix such as Longmire, Escape To The Country(like a UK-House Hunters), The Great British Baking Show, and I've always been an avid fan of YouTube.Did not know about Britbox, and will definitely be getting this($6.99 per month after a free trial period.)for The Great Chelsea Garden Challenge
The Instant Gardner
Around the World in 80 Gardens
I also plan to check out the commercial-free Snag Films, which I also didn't know about!

Your suggestion about seasonal(Sling TV for sports) or rotating subscription channels is also an excellent idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or