Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? Quite honesetly, do not see how a reality show is even an option. I mean they do follow a script, but are not professional actors. I saw Carol Burnette on The Big Interview who said it "We did a variety show with 70 costume changes, now days that would cost a furtune but they can do a reality show for $1.98, although the talent is there." So agree. Glad to see SNL win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
I'm not sure what you mean by reality shows shouldn't be an option. They're in a category by themselves. They aren't up for any writing or actor nominations. Reality tv shows are a thing, why shouldn't those who work on them get recognized just like anyone else working in tv?

Carol Burnett had a variety show, which is the category SNL is in. It has nothing to do with reality shows or their budgets. But then, I don't see where you are getting the reality show budget from. Yeah, they're cheaper to make then a scripted show with actors, but they're not thst cheap.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:27 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Worst Emmy (or Oscar) show I ever watched.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
It felt low-budget and a little too casual (for example, the lack of statement dresses), but it moved along nicely and had a fun, upbeat tone.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Worst Emmy (or Oscar) show I ever watched.
I didn't care for it either, and I have always watched. Emmy's = TV, being a bit different level from the Academy Awards and Golden Globes shows, but yeah, this was the worst I have seen. Boring and seemed "off-kilter".

Old 09-18-2018, 04:28 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
The hosts were TERRIBLE. I’m a big fan of award shows, and even I thought this one blew. Couldn’t even be redeemed by Betty White and a marriage proposal. (Which were great moments!)

Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
From what little I've read about it this morning, so glad I didn't watch. Ugh.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I caught the second half of this. Between the two jamokes hosting it and the trash talk, the Emmys are now in the gutter with the Grammys and Oscars. There's not even a semblance of elegance remaining.

The biggest joke was the traipsing on stage of the Gianni Versaci winners, where the audience got a lecture about homophobia and persecuted gays. Wait...Versaci, a gay, was killed by a gay guy, who murdered another gay guy and three straight guys...Okaaay.

Some things never change.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
I thought it was ok. Nothing super special, but not as bad as one would think based on the comments above. The politics weren't that bad, there have always been political statements made at award ceremonies.

It was interesting how they announced the category, and listed the nominations, before they brought out the presenters for each award. I like that idea. It goes quicker, and no name mangling. Although I think Merritt Wever (what a deserving winner) still had hers mispronounced.

When Kenan Thompson announced Game of Thrones as the winner of Best Drama, did anyone else see a slight eyeroll? Almost like "again?".

Colin Jost & Michael Che were ok. I think they intentionally toned down their monologue and jokes, to avoid being controversial, and as a result, it lost some punch. I'd rather see them let loose 100%, torpedoes be damned.

All in all, not a bad evening.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I caught the second half of this. Between the two jamokes hosting it and the trash talk, the Emmys are now in the gutter with the Grammys and Oscars. There's not even a semblance of elegance remaining.

<snip>

Some things never change.
Actually, things always change. What seems to not be changing is you. You're not going to find a return to the 1950s or 1970s. Just as today's music is "garbage compared to what we had growing up", award shows and actors are changing too.

They aren't trying to attract old people, they want young eyeballs. Admittedly, all award shows are dropping in the ratings, that's just the way TV is going. But all in all, their primary target is not us old people.

No one under the age of 65 uses jamoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV