Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for some shows to be good but at the same time you feel they are over hyped? Are there any shows you've felt this way about? Like do some shows have a bandwagon effect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
You will get a wide variety of opinions - some popular and some unpopular - but in my mind two that immediately came to mind:

Modern Family - it's just good. Definitely not great and definitely doesnt deserve the hype it gets.
Breaking Bad - So many people treat this show like the be all end all of tv and while it was a great show it wasnt the second coming of tv.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I think a lot of well-done but fluffy shows accumulate enthusiastic fanbases that read a lot more depth and importance into the program than is really there. Doctor Who, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which I loved, don't get me wrong), Lost, etc...

I'd add Star Wars, but that's not a TV show

Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
There are a lot of shows that are probably excellent, but I won't watch because I grow so tired of the hype. Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Modern Family - it's just good. Definitely not great and definitely doesnt deserve the hype it gets.
I don't think MF is good at all. It's consistently mediocre. A typical sitcom with typical writing saved by some very funny actors. But I'll admit I have a very low tolerance for sitcoms. I'm tired of the formula.

Quote:
Breaking Bad - So many people treat this show like the be all end all of tv and while it was a great show it wasnt the second coming of tv.
Yes it was. It was one of the best shows to ever air on TV.

I enjoy GAME OF THRONES. I own the DVDs. I watch it often. But I don't think it is a spectacularly great show. It's good, but in terms of writing HBO has done better. THE SOPRANOS and THE WIRE were both far better than GoT has ever been. GoT definitely is more spectacle than HBO has ever done before, and maybe that is part of the allure? Cops and robbers are a dime a dozen on TV, but how often have we had a really good Fantasy epic? Never.

TRUE BLOOD was way over hyped. The first season was actually pretty good. After that it ranged from silly to bad to outright terrible.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Friends. Has really high reviews, but idk, watching the show I thought the humor was kinda bland. Maybe because I caught one of the later seasons but I don't know why

Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Quote:
BB for sure. I enjoyed it, until the last couple of seasons, but it's hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's not. There are better shows in every way.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Quote:
This is one of the few shows that I have enjoyed from beginning to end. I liked every episode of this show, including the ending (which many shows fail to do right). I definitely think this was one of the best shows on tv.

Always Sunny In Philadelphia Everyone I know raves about this show and I have never found one episode funny. People talk about it at work, the gym... I don't get it. I've watched maybe 5 full episodes and I just do NOT get it.

The Mindy Project Again, this is one of those shows that friends are constantly trying to get me to watch. They rave about how funny it is and how amazing the writing is. I watched 2 episodes and did not get the hype.

The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock These are all the same to me. Don't get why people love these shows.

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences when it comes to tv, so I am not by any means knocking peoples opinions... I just don't get it, because they are clearly not shows I am interested in or found funny.

And just for fun lets add HIMYM to the list It's basically a rip off of friends which was done much better.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post

The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock These are all the same to me. Don't get why people love these shows.

These three are great examples. I binged all of them on Netflix and really liked all three. People talk about "The Office" like it is best comedy to ever air.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:50 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Well I greatly disagree on Breaking Bad being too hyped -- I think it deserves all the hype it gets. Can't beat the fantastic writing, the knockout acting, perfect casting, all around great production and compelling storyline.
And I think GOT is over-the-top amazing---can't hype it enough!!

But I do think The Walking Dead is totally over-hyped. It's repetitive, overly predictable, mediocre acting, sometimes ridiculous, and mostly boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV