Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 06:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

New BBC series playing on Sundance Wed
"The Split"
Title is two fold
It refers to oldest daughter who was partner in her mom's family law firm until her mom didn't step down as promised so she left to join another firm--they disagree on how to manage a divorce...
Her middle sister is still there...various levels of sibling rivalry displayed personally and professionally...
Nicola Walker plays Hanna Defoe Stern--always a strong performer although usually a dour personality--
This time she has an attractive hair style and wears some decent clothes...
Her father deserted the family 30 yr's ago but shows up E1/her mother's birthday to wreak a little havoc with his former family...

The title also refers to the "family law" aspect of these firms-
they deal with "splitting families" mainly --divorce and child custody
So fidelity and its abuse are explored with the clients coming to the law firms and the relationships of the main characters themselves...

Not sure if this has been renewed--- has 6 episodes total I think--
And it has one left to play on BBC I believe because Wikipedia didn't have summary of all of them listed

Usually audiences have to wait for a time lag between BBC/ITV showing and moving to US platforms
Nice to be viewing relatively currently...wish they would do that with other UK shows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 06:19 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
dour personality......LOL, yes that describes perfectly so many of walker's characters. and i also think she's a strong performer.

thanks for the heads up/review. sounds good.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 AM

I like UK tv and have seen her in various programs over the years and while I agree her talent is awesome, I find she is always cast as someone who has a serious demeanor, the rational/dour one among any variation of characters
I don't know WHY casting directors do that unless it is the physical perception of her own innate character traits--and her eyes--which in American slang might be described as "soulful" or "Bassett-like"....
She is a good actress but she normally plays some variation of the same character
This one---Hannah Stern has at least the opportunity to have a flattering hairstyle and clothing...
If you saw "River" you saw her as one of the darkest characters after Marley's Ghost and Scrooge...

Old 06-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Still watching The Split--
I like having to wait between episodes
Gives you time to think

One think I have noticed that grates on me is the hairpiece of Christy--the guy in her firm whom Hannah had a fling with night before her wedding...played by Barry Atsuma
It just looks really fake to me---
Makes everything about him come across as fake--

Last edited by loves2read; 06-24-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 PM

Finished E6--
There will be an S2 I believe--did very well in England--
Didn't get much attention in US--
Very good show and acting was excellent
It was enjoyable to see Nicola Walker in a different type of performance
She is so good at being "shy/hesitant"
Everything about her presence is involved...

If it had been on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon it likely would have had higher profile
Sundance just didn't do anything to advertise it that I noticed...
I don't understand why the channel would invest that type of money and not try to make more out of it...

Old 06-28-2018, 11:33 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Thank you for the recommendation. I don't have Sundance channel but my sleuthing abilities (hehe) are good enough, I can usually find them online somewhere. I'm going to look for this one, based on what you describe about the show. I like Sundance channel. They have the most interesting shows. The last one I watched was Rectify. Really enjoyed that one so I'll look for The Split. Thanks again

Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 AM

Yes--I have tried to get friends to watch to have someone to talk with about the show but so far no takers

I was really glad she made the decision she did...

Last edited by loves2read; 06-29-2018 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV