U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:45 PM

3,808 posts, read 2,012,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I thought Ayana's pieces were original and aesthetically pleasing. Some of her pants were so amazing I would have worn them. Like Tim always says, "it's a matter of taste." There's nothing anyone can do about that.
Oh don't get me wrong, I liked stuff from each one, but no one made me " Yes! Awesome work!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 05:46 PM

860 posts, read 440,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I really thought Kentaro would win because he was the most conceptual, and that's what one would look for in a New York runway show.

I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post bmwguydc. I agree with much of what you wrote though I was rooting for Margarita and am a little more charatible towards some of her missteps.

I too thought it quite bold to mention Herrera, and De La Renta, but I don't think she really "compared" herself to them rather she said she would like to become like them.

Funny, If you remember in about the second challenge Margarita did what looked to me like a Mexican Fiesta dress and got serious criticism. She then moved away from the Latin influence and did some OK designs that showed some talent and sewing skill I thought. For the final she went back too far into the tropical look but I really thought she could have had a shot if she had found a middle ground.

I had posted here earlier that I didn't think Brandon stood a chance for the reasons that did play out. So I was not surprised that Kentaro won. As you wrote his was the only real Fashion Week quality show.

Ayana was limited even more so than Brandon. I understand the modesty thing for her religion, but I keep thinking it's kinda like on Top Chef. Even when the Chef is a vegitarian, they have to cook meat at times to compete in the challenges. They have to cook it, they don't have to eat it.

If Ayana felt she had to stay totally with the modest things well, OK, but she's not going to win Fashion Week which is full of people interested in marketing fashion.

I enjoyed the season though watching some of those flashbacks I see yeah there were much stronger groups. At least we have All-stars coming up
Dave

Last edited by mauialoha; 11-19-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post bmwguydc. I agree with much of what you wrote though I was rooting for Margarita and am a little more charatible towards some of her missteps.

I too thought it quite bold to mention Herrera, and De La Renta, but I don't think she really "compared" herself to them rather she said she would like to become like them.

Funny, If you remember in about the second challenge Margarita did what looked to me like a Mexican Fiesta dress and got serious criticism. She then moved away from the Latin influence and did some OK designs that showed some talent and sewing skill I thought. For the final she went back too far into the tropical look but I really thought she could have had a shot if she had found a middle ground.

I had posted here earlier that I didn't think Brandon stood a chance for the reasons that did play out. So I was not surprised that Kentaro won. As you wrote his was the only real Fashion Week quality show.

Ayana was limited even more so than Brandon. I understand the modesty thing for her religion, but I keep thinking it's kinda like on Top Chef. Even when the Chef is a vegitarian, they have to cook meat at times to compete in the challenges. They have to cook it, they don't have to eat it.

If Ayana felt she had to stay totally with the modest things well, OK, but she's not going to win Fashion Week which is full of people interested in marketing fashion.

I enjoyed the season though watching some of those flashbacks I see yeah there were much stronger groups. At least we have All-stars coming up
Dave
That is true, she did want to move into the Carolina Herrera/Oscar de la Renta space, not exactly comparing herself to them right now. I think she has talent, too, and liked some of her work, but it was cheapened by the profanity. Tim saw something in her, and with his expertise in the field, I do not think he is wrong. And, her family is lovely, such that I do not see the parents as the type to use profane language with the regularity that was portrayed (no doubt some edited for drama as it's reality TV).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 AM

987 posts, read 398,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Watched the finale. I was not impressed with any of the collections.
Overall, I agree with this assessment. It was especially apparent to me when I watched the 15 minute "extra" clip that they run between episodes where they showed the winning collections of the last 10 (?) winners at NYFW. It was a reminder of how excellent and striking many of the past designs were compared to the blah that was on the runway this time around.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,226,072 times
Personally I preferred Brandon's collection. I thought his was very wearable. IMO

Old 11-30-2017, 11:47 PM

778 posts, read 736,945 times
Anyone watch the reunion show?

I thought it was OK. They seemed to give Ayana more air time than anyone else. Not sure what the reason was for that. Almost giving the impression that she should have been the winner instead of Kentaro.

I'm not sure how much time had passed between the finale and the reunion show but I wish they would have asked them what they have been doing or what their plans are for the future.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,629,130 times
I think they gave way to much airtime to the "twins". I found that whole thing completely tedious.

The rest of it, was nice enough. Though I missed maybe the last 15 minutes? I had to take care of something and it was right after Tim said he had a clip he would show right after the break........

Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 AM

778 posts, read 736,945 times
Now that I think about it you are so right. They did give a lot of time to the twins that could have been given to others who deserve it more.

The clip you might be referring to was of Tim and some of the funny things he said or his expressions when talking to the designers.

I am looking forward to the all star show. The only thing I don't like is the different hostess and judges.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:20 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,818,976 times
Yes, the reunion show was a little too friendly and polite. Good for Amy for going after Twin#2. Can't believe that one denied what everyone knew that she did. Did you see Twin#1 mouthing right along with her? They obviously planned what she would say.

I'm looking forward to the next season, too, but not because it's All Stars, I just like Project Runway. I'm tired of too many of the All Stars in the upcoming season - let's have more NEW people, not rehash old losers. Not that I won't be watching!

I actually love Isaac Mizrahi as a judge. I've never figured out why Alyssa Milano is even on there though - she's not particularly fashionable and she's not particularly good as a host. Surely they could have come up with someone better.

And Tim Gunn just cannot be equaled as mentor by anyone.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,377,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yes, the reunion show was a little too friendly and polite. Good for Amy for going after Twin#2. Can't believe that one denied what everyone knew that she did. Did you see Twin#1 mouthing right along with her? They obviously planned what she would say.

I'm looking forward to the next season, too, but not because it's All Stars, I just like Project Runway. I'm tired of too many of the All Stars in the upcoming season - let's have more NEW people, not rehash old losers. Not that I won't be watching!

I actually love Isaac Mizrahi as a judge. I've never figured out why Alyssa Milano is even on there though - she's not particularly fashionable and she's not particularly good as a host. Surely they could have come up with someone better.

And Tim Gunn just cannot be equaled as mentor by anyone.
No kidding...............why, oh why is she on there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or