U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 AM

34,653 posts, read 42,792,739 times

Advertisements

Would anyone who always watches want to share about the designers they found most memorable?

Remember Laura Bennett? She was a NYC architect/socialite who had her 7th kid after she was on the show. Her designs were rather traditional, but she was so interesting. I figured she would have her own show, but then her husband died suddenly, so I guess she's busy with all the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:32 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,824,601 times
Do you remember Santino? Creative designs, and such an interesting person! And the drama of his arguments with Nina! I also watched the show in which he and Austin Scarlet traveled the country using local fabric stores to design dresses for deserving women. That show was produced in a way that was really cloying (ech, I'm interested in the design process, not in getting my heartstrings tugged) and also sadly it made it really clear how crap fabric stores are now in most parts of the country (not a lot of nice garment fabric available in many places anymore.) I still loved watching Santino, though.

And do you remember the deaf contestant? So sweet and so hard working! HIs designs were hit or miss, but the heart he put into everything was wonderful to watch.

Mondo is memorable to me because I hate him so much. Get off my tv permanently, Mondo you poseur!

The red haired man who was a ballet dancer made clothes I loved. And I was half in love with him for being so interesting and kind, too (yes, I know he's gay). He was one of the judges during the selection process this season.

There are lots of others whose names I don't remember, but whose designs I liked.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:44 PM

3,293 posts, read 2,347,152 times
I've loved this show since I accidentally binge-watched the whole first season one weekend many years ago. I love the project and creativity aspect of it. I don't care about the drama, but if any are nasty or arrogant, I don't want them to win - go home.

Had many favorites over the years, I love seeing them again on all stars. I don't like the kid show though.

I remember Laura, always had a very low neckline and fringey type bottoms on her dresses.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 PM

724 posts, read 1,109,304 times
The producers must be inhaling all the attention Shawn "if I may" is getting. She really caught it from the guest judges. What I caught though was one of them saying to the other something like this: "that model isn't large, she is normal". Okay.

Some that were memorable in the positive context for me- Korto Momolo, Austin Scarlett (yes, I remember that show 601, and I enjoyed it too), and Dmitry. Another is Uli Herzner. Some years ago L&T sold a capsule collection and I bought one of her dresses.

It was her season, as gentlearts mentioned, that I remember the most clearly. I remember Laura Bennett; as her pregnancy progressed she switched from heels to flats. I didn't realize her husband died. One of the memories I have of her is when TG visited her home. Another reason I remember that season is for the designer I can't stand, Jeffrey. To me: just nasty.

Others I haven't liked very much: Wendy Pepper, Suede, and Joshua McKinley.

Thursday was a fractured evening for me. I saw some but not all of the episode. Must watch it On Demand. Unfortunately for me, Pippy, I'm located in Rocky Mountain High, aka Mountain time zone. Lifetime, Bravo and other networks offer, as far as I understand it, east or pacific zone feeds. The cable provider decides which to broadcast. On Bravo everything is later, on Lifetime, earlier. So, here, PR is new at 7.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:28 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,385,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Do you remember Santino? Creative designs, and such an interesting person! And the drama of his arguments with Nina! I also watched the show in which he and Austin Scarlet traveled the country using local fabric stores to design dresses for deserving women. That show was produced in a way that was really cloying (ech, I'm interested in the design process, not in getting my heartstrings tugged) and also sadly it made it really clear how crap fabric stores are now in most parts of the country (not a lot of nice garment fabric available in many places anymore.) I still loved watching Santino, though.

And do you remember the deaf contestant? So sweet and so hard working! HIs designs were hit or miss, but the heart he put into everything was wonderful to watch.

Mondo is memorable to me because I hate him so much. Get off my tv permanently, Mondo you poseur!

The red haired man who was a ballet dancer made clothes I loved. And I was half in love with him for being so interesting and kind, too (yes, I know he's gay). He was one of the judges during the selection process this season.

There are lots of others whose names I don't remember, but whose designs I liked.
ah, I'm so bad with names but who could forget Santino!!?? Austin Scarlett too. I loved the guy who was/is deaf (Justin??). Hated the winner Jeffrey. Hated Laura. Hate Mondo. Couldn't stand that Irina chick. Seth Aaron was one I recall that I liked; as in liked his designs. Remember that Gretchen girl? Never heard anything about her again. I think to date she is the worst winner yet. I just didn't "get" her designs. I think Dimitri (sp) was one of THE most creative/talented contestants ever. Who was that native American contestant? YUCK-just awful designs. I recall Anya as being pretty talented.
Remember Mychael Knight from Atlanta? I really liked him and his creations.
And Wendy Pepper who could forget her.
I'm trying to think of the weird chick's name who was from NYC and was hateful to Tim Gunn both on the show and when he visited her apt. So she had to have made it to the finals. She wore bright lipstick and kind of 60's style clothing??!! Was her name Kenley???

Old 08-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Pippy, I really liked the Native American lady. I thought the way she embellished fabrics was beautiful, and I thought she was very under rated.

I really didn't like the girl with the dagger fingernails and tattoos of being stabbed on her neck. Ick.
Weren't Uli, Laura and Jeffrey on the same season? That was a memorable one.

Christian Sirriano has made quite a career for himself. He was pretty memorable on the show.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,258,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Yeah why was there a different standard of scrutiny for her and the other guy who got eliminated the first round? Do other women get a pass on this topic to talk about other women so "freely"?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me the guy was just ignorant and used questionable descriptors and not genuinely turned off by plus size women. The shaved twin on the other hand seemed to be deeply affected by plus size women, I mean she didn't even construct most of her garments in this round and thought is was a hurdle, that the odds were stacked against her ...

Is there a double standard here? Or am I just recalling it incorrectly?
I don't think that ChiChi was eliminated b/c he used the word "fat"; I think that he was eliminated b/c he used the word "fat,"had issues designing, especially for a plus-size model and demonstrated a very questionable aesthetic (I think that Posen referred to ChiChi's aesthetic as "Rainbow-Brite unicorn" or something...)

The twin clearly has issues with designing for size 8+ models but her look showed more skill than that of ChiChi. So, no, I don't think that there is a double standard.

I think that it is clear that the prerogative of the judges this season is to challenge the designers further with size and present themselves as "progressive." However, I don't really understand why, as the fashion industry consistently continues to embrace emaciation. So, I can only conclude that the show is trying to get higher ratings by appealing to more women.

For what it's worth, I think that the twin was correct in referring to her model as "curvy;" a size 8 and up is considered "plus size" in fashion, and her model looked to me like a size 8.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM

724 posts, read 1,109,304 times
Pippy and gentlearts,

You are referring to Patricia Michaels. I don't personally know her but she is covered in regional news (where I am located). And, I have seen her work "in person". She comes across in interviews as gracious, intelligent, committed and dedicated. To me, this is how she seemed on the show. I was shocked when she was the first contestant eliminated when she appeared on All Stars.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
Pippy and gentlearts,

You are referring to Patricia Michaels. I don't personally know her but she is covered in regional news (where I am located). And, I have seen her work "in person". She comes across in interviews as gracious, intelligent, committed and dedicated. To me, this is how she seemed on the show. I was shocked when she was the first contestant eliminated when she appeared on All Stars.
Oh, that's interesting. I was shocked too. I think sometimes the judges are a bit dismissive of older artists. Patricia is a larger woman, too, so I think she's more relatable to viewers, but not the high fashion folks.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM

860 posts, read 441,657 times
Quote:
I've loved this show since I accidentally binge-watched the whole first season one weekend many years ago.
Funny Kara, that is exactly how I started watching! I've written before that I'm a construction worker and wouldn't have thought I would like it but man, even beyond the artistry, I respect the hard work the designers put into getting their looks done on time.

And I've liked every season but I think I like the recent seasons better Some early ones featured designers I didn't get like Seth-Aaron, and that guy with tatoos on his neck.

I really liked Kenley, and Christian, and most of the others that have been mentioned. I liked Mondo OK too but I can't understand how he chose ChiChi to be in this season.
Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or