Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I was thinking along the lines of Cersei using wildfire. While fire itself can't kill the dragons or Dany, what about an all out explosion? If it's strong enough to tear apart something as large as a castle, I can assume the concussion from it would easily blow a dragon into little bacon bits.
Ultimately the rules for what does or does not stop a dragon will be determined by the writers, and they are free to establish whatever reality they wish since this is a fantasy program. Dragons and people who can't be burnt can't exist within our own understanding of natural law, so GOT has already moved outside our limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I lean towards A, but I wouldn't be shocked if something happens between Littlefinger and Sansa. In the end I see Littlefinger bein killed by Sansa or possibly Arya. It's an interesting thought that Littlefinger may be the father of one of the girls. I doubt Sansa can be the daughter of Littlefinger, too much sexual affection from Littlefinger. But maybe Littlefinger doesn't know.
Littlefinger strikes me as a survivor, no matter what sort of crap rains down, he figures out a way to come out smelling like a rose. We already know that he will sell out anyone, anytime it suits his needs, even Sansa who he sold to the Boltons. Martin may have based him on Charles Maurice de Talleyrand who manged to smoothly switch sides numerous times throughout the French Revolution. He was a bishop under the royal government, rose to head of state under the Directory, Minister of Foreign Affairs for Napoleon, and managed to retain that job after the royal restoration.

If Dany wins, he will find a way to become important under her, if the Lannisters prevail Littlefinger will have done something to ingratiate himself with them.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Littlefinger strikes me as a survivor, no matter what sort of crap rains down, he figures out a way to come out smelling like a rose. We already know that he will sell out anyone, anytime it suits his needs, even Sansa who he sold to the Boltons. Martin may have based him on Charles Maurice de Talleyrand who manged to smoothly switch sides numerous times throughout the French Revolution. He was a bishop under the royal government, rose to head of state under the Directory, Minister of Foreign Affairs for Napoleon, and managed to retain that job after the royal restoration.

If Dany wins, he will find a way to become important under her, if the Lannisters prevail Littlefinger will have done something to ingratiate himself with them.
Naw, I think in the end, something will happen to him. While the most obvious picks for his demise are Arya, Sansa, Jon or even The Hound, there have been speculations that it will be Varys who does him in, since they both are the in contention of being know it alls.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Actually, the wall is considered a high honor by some. Sure, the dregs & criminals get sent there. But so do many highborn.
There seems to be some lip service to that, but have we seen any highborn there not as punishment or escape? I think the closest is Lord Mormont, but we don't actually know why he abdicated leadership of Bear Island, do we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
According to Ned Stark, there has always been a Stark who had taken the Black and manned the Wall. Jon Snow was just the latest to do so, like Benjen before him.
Do you remember when he said that? I must have missed/forgotten.

Quote:
The battle scene aboard the Ironfleets was confusing and lacked credibility....how could an entire fleet sneak up on another like that?
It's a combination of "reality is unrealistic" and a bit of artistic license with the scope and details of the thing. Nighttime sneak attacks were a real thing in the age of sail. Big sailing ships can be freaky quiet with a sufficiently disciplined crew - remember, they have nothing motorized.

I'm not a historian, just a history nerd, so I'm probably fuzzy on the details, but as I understand it, an attacker would have used the weather gage to close on the target, or just targeted vessels at anchor. The preferred method would be for boarding parties to row up in dories and swarm the ship in a stealth cutting out attack, as avoiding direct ship-to-ship combat gave a better chance of capturing (very valuable, very useful) ships intact, not to mention less risk to your own vessel(s). The brute force method of coming up hard and close with your own ships as Euron did was also done but it would probably be an unnecessary risk in the circumstances like those on the show, where the attackers had the advantage of surprise and cover...on the other hand, Euron doesn't seem like one to shy from unnecessary risks, lol. Either way, he's a pirate and probably the most experienced sailor on the show; it's not a stretch IMO that he'd be able to pull off a tactic sailing ship commanders successfully used in real life, albeit a dramatized oversized version of it.

Quote:
And in the case of GOT, the bar for the excellence had been set very high. The show has not become bad, it just suffers when compared to its earlier self.
Of course everything is subjective, but I'm rewatching the first six seasons now, and there's a quite a bit of variation in writing quality, particularly seasons 2-5. I think some folks are forgetting some of the weaker story threads (*cough cough Dorne*) and episodes from earlier seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
When Dany is saved by Drogon, season 5, episode 9, she clasps hands with Missandei, then closes her eyes like she is trying to use telepathy to cry for help from Drogo, and then he shows up.
I see how one could read that scene that way, but in the absence of any supporting evidence, she also could just have been, like, dying with dignity. It was established Drogon was in the area, that dragons are attracted to carnage, and that Drogon is especially attached to Dany, so IMO Dany doesn't need any extra superpowers to explain her dragon swooping in.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Something this season just isn't clicking with me. Did the show change writers? The writing isn't nearly as good in previous seasons. All subtext is gone. Everything is right on the surface, and dialogue is written solely to explain things to the audience. Major plot points make no sense at all.

Is this what happens when the TV writers leave Martin behind?
I was thinking the same thing. I thought this episode was not very well written at all, and the direction wasn't very good either.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree with the bolded. My question is, why do those scenes have to go on for so long? The bedpan montage went on and on and on, and then again with the greyscale removal. We get it. Move on.

There are so many other things they could have spent that precious time on, considering the short season and how much story they have left to tell.
I actually fast-forwarded through the bedpans when they just kept going on and on and on....

And why did they waste like 10 minutes on Grey Worm and Missandre affirming their love for each other? There are only a few episodes left. The writers should be paring down and focusing on the central characters and the main storylines.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 AM

Probably one of them is about to die horribly.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
n.

It's a combination of "reality is unrealistic" and a bit of artistic license with the scope and details of the thing. Nighttime sneak attacks were a real thing in the age of sail. Big sailing ships can be freaky quiet with a sufficiently disciplined crew - remember, they have nothing motorized.

I'm not a historian, just a history nerd, so I'm probably fuzzy on the details, but as I understand it, an attacker would have used the weather gage to close on the target, or just targeted vessels at anchor.

One ship might sneak up on another as you described, but an entire fleet could not possibly get in among another without detection. Remember...both sides are equally blind in the dark. There would be numerous collisions as the enemy fleet closed. If there was enough visibility for one ship to specifically target another, as was depicted i the scene, then there was enough visibility for them to be seen as they moved in.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
One ship might sneak up on another as you described, but an entire fleet could not possibly get in among another without detection. Remember...both sides are equally blind in the dark. There would be numerous collisions as the enemy fleet closed. If there was enough visibility for one ship to specifically target another, as was depicted i the scene, then there was enough visibility for them to be seen as they moved in.
Probably why they didn't give us a big-picture view of where the rest of the ships of either fleet were. Presents more questions than it answers.

Of course, having a traitor aboard waving a signal light is the easiest explanation for how one ship can be picked out of many in the dark. But that's just speculation, nothing to back it up.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Probably why they didn't give us a big-picture view of where the rest of the ships of either fleet were. Presents more questions than it answers.

Of course, having a traitor aboard waving a signal light is the easiest explanation for how one ship can be picked out of many in the dark. But that's just speculation, nothing to back it up.
I think that they cast credibility aside in favor of staging that dramatic entrance by Euron Greyjoy.

He must have had night vision goggles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV