U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM

2,494 posts, read 1,855,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
You forgot someone.
Davos - Still delivering the best lines.
Davos is worth the price of admission alone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 AM

2,494 posts, read 1,855,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're misjudging Varys. He is the closest person to a John Adams in Westeros. He is out for the best interests of the people. As long as he thinks Dany is their best hope at peace and justice, he'll serve her faithfully. If he ever doubts her, he'll start working against her. He's already told her this outright. She'd be wise to take him at his word.
The question is....when does he start to doubt her? People like Jon and Tyrion will fight you to no end whereas I'm not sure Varys would give you much warning of his shifting intentions. He'll argue his point but he's not that pushy. He's definitely full of valuable advice, but I'm curious how much she trusts him.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM

32,116 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The question is....when does he start to doubt her? People like Jon and Tyrion will fight you to no end whereas I'm not sure Varys would give you much warning of his shifting intentions. He'll argue his point but he's not that pushy. He's definitely full of valuable advice, but I'm curious how much she trusts him.
There was one more prophecy given to Danaerys by Quaithe back in Season One, "Beware the perfumed seneschal". It's been noted in past seasons that Varys always wears perfume.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:28 AM

27,613 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Cersei's surely got the battlements lined with scorpions and lord knows what else by now. The dragons are tough but not indestructible, and what's more, it'd only take one lucky shot to off Dany herself. It's one thing if she's flying around as a moving, flaming, terrifying target in battle, but if she parked Drogon long enough to speechify, she'd be a sitting duck.
I don't envision Dany parking Drogon on a cliff and giving a speech to the masses in KL. They wouldn't be able to hear her anyway. What I envision is using some combination of Varys, Qyburn and others in KL to drive Cersei out of power. And using the threat of her dragons and large armies to incite rebellion against Cersei.

The war could be ended within an hour if Dany promised Qyburn lands and titles. There's no reason to think he's loyal to Cersei for any reason beyond the power she's given him. Dany could take the Longshank approach from Braveheart ("I doubled their lands") and use soft power to depose Cersei backed by a threat of hard power.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM

27,613 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're misjudging Varys. He is the closest person to a John Adams in Westeros. He is out for the best interests of the people. As long as he thinks Dany is their best hope at peace and justice, he'll serve her faithfully. If he ever doubts her, he'll start working against her. He's already told her this outright. She'd be wise to take him at his word.
Varys has become a watered down character. He was much more interesting as a backstabbing, double crosser in Season 1. They've since framed all of his actions as being "for the good of the realm" and in the process taken away a lot of the moral murkiness that made him an interesting character. We now see Varys as a sort of noble "ends justify the means" guy instead of a person who may have questionable ends to begin with.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 AM

39,028 posts, read 23,160,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Samwell is a sworn member of the Night's Watch, and as such can't claim the Tarly lordship. The only person in the entire series who was able to legally leave the Watch was assassinated and resurrected - his death fulfilled his vow.

Then again, the old rules may no longer matter when death marches on the Seven Kingdoms. I can see many people rising to prominence by the end of the series.
Samwell's son can claim the lordship. Samwell can run things while his son grows up?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 AM

8,007 posts, read 5,299,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Samwell's son can claim the lordship. Samwell can run things while his son grows up?
Samwell has no son yet.
Little Sam is Craster's baby, born of incest. Not a good candidate for a Lord, as we have seen.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 AM

3,980 posts, read 2,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The Baratheons are an offshoot of the Targaryens. Aegon I's bastard half-brother married the "Storm King's" daughter and founded House Baratheon. More recently Rhaelle Targaryen, daughter of Aegon V married Ormund Baratheon. Their son Steffon was the father of Stannis, Robert and Renly, so Robert's grandmother was a full blooded Targaryen and all of House Baratheon descended from Targaryens from the beginning.

Varys remarks at one point in the show that Robert could sit on the Iron Throne because he had a legitimate claim to it through his royal Targaryen blood. The above is how he had it. So, since Robert was descended from Targaryen stock, then so to is Gendry.
Right, I forgot about that. Still...I think Rhaelle actually would have been half Targ bloodlines at most, since they weren't being all incestuous at that time, right? So Gendry is what, no more than 1/16th Targ?

Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM

5,092 posts, read 4,363,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Varys has become a watered down character. He was much more interesting as a backstabbing, double crosser in Season 1. They've since framed all of his actions as being "for the good of the realm" and in the process taken away a lot of the moral murkiness that made him an interesting character. We now see Varys as a sort of noble "ends justify the means" guy instead of a person who may have questionable ends to begin with.
Varys has been stripped of his little birds. Qyburn now controls them - at least in Westeros.

I believe that the early Targaryen failures (the capture of Yara Greyjoy and Ellaria Sand and the destruction of Yara's fleet, the Unsullied becoming trapped in a now impoverished Casterly Rock, the loss of Dornish and Martell allies) are due mainly to Team Targaryen flying blind.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Every couple episodes (this last episode a glaring example) I am troubled by the travel thing. Yeah I know it would be a boring show if they were more realistic and it took the expected time to travel from one end of the continent to the other in a row boat. But still, if you (I) think about it, the speed of traveling from one place to another, be it by horseback, by foot or by boat, is a little much.

Of course travel by dragon is a different story......... If Elon Musk is a fan of the show I bet he is inventing dragon travel right now! Oh, wait a minute..... He already has.
It is a little goofy, because it seems to be taking the White Walkers 5 years to travel to the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or