U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,464,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
More suspension of disbelief in an order of magnitude that makes no sense at all. Jamie and Bronn went into the water with hundreds of Dothraki and some Lannister survivors around. Then they burst out of the water gasping for breath, and no one is around?

I guess now we have to believe they can hold their breath for about an hour, maybe even longer?

The writers are forcing us to accept silly plot lines now, making GOT look a lot more like LOST, with (still) better writing and production values. At this point they must know we have no choice but to keep watching, since it is close to the end. But, weren't they hoping we would all be their for the prequels/sequels? Maybe not so much now.
Fire breathing dragons, white walkers, giants, children of the forest, trees that cry blood, people who can warg into animals, a woman who can't be burned by fire, and THIS is what you choose to find unbelievable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 05:50 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It was they guy who turned him into a eunuch when he was a boy.
That's it, thanks. In that case, carry on, Varys....

Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Fire breathing dragons, white walkers, giants, children of the forest, trees that cry blood, people who can warg into animals, a woman who can't be burned by fire, and THIS is what you choose to find unbelievable?
His point was valid.

In writing a Fantasy story, it is perfectly acceptable to invent all sorts of wild things like flying fire-breathing dragons, sentient trees, ice zombies, etc. Provided that once you establish the rules, you stick to them. If your story establishes that dragons can only breathe fire on Tuesday afternoons after a large meal of jalapenos, then you have to stick to it. You can't toss that rule out the window when the plot needs it.

But even Fantasy stories should not expect us to just forget that people can't breathe underwater, can't hold their breath for forty minutes, and normal human beings cannot swim while wearing forty pounds of armor.

It really does seem like the writers have completely switched off their brains this season. They're going for spectacle alone and ignoring things like a coherent plot, character integrity, logic, or just plain common sense. It's almost like Michael Bay took over this season.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Episode 6 was leaked by HBO Spain. People who watched said it was very dramatic.

Watching when i get home tonight.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:21 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Episode 6 was leaked by HBO Spain.
HBO is really behind the times on this. Airing an episode once a week? Why? When the whole series is in the can? This isn't 1982. Times have changed.

One of the reasons (besides the obvious high quality) that Netflix shows like STRANGER THINGS or UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT or NARCOS became such huge hits and pop culture moments is that people binged watched them over a weekend, talked about them all week, then binge watched again.

HBO needs to realize the pirates are beating them at their own game, and in the end, there isn't much they can do to stop them. They can whine and complain about it. Or they can realize the rules have changed and get in the game.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,464,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
His point was valid.

In writing a Fantasy story, it is perfectly acceptable to invent all sorts of wild things like flying fire-breathing dragons, sentient trees, ice zombies, etc. Provided that once you establish the rules, you stick to them. If your story establishes that dragons can only breathe fire on Tuesday afternoons after a large meal of jalapenos, then you have to stick to it. You can't toss that rule out the window when the plot needs it.

But even Fantasy stories should not expect us to just forget that people can't breathe underwater, can't hold their breath for forty minutes, and normal human beings cannot swim while wearing forty pounds of armor.

It really does seem like the writers have completely switched off their brains this season. They're going for spectacle alone and ignoring things like a coherent plot, character integrity, logic, or just plain common sense. It's almost like Michael Bay took over this season.
Maybe, but we don't really know what happened in between. Bronn wasn't wearing armor. Maybe he was able to pull Jaimie up for air a few times as they were being pulled away from the fighting by the river's current.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 AM

1,380 posts, read 649,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Episode 6 was leaked by HBO Spain. People who watched said it was very dramatic.

Watching when i get home tonight.
I watched about 5 minutes of episode 6 this morning...think I'll wait until Sunday to finish it though.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 AM

36,945 posts, read 17,425,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
More suspension of disbelief in an order of magnitude that makes no sense at all. Jamie and Bronn went into the water with hundreds of Dothraki and some Lannister survivors around. Then they burst out of the water gasping for breath, and no one is around?

I guess now we have to believe they can hold their breath for about an hour, maybe even longer?

The writers are forcing us to accept silly plot lines now, making GOT look a lot more like LOST, with (still) better writing and production values. At this point they must know we have no choice but to keep watching, since it is close to the end. But, weren't they hoping we would all be their for the prequels/sequels? Maybe not so much now.
It appeared to me that they came up on the opposite bank from where Jamie went into the water, making it all even less credible. Look at the scene, the burning aftermath of the battle is on the far bank from where they emerged. So not only did Bronn pull him from the deep, he apparently towed him across the water, shoved him back down under the water, and then pulled him back up again.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 4,357,785 times
Quote:
Maybe, but we don't really know what happened in between. Bronn wasn't wearing armor. Maybe he was able to pull Jaimie up for air a few times as they were being pulled away from the fighting by the river's current.
Thank you, that river comment clarifies something for me.

When Jaime and Bronn popped up out of the water at the start of episode 5, it appeared to me that they were at least a quarter mile away from the wreckage of the battle site. I had assumed that they had landed in a small lake, but they are more likely to have been by the river Blackwater Rush. The river current explains how they covered the distance.

Bronn may be good at a lot of things, but he's no Michael Phelps.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post
I watched about 5 minutes of episode 6 this morning...think I'll wait until Sunday to finish it though.
How was the quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or