U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,082 posts, read 19,729,078 times
Reputation: 17201

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe, but we don't really know what happened in between.
If the scene leaves the viewer confused, the writer failed. If the audience has to come up with excuses to figure out the giant plot hole, then it means you're looking at bad writing.

That entire sequence of events made no sense whatsoever on many levels. It was done for the spectacle alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Houston/Brenham
3,571 posts, read 4,199,889 times
Reputation: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If the scene leaves the viewer confused, the writer failed. If the audience has to come up with excuses to figure out the giant plot hole, then it means you're looking at bad writing.

That entire sequence of events made no sense whatsoever on many levels. It was done for the spectacle alone.
I promise you, 99% of viewers had no confusion whatsoever. Bronn saved Jaime by pushing him into the river, and then pulled him out. They aren't pondering details about river current flow, or depth, or anything. It was a dramatic scene, and worked. The typical viewer doesn't need exposition on all this. It's a great story, well-told, superbly acted, and it's enjoyable by anyone who can rise above the nitpick level.

It's just like the travel distance issue. You can either waste viewer's time (and it's *very* limited at this point) bogged down in the details, or just let the story flow. Do we really care about how long it took to get to The Wall, or around Westeros? I'm starting to sound like a broken record--GRRM made us spend hundreds of pages in these details, and as a result, the books suffered.

One can say "Wow, they made it to the Wall quickly", and either move on, or waste time arguing how it was possible. And if that's what makes one happy, great. I love to discuss details, and dive deep into a show, but I also understand (IMHO) what's worth losing sleep over.

If it's important to the story, they will tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 522,525 times
Reputation: 1664
While I can nitpick as well as anyone, and I don't like it when standard laws/rules are broken without a new rule/law/precedent being established first, I just remind myself that it's entertainment, not a documentary. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont think Cersei is telling the truth about being pregnant.

and looks like next episode will be AWESOME!!!!
Geeze Louise, I missed this....When and who did Cersei tell she is pregnant?

I disliked the way she didn't want to believe her little brother didn't kill Joffrey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Reputation: 15310
I love the dragons, but I'm not sure burning all those people sent the right message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM
 
5,092 posts, read 4,362,013 times
Reputation: 4337
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Geeze Louise, I missed this....When and who did Cersei tell she is pregnant?

I disliked the way she didn't want to believe her little brother didn't kill Joffrey.
She told Jaime, after his return from the Battle of the Loot Train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I promise you, 99% of viewers had no confusion whatsoever. Bronn saved Jaime by pushing him into the river, and then pulled him out. They aren't pondering details about river current flow, or depth, or anything. It was a dramatic scene, and worked. The typical viewer doesn't need exposition on all this. It's a great story, well-told, superbly acted, and it's enjoyable by anyone who can rise above the nitpick level.

It's just like the travel distance issue. You can either waste viewer's time (and it's *very* limited at this point) bogged down in the details, or just let the story flow. Do we really care about how long it took to get to The Wall, or around Westeros? I'm starting to sound like a broken record--GRRM made us spend hundreds of pages in these details, and as a result, the books suffered.

One can say "Wow, they made it to the Wall quickly", and either move on, or waste time arguing how it was possible. And if that's what makes one happy, great. I love to discuss details, and dive deep into a show, but I also understand (IMHO) what's worth losing sleep over.

If it's important to the story, they will tell us.
I don't know, always thought I was detail oriented until I started reading other posts on shows like this....when I watch movies, series, etc....I don't concern myself with details, the story line either holds my attention or not.

This one I love.....it is a wonderful show and I'll be sorry to see it end.

although my head won't retain names and must watch it several times to catch everything. (ugh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 AM
 
1,381 posts, read 650,427 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How was the quality?
It was HD, but had a small logo on the right side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Reputation: 40569
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I promise you, 99% of viewers had no confusion whatsoever. Bronn saved Jaime by pushing him into the river, and then pulled him out. They aren't pondering details about river current flow, or depth, or anything. It was a dramatic scene, and worked. The typical viewer doesn't need exposition on all this. It's a great story, well-told, superbly acted, and it's enjoyable by anyone who can rise above the nitpick level.

It's just like the travel distance issue. You can either waste viewer's time (and it's *very* limited at this point) bogged down in the details, or just let the story flow. Do we really care about how long it took to get to The Wall, or around Westeros? I'm starting to sound like a broken record--GRRM made us spend hundreds of pages in these details, and as a result, the books suffered.

One can say "Wow, they made it to the Wall quickly", and either move on, or waste time arguing how it was possible. And if that's what makes one happy, great. I love to discuss details, and dive deep into a show, but I also understand (IMHO) what's worth losing sleep over.

If it's important to the story, they will tell us.
Yeah, people who haven't read the books don't know how much filler Martin has in them. Someone traveling around. What's being served at a feast (stuffed hummingbird wings with an Dornish blood orange garnish, sweet wine, Arbor Gold, hippocras, sour wine, stuffed haunch of venison with cranberries, bread warm from the oven, etc.) or what someone is wearing (a milky white velvet doublet, a cape of cloth of gold with silver cloth of silver hashes fastened with a clasp of his House's sigil wrought in silver with ruby eyes, an ivory pommeled Valyrian steel dagger in a scabbard chased with ivory runes of the First Men).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
She told Jaime, after his return from the Battle of the Loot Train.
was that when she kissed him and told him, don't betray me ever again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top