Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wonder if Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen are included as Robert's "six and ten" in that prophecy.
The prophecy distinguished between Cersei's three children, none of whom are Robert's, and Robert's children, none of whom are Cersei's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
I wonder if Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen are included as Robert's "six and ten" in that prophecy.
I don't think so since they're not his. I think those are her 3.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Of course not. Also, I remember it as "twenty"? Is "six and ten" from the book?
It's from google. I wanted a refresher since she's pregnant. I figured it would be important.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Ah, but it's not the weight in the water, but the specific density of the objects. Jaime, shed of his armor, most likely floats, or is at least neutrally buoyant. So Bronn just has to lug the 40 or so pounds of armor and weaponry attached to Jaime. Add in a drag coefficient and the inertia at rest for Jaime's body, if you'd like, but the big factor is the dense metal.

While I'm no Bronn, I did once drop a 20 lb Cruise-N-Carry outboard motor into about 10 feet of very cold water one early April afternoon and I immediately dove in after it, fully clothed. I made it back up with my outboard, but there was a point where I was wondering whether I was going to reach the surface with my burden.

As for Bronn reaching the far bank, I dunno. I jumped into a lake.
Yeah. Presumably Jaime was at least trying to swim, as well. Probably would have made more sense to show him shucking part of the armor, but I don't think it's too far outside the realm of reality that Bronn could drag him to shore, especially if one's willing to make a slight allowance for being tough guy main characters, lol. Here's a regular guy trying to swim in full armor - he's actually able to paddle some, even without help.
[vimeo]13634653[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/13634653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Those sorts of things have not been my complaints. I get annoyed with things like their showing Bronn emerging with Jamie on the opposite bank from where they went into the water. Or the show expecting us to believe that no one at the Black Castle would have bothered sending a raven to Winterfell with the news that Brandon had turned up alive. Or that Euron Greyjoy could slip an entire fleet in among Yara's ships without it being detected. Or Euron using a ship under sail to ram another ship.

Those weren't "deliberate choices", they were goofs.
Ravens can be intercepted. It would have been better to include a throwaway line to that effect, yes, but it's not really a plot hole, IMO. Euron's attack was somewhat over-the-top, but..eh. Did he actually ram Yara's ship, or did he just collide then drop his boarding claw thingamabob? I'd have to rematch the scene.

They never give us a good look at the disposition of Yara's fleet before Euron arrived, or the conditions, so I'm neither inclined to engage in too much nitpicking nor too much apologetics.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The prophecy distinguished between Cersei's three children, none of whom are Robert's, and Robert's children, none of whom are Cersei's.
"Will the King and I have children"?

Ten and six and three, etc.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:

They each stand alone, grammatically speaking.

Will the king have children? Will I have children? He has 6 & 10 and she has 3.

Silly question but what does 6 & 10 mean? 16? If so then why not just say 16?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
They each stand alone, grammatically speaking.

Will the king have children? Will I have children? He has 6 & 10 and she has 3.

Silly question but what does 6 & 10 mean? 16? If so then why not just say 16?
The implication is with each other.

Martin needed to add words. Plus, it's a prophecy. It has to be wordy and, ideally, cryptic and obtuse.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:

Supposed she had asked "Will my sister and I have children?" The same response would not be referencing children they had together. When she asked will the king and I have children, the response could be interpreted either way.

Besides, don't you know that it is the job of all seers to be annoyingly vague about some details?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Y... Euron's attack was somewhat over-the-top, but..eh. Did he actually ram Yara's ship, or did he just collide then drop his boarding claw thingamabob? I'd have to rematch the scene.
Yes, Euron actually rammed Yara's ship. Scenes of Euron's fleet show ramming prows on the ships, such as were on Greek triremes. The problem is that Euron's fleet is comprised solely of sailing ships, which don't have a reverse gear. There's no way for a sailing ship to disengage from its rammed victim.

As for the boarding ladder, triremes did have such items attached to their bows, but sailing vessels boarded their opponent ships by pulling up aside and crossing via multiple boarding planks - you could get more attackers across to the other ship faster. Euron was alone on his boarding plank and sauntered down it. His fellow Ironborn took a few minutes to join him on deck of Yara's ship.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Ohh, maybe I should watch. I just remembered we'll be on an eclipse vacation this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV