U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Maine
16,387 posts, read 20,699,370 times
Reputation: 19003

Advertisements

So has Season 7 officially jumped the shark? screwed the pooch? nuked the fridge?

What is the best metaphor to describe this writing-wreck of a season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,216 posts, read 26,152,788 times
Reputation: 11682
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
No I can't. It's not on HBO, and I don't use illegal methods of watching TV episodes.
You can watch it on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 AM
 
8,052 posts, read 5,252,220 times
Reputation: 9196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So has Season 7 officially jumped the shark? screwed the pooch? nuked the fridge?

What is the best metaphor to describe this writing-wreck of a season?
It's called not having the full material from GRRM, having to pay too much money to the actors (budget), less episodes so they have to jam as much possible into every episode, etc. Season 1 is the GOAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,293 posts, read 1,089,340 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Speaking of Ghost, I vaguely recall a quick comment about Ghost this week, maybe from Sansa? Have we seen Ghost this season?
Yes Sansa made a comment along the lines of Jon shouldn't expect his people to be waiting for him at Winterfell like Ghost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM
 
5,444 posts, read 4,825,380 times
Reputation: 15030
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Yes Sansa made a comment along the lines of Jon shouldn't expect his people to be waiting for him at Winterfell like Ghost.
Which I think was made only because so many people complained about how Ghost was not in the battle against the Boltons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Maine
16,387 posts, read 20,699,370 times
Reputation: 19003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It's called not having the full material from GRRM, having to pay too much money to the actors (budget), less episodes so they have to jam as much possible into every episode, etc. Season 1 is the GOAT.
None of the actors on this show are being over-paid. Most of this show's budget is spent on sets, on-location filming, costumes, and special effects. None of that should affect the writing.

Have the showrunners just lost interest and are now focused on other things? Was Martin the real magic all along? Has Michael Bay murdered Weiss and Benioff and replaced them with mandroids?

It's really stunning how such a previously great show has gone so badly off the rails this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 AM
 
8,052 posts, read 5,252,220 times
Reputation: 9196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
None of the actors on this show are being over-paid. Most of this show's budget is spent on sets, on-location filming, costumes, and special effects. None of that should affect the writing.

Have the showrunners just lost interest and are now focused on other things? Was Martin the real magic all along? Has Michael Bay murdered Weiss and Benioff and replaced them with mandroids?

It's really stunning how such a previously great show has gone so badly off the rails this season.
5 cast members = $13 million.

Five of the show’s main cast members have reportedly signed record-breaking deals that will see them pocket $2.6 million per episode for Season 7 and 8 of the hit series.

Game of Thrones Cast Salaries Revealed? | Screen Rant

Weiss and Benioff had written books to refer to. Now, they are trying to wrap this up so they can move on to other projects. GOT gave them notoriety IMO.

GRRM not finishing The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring didn't help Weiss and Benioff. This is why IMO they should have done a flashback season about Robert Rebellion maybe lasting 1 to 3 seasons. This would have given GRRM enough time to finish the regular GOT series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Maine
16,387 posts, read 20,699,370 times
Reputation: 19003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
5 cast members = $13 million.

Five of the show’s main cast members have reportedly signed record-breaking deals that will see them pocket $2.6 million per episode for Season 7 and 8 of the hit series.

Game of Thrones Cast Salaries Revealed? | Screen Rant
That still doesn't explain the great writing of Seasons 1-6, followed by the horrid writing of Season 7.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
GRRM not finishing The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring didn't help Weiss and Benioff. This is why IMO they should have done a flashback season about Robert Rebellion maybe lasting 1 to 3 seasons. This would have given GRRM enough time to finish the regular GOT series.
Waiting for Martin was never an option, for two reasons:

One, they would have had to recast the entire series. Do we really want a forty year-old Maisie Williams playing Arya Stark?

Two, waiting on Martin to finish a book is like waiting on a winning lottery ticket. You're thrilled if it happens, but you're a fool if you're counting on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,349 posts, read 4,149,593 times
Reputation: 5659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You can watch it on Facebook.
Tried it, but the quality was poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:42 AM
 
8,052 posts, read 5,252,220 times
Reputation: 9196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That still doesn't explain the great writing of Seasons 1-6, followed by the horrid writing of Season 7.




Waiting for Martin was never an option, for two reasons:

One, they would have had to recast the entire series. Do we really want a forty year-old Maisie Williams playing Arya Stark?

Two, waiting on Martin to finish a book is like waiting on a winning lottery ticket. You're thrilled if it happens, but you're a fool if you're counting on it.
Season 1 to 6 = Written material from GRRM. (some material from Season 6)
Season 6 to 8 = Insight from GRRM. No book to reference to, no dialogue to copy, no description of location, etc.

How will Arya aged 20 years by waiting 1-3 seasons? I doubt they would have to recast the whole cast. None of them are getting good roles with the exception of Peter Dinkage (the Imp can act). Emilia Clarke was awful in Terminator. Same goes for Sansa as Jean in X-Men; she is beautiful but her acting was horrid. She will ride the X-Men Phoenix Saga to the bank. Do you really believe Arya and Bran will have a long Hollywood career??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top