U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 03:45 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I wonder if bringing the wight across the wall has any effect on the magic that keeps the WW from passing it. Also, does bringing the wight to Kings landing allow the Knight King to see through it's eyes, knowing who all the major players and threats against him/
Night or Knight King?
The latter seems redundant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 04:02 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I've been predicting the dragon thing since pretty much the beginning, but then I used to play World of Warcraft, and there is something about the Night King and the WW and wights and that lot, they remind me of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Especially the giants. So an undead ice dragon seemed obvious that yeah...that was gonna happen. It just kind of had to.

I worry about Tyrion. He seems to have misplaced his plot armor. There are characters that, due to major intrigues with high emotional investment, you kinda know they're not going to die soon, even in a GRRM run world. Dany had to survive, so did Jon Snow. Ned was a martyr, so were many of the others, some you're just happy to see them die and you see it coming. But last night when Jon got his rescue, I said, "You know, there are gonna be people online complaining about how he managed to survive immersion in that icy water, let alone the ride back to the Wall. It'll be just another thing like Jaime and Bronn in the lake." And my boyfriend said, "He was wearing his plot armor. He'll be fine."

Well, in past seasons, we had cause to develop a lot of attachment to Tyrion. But now...his mojo is fading somewhat. His character is becoming a little more 2-dimensional, and he's not getting great lines, funny lines, lines that keep us in love with him. His plans have failed, and in fact some of the things he's suggested, I would have expected him to be smarter than that. He just isn't really rockin' my world, and he used to be my favorite.

So I'm starting to fear they're gonna kill him.

Also, I could totally imagine him as a wight. Just sayin'.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM

Well--Tyrion isn't really in control of his destiny...
But I totally see your point
And he even agreed that Jon's plan for the wight was a good idea
It was stupid really and about the 3rd or 4th mistake he has this season
Made one ladt year w/the slave traders if I remember

They should have kidnapped Jamie and taken him to Bran who can transfer his knowledge about the white walkers...
Jamie is only one Cersei believes

Old 08-21-2017, 04:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,359,069 times
Read this on Vox just now - Jon Snow, the luckiest bastard in all of Westeros.

That might become one of his royal titles.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM

36,951 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Where'd all the red shirts come from anyway? Seemed when they left it was all named folks. But the initial deaths to the bear and on the lake were all nobodies.
At the end of episode five we saw seven step through the gate and advance into the north. At the beginning of episode five there were still seven, but the next time they were shown it had grown to eight. Then the time after that it had swelled to twelve and included a supply sled.

What did they do? Send the red shirts out ahead of them and pick them up as they went along?

Did the show film the scene of the departure from the wall first, and then later started thinking...hey, we will need to have some casualties in this battle to make it believable, but we're not gonna kill Jon, or The Hound, or Ser Jorah, or Gendry, and we've been getting good feedback on Tormund ... we can lose Thoros or Berric but not both....so, let's throw in some disposable red shirts.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Read this on Vox just now - Jon Snow, the luckiest bastard in all of Westeros.

That might become one of his royal titles.
Except that everyone knows now he is not a bastard...
I am thinking the Lord of Light gave him some help...

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM

36,951 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Tyrion. But now...his mojo is fading somewhat. His character is becoming a little more 2-dimensional, and he's not getting great lines, funny lines, lines that keep us in love with him. His plans have failed, and in fact some of the things he's suggested, I would have expected him to be smarter than that. He just isn't really rockin' my world, and he used to be my favorite.
It is looking like Tyrion is not a wartime Consigliere.

Your perceptions are correct and I think that it applies to more than just Tyrion. Character development in general, for everyone, has been placed on the backburner this season in favor of super accelerating the story from one action sequence to the next. When the action pace picks up, lots of scenes and dialogues are just narratives to set up the action scene. Less room for having someone being clever.

Further, characters are suffering from the "Gang-Bang" syndrome. This season the characters we got to know as individuals, are being thrown together in groups. That lessens the percentage of lines any one actor has in that scene. If they bring five well know characters together, they have to give each one something to say. Compare that to seasons past, to the slow development of the relationship between Jamie and Brienne, or the relationship between Arya and The Hound.

Dany is coming across as harsh and intolerant, when she isn't making goo-goo eyes at Jon.

Littlefinger seems to be behaving in a random manner without identifiable purpose.

Arya has come home, but appears to have gone rogue, acting on some agenda known only to her, and being very unlikable in the process.

Brandon is perpetually zoned out in his own little world of raven visions.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 PM

12,986 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Will the night king ride the white dragon and fire off those ice bolts like thor?
Ooh, interesting thought. I bet he will, and the dude has a pretty amazing aim. This is not good.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:06 PM

12,986 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deankendrick View Post
The dragon would still be spitting fire I guess, or it would look ridiculous otherwise. Sam gave the book to the Gilly's kid so they still have the book with them. Uncle Benjen was saved by the children of forest I suppose. The show didn't tell the story of uncle benjen. IMO, Tyrion would be a better ruler than Dany and Jon both are driven by emotions.
I hate to say it, but so far Tyrion has had some really bad ideas. And this next one seems like an especially bad one with them going to King's Landing, without a backup plan. I don't think Tyrion is playing it smart. Dany is right that he needs to think in the short term. He's so sure she's going to win that he might make her lose.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 AM

3,978 posts, read 2,963,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, in past seasons, we had cause to develop a lot of attachment to Tyrion. But now...his mojo is fading somewhat. His character is becoming a little more 2-dimensional, and he's not getting great lines, funny lines, lines that keep us in love with him. His plans have failed, and in fact some of the things he's suggested, I would have expected him to be smarter than that.
I think he's not so much giving Dany bad advice, as there's no yang to his yin among her "cabinet" at this point. He's all caution and prudence, and a bit of a killjoy, as one's conscience tends to be, which is a voice that's needed, but if she's going to get anywhere she needs to take decisive action, too, and you don't win a war without being at least somewhat ruthless. And what the heck's the point of being a dragon queen if you don't swoop around on dragons, anyway?

I think it was very clear in this most recent episode that he's frankly afraid for her, both personally and for the sake of their revolution. He's also really feeling the weight of his responsibility as Hand to someone who, despite her best intentions, does have a significant monomaniacal bloodthirsty Targaryen streak. I suspect the upcoming episode is going to bring that issue to a head one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or