U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,210,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
YES. That was brilliant.

And this is part of what I'm talking about with Tyrion. I'm not even complaining about what his feelings or motivations are, because he is not a real person, he is playing a character and his lines are written for him. I'm saying that in the past, he got amazing lines. Most of the things he said were memorable, quotable, heavy with meaning, clever and cutting. It was all good stuff, no fluff. He trudged up to the Wall, he banged hot (if paid) women, he had adventures. Since he has gotten with Dany, he has dropped in importance or...emotional weight...because he is no longer living his own story, now he's just a supporting character for her story. His lines are nothing but setup for her plot.

Now I understand that they don't have the time for slow stuff like before and they're rushing it up to a big conclusion and all. But I feel like even Jaime is getting more meaningful bits. Revelations, scenes that catch the interest. Tyrion is just standing around looking glum behind his beard and clucking like a worried mother hen, and vacillating between strategic mistakes, and trying to pull back the reins on Daenerys. He has not interacted with the dragons, or played the spunky dashing rogue with the fierce and nasty wit, he's fading. He's becoming expendable. And as someone who was a huge fan of The Imp of old, I am not liking it one bit.
I feel like the same thing is happening with Arya. She had a great story arc going and now she is just wandering around Winterfell and giving Sansa a hard time. It's like her character just ran out of steam and she is back to being the petulant little sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM

3,533 posts, read 2,174,593 times

Just like the last Harry Potter movie.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,296,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I feel like the same thing is happening with Arya. She had a great story arc going and now she is just wandering around Winterfell and giving Sansa a hard time. It's like her character just ran out of steam and she is back to being the petulant little sister.
I'm actually OK with Arya. I loved her "training" duel with Brienne. I'm cool with her providing some checks and conflict on Sansa, lest the lady get too big for her britches. I would like for her to take Littlefinger down a peg, instead of playing into his plots, and I'm interested in how that pans out.

Sansa... I was happy when she started to grow a spine, though it sure took her enough hardship to get to that point. But I feel now, like she did not actually grow a spine, she grew a carapace, and inside she's as soft and squishy as she ever was. Every time she talks about "The Knights of the Vale came for ME." I hear her whining about wanting to marry a prince and be a queen one day from back in Season 1. Insufferable.

I'm really disappointed with Bran so far this season. I was all keyed up to see what became of him, and he's just sitting around being all silent and enigmatic and creeping people out once in a while. How about instead of listening to Sansa fret about grain for several scenes, if we'd had one or two where Bran was zoinked out in visions while fondling Old Man Tree, and saw the various parties in the middle of...I dunno...TRAVELING ALL OVER WESTEROS. lol

Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM

27,623 posts, read 24,832,767 times
Quote:
Sansa... I was happy when she started to grow a spine, though it sure took her enough hardship to get to that point. But I feel now, like she did not actually grow a spine, she grew a carapace, and inside she's as soft and squishy as she ever was. Every time she talks about "The Knights of the Vale came for ME." I hear her whining about wanting to marry a prince and be a queen one day from back in Season 1. Insufferable.
Sansa has a point though. I don't know if the Knights of the Vale came for her, but they definitely came because of her (or her letter to Baelish).

Jon Snow is a terrible strategist. He lost the Battle of the Bastards. He took a dumb excursion beyond the Wall and would have gotten every single member of his expeditionary force killed had it not been for Dany bailing him out. I can't blame Sansa for thinking she'd be a better leader than Jon since he's blundered every major decision so far. Jon seems to have better leadership qualities as far as his demonstration of bravery and his ability to inspire loyalty on the field of battle, but it seems he would be a far worse peacetime ruler than Sansa.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 PM

37,057 posts, read 17,464,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sansa has a point though. I don't know if the Knights of the Vale came for her, but they definitely came because of her (or her letter to Baelish).

Jon Snow is a terrible strategist. He lost the Battle of the Bastards. He took a dumb excursion beyond the Wall and would have gotten every single member of his expeditionary force killed had it not been for Dany bailing him out. I can't blame Sansa for thinking she'd be a better leader than Jon since he's blundered every major decision so far. Jon seems to have better leadership qualities as far as his demonstration of bravery and his ability to inspire loyalty on the field of battle, but it seems he would be a far worse peacetime ruler than Sansa.
Sansa has better administrative skills than does Jon, but Jon is better at reading the hearts and minds of the northern loyalists. Sansa's experiences the last six years have left her in a state where she trusts no one but herself. Jon is much more a people person, willing to let bygones be bygones in the name of the purpose at hand. He is often braver than he is sensible however.

Together they would make a fine leader, separately they both are flawed.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:

What would be pretty amazing actually is if he were the figurehead, and she could quietly do all the real work and decision making behind him. Like Jon is really good at giving speeches and persuading people to come over to his cause. He inspires his allies, and converts people to his causes, very well.

And of course he is very brave and all that. So he should give stirring speeches, and lead charges into battle.

But he's not really a very smart man.

In fact you could almost say he...knows nothing...

EDIT: Grandstander and I posting the same basic idea at the same time. Spooky.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Sansa has better administrative skills than does Jon, but Jon is better at reading the hearts and minds of the northern loyalists. Sansa's experiences the last six years have left her in a state where she trusts no one but herself. Jon is much more a people person, willing to let bygones be bygones in the name of the purpose at hand. He is often braver than he is sensible however.

Together they would make a fine leader, separately they both are flawed.
True.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM

5,829 posts, read 3,775,937 times
Maybe after the series is over, instead of a prequel, someone will write a Dallas type shower scene, and we can start over with a new season 7 and do it right.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
What would be pretty amazing actually is if he were the figurehead, and she could quietly do all the real work and decision making behind him.
Not to jump on a feminism soapbox, but doesn't this seem to be the opposite of many of the female characters GRRM has created (Olenna Tyrell, Yara Greyjoy, Daenerys, etc.)?

It seems like the Northern houses would be more grateful to Sansa. They are busy asking her when Jon will be back without the slightest bit of acknowledgment that Ramsay would be flaying them or feeding them to dogs without her help.

"The Queen In The North!" I say. The Queen In The North! The Queen In The North!

Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Not to jump on a feminism soapbox, but doesn't this seem to be the opposite of many of the female characters GRRM has created (Olenna Tyrell, Yara Greyjoy, Daenerys, etc.)?

It seems like the Northern houses would be more grateful to Sansa. They are busy asking her when Jon will be back without the slightest bit of acknowledgment that Ramsay would be flaying them or feeding them to dogs without her help.
I dunno. If I were taking this too seriously (*reminding myself right now, just a show, not real people*) I'd say it's something that Sansa is even as capable as she is though. She started out as a weak personality, all fancy dreams and denial of reality, then was helpless and easy to manipulate and at the mercy of anyone who had custody of her...which was just the golden opportunity that Littlefinger has wet dreams about right? I mean, she's hot like a young Catlyn, but malleable and easy to make into one's pawn.

At least at this point, she is aware of the danger of others taking advantage of her, is skeptical of their motives, and she is trying to be wise. She's doing her best, but she's bound to have a lot of self-doubt.

Girl needs some therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or