U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
36,956 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Reputation: 16788

Advertisements

I know! Instead of posting about the show, let's post about the other posters in this thread! That will show our superiority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
Reputation: 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes...I noticed that missing element...but it is just a glaring reminder that the show runners are arbitrary in what they choose to move the plot forward...
If they had gotten to Jon too soon, he might find out he is legitimate which would mean obvious blood tie to Dany...

But it would also make him immediately more vulnerable to Littlefinger's hatred, maybe turn Sansa and Arya against him since he is not a Stark but IS King in the North...
and probably make the other lords of the North suspect his intentions if he bends the knee to Dany...
Most people think that piece of long-overdue info would be a plus for Jon...
but there was a reason Ned kept quiet, endured all Cat's spite, and allowed Jon to take a back/shamed seat...

Of course, Ned might NOT have known about the annulment and marriage that legitimized Jon...
but he certainly knew he was from a ROYAL, if mad, house...
He found Gendry, was going to protect him, and treat him as a son of Robert Baratheon not just as proof of Cersei's incest with Jamie, but because these guys think Royal/noble blood carries qualities, character elements that "ennoble" anyone with it...

Heck...even Ramsey was recognized for,his "great" qualities...
Ned kept quiet because he feared Robert would kill the baby if he found out he was Raeghar's baby with his precious Lyanna. Ned lost his head right after Robert died and he never had a chance to tell anyone that could make proper use of the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 PM
 
27,455 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Reputation: 14041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Ned kept quiet because he feared Robert would kill the baby if he found out he was Raeghar's baby with his precious Lyanna. Ned lost his head right after Robert died and he never had a chance to tell anyone that could make proper use of the information.
There are still threats to Jon now as Raeghar's heir...just different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 PM
 
27,455 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Reputation: 14041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, if one fictional character couldn't run in the cold, no other fictional characters can run in the cold. Quod erat demonstrandum.
I just meant that (as others have) his run stretched the bounds of credulity...
And it did make me think of the other instance...especially when he fell before the gates...
Maybe the altitude also influenced the result...
Maybe that area is very cold but at lower elevation than the area in Wyoming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Volunteer State
1,243 posts, read 890,678 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Maybe it's time for a spin-off "Game of Thrones is stupid and for some reason I'm watching it and posting about it even through I dislike it" thread.
Post of the Month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 06:19 AM
 
Location: interior Alaska
3,978 posts, read 2,964,648 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just meant that (as others have) his run stretched the bounds of credulity...
And it did make me think of the other instance...especially when he fell before the gates...
Maybe the altitude also influenced the result...
Maybe that area is very cold but at lower elevation than the area in Wyoming...
I haven't seen that movie, but I live in a climate where -40 F is a normal winter temperature. You can exert yourself outdoors in extreme cold but you have to cover your mouth/nose with a scarf or similar. The cold in the show region is obviously not meant to be as grave as this kind of cold that readily causes lung damage, though, or they all would have literally frozen on the rock when they stopped moving. The characters who operate north of the wall would be missing a lot of ears and noses. The Night's Watch wouldn't be able to use horses as they do, either.

Note that if the Icelandic environment is supposed to be a fairly good stand-in for the environment around the Wall, it's not even cold enough for the actors to be showing much breath, nor have much frost in their facial hair or on their ruffs. This is consistent with the show location being coastal ("Eastwatch by the Sea"). You don't get the same extremes you can far inland.

There's really no need to invent problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 AM
 
Location: NoVa
2,039 posts, read 2,779,115 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I know! Instead of posting about the show, let's post about the other posters in this thread! That will show our superiority.
Passive aggressive much? A lot of your postings are just whining - about the terrible writing, terrible plot holes, with some sarcasm thrown in, waa! waa! waa! - over and over again. Or pointing out other articles trying to prove your point (or maybe make others agree with you) about the terribleness of the current season.

I think it's fair to say that we're all aware of the difference between earlier GOT shows than the current season, but some of us chose to let it go simply because we want to enjoy the show. It's not about showing superiority - if anything, it's you (not you personally, but another complainer on this board) who proudly proclaimed how inferior others were because we chose to suspend our disbelief in order to enjoy the show.

I don't want to sabotage my enjoyment by nitpicking it to death the way you do. What's the point of watching a show if all you do is waiting to pounce on the next thing to complain about? Things have changed in GOT world, accept it or move on to other shows. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 11:00 AM
 
1,497 posts, read 1,511,575 times
Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Regarding Dany, a boatsex baby is definitely on the way. The showrunners dropped way too many hints this last episode: Tyrion expressing concerns about succession, Dany reminding us she's barren, Jorah telling Jon to pass Longclaw down to his children. They couldn't make it any more obvious if they tried.

If I'm not mistaken, the witch told Dany that Drogo would return to her after she bore a living child. If Dany can indeed get pregnant, I think it implies she'll die in childbirth since the only way she could be reunited with Drogo is in the afterlife. That could be the "bittersweet" ending the showrunners are referring to.
This actually makes sense. And, I don't think I'd mind it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
36,956 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Reputation: 16788
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Passive aggressive much? A lot of your postings are just whining - about the terrible writing, terrible plot holes, with some sarcasm thrown in, waa! waa! waa! - over and over again.



.
Childish insult...right away our respect for you just soars.
Quote:

I think it's fair to say that we're all aware of the difference between earlier GOT shows than the current season, but some of us chose to let it go simply because we want to enjoy the show.
It never dawns on you that the critical analysis being offered here is the way that others enjoy the show? You chose to let the plotholes go in order for you to enjoy the show, therefore everyone else has to do the same because we are all just like you? And is it not fair to say..."Why don't you just let the posts you don't like go?" Instead here you are nitpicking at posts which you dislike because they strike you as nitpicking. You really fail to see that you are no different than those you criticize?


We aren't all of the same sensibilities. Not once have I responded to someone's post by saying you shouldn't just let the show flow over you if that is how you enjoy it. I don't object to you extracting whatever pleasure you get from the show via whatever method or mindset you wish. Why must you repeatedly try and chastise those who aren't like you and whose enjoyment of the show includes examining the elements for reality, consistency etc?

Instead of telling others to "just let go", set an example by just letting go of your apparent issues with people who take a different approach. Okay? Post about the show, but quit posting about other posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
8,007 posts, read 5,290,540 times
Reputation: 9647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Childish insult...right away our respect for you just soars.
Quote:
I think it's fair to say that we're all aware of the difference between earlier GOT shows than the current season, but some of us chose to let it go simply because we want to enjoy the show.

It never dawns on you that the critical analysis being offered here is the way that others enjoy the show? <>Post about the show, but quit posting about other posters.
You two stop harassing each other; isn't a three year old too young to watch the show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top