U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 12:13 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,744,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think a great final scene for the series would be the Night King sitting on the Iron Throne after killing Cersei and the Mountain like Vin Diesel sitting on the Necromancer throne at the end of Chronicles of Riddick after killing the Lord Marshall because "you keep what you kill".
I have wondered if perhaps the Night King's end goal is to kill Cersei AND take her baby. That would tie back to Bran's vision of the Night King turning an infant into a White Walker. We assume that the Night King is just out to kill all of the living, but maybe he's really only out to kill one evil queen and take her baby.

Of course, if Cersei's baby is turned into a White Walker, then Cersei's legacy will, in a sense, live on. So, maybe Cersei will just give up her baby to the Night King willingly in order to let her family legacy continue on.

I also have wondered whether the Mountain could side with the White King in the end. We know that he has supposedly been "changed" and what we can see of his face through the mask sort of suggests that he might have an appearance similar to a White Walker. He doesn't talk and seems to go on base instinct, just like the White Walkers.

So, the Mountain's sympathies when the Night King arrives for Cersei (which he inevitably must) might fall not with her, but with the Night King. With no one else to defend her, Cersei is now very much at the Mountain's mercy; she just hasn't realized that yet.

In any case, I think the Mountain is going to play a critical role in how things play out for Cersei
and her baby when the Night King comes knocking on her door. And I fully expect that the Night King and Cersei will have their own little date with destiny before the series ends, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 12:20 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,290,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think a great final scene for the series would be the Night King sitting on the Iron Throne after killing Cersei and the Mountain, like Vin Diesel sitting on the Necromancer throne at the end of Chronicles of Riddick after killing the Lord Marshall because "you keep what you kill".<>Very few redeeming human characters on that show worthy of being King or Queen of Westeros. Sure there's Jon Snow but now he's shagging his aunt.
YES! I've had that very thought and vision.
"Kill the Furyan!"

Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 2,964,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Except that the Night King has shown no ability to instantly freeze seawater. Heck, the dude couldn't even freeze lake water. And in the scenes with the Wall's destruction, one can plainly see that the sea wasn't frozen.

Like another poster said, it could have been anything that opened up the way south. I was just trying to point out how the writers once again went for the easy/showy scene without considering the finer points of it.

At this point in the GoT series, don't try to make sense of it, just sit back and enjoy the ride...
Or, you could just refer back to what the characters have clearly stated. The White Walkers bring freezing cold and snow. They could have hung out long enough for an ice shelf to form, then walked around. Unlike the living, they don't need supplies and aren't on a timetable. Various characters had made reference to the risk of the dead just going around the end of the wall. That's why Jon sent the wildlings to man Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, so there'd be some impediment to the dead's progress. (It's obvious he expected the wildling troops to be more of a temporary obstacle than a secure barrier, given his continuing frantic effort to rally forces to go north and fight.) The dragon saved the Night King from having to engage in a fair fight with the wildlings while waiting, since it eliminated the need to wait.

None of this is handwaving excuses - it's what's been explicitly verbalized on the show.

I do not understand how people are both complaining about the show not being subtle enough, and also complaining when it requires the audience pay some attention.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 2,964,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Then why was the main defense, Castle Black, located in the center of the wall?
It's the administrative center of the Night's Watch. They used to be fully staffed up and down the wall, but are much diminished by the era of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I absolutely loved the background music that was playing when Jaime finally realized Cersei had gone full batsh*t crazy and he finally left her to head North. Ramin Djawadi is absolutely killing it this year with the musical scores.
Yeah. The music for this show has always been good, but last season and this one have been killer.

Quote:
Well, that would be my complaint....that it is conjecture. Rather than cluing in the audience as to Littlefinger's larger scheme, they left us having to guess at it. The consequence was that for the last couple of seasons, Littlefinger hasn't seemed like a real player in the game any longer, just some love sick puppy following Sansa around.

He was with Sansa at Winterfell for some time before Arya showed up, and he didn't know that she was coming until she arrived...what was his plan before that?
Littlefinger has repeatedly implied and even outright stated his own motivations and goals throughout the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I also have wondered whether the Mountain could side with the White King in the end. We know that he has supposedly been "changed" and what we can see of his face through the mask sort of suggests that he might have an appearance similar to a White Walker. He doesn't talk and seems to go on base instinct, just like the White Walkers.

So, the Mountain's sympathies when the Night King arrives for Cersei (which he inevitably must) might fall not with her, but with the Night King. With no one else to defend her, Cersei is now very much at the Mountain's mercy; she just hasn't realized that yet.

In any case, I think the Mountain is going to play a critical role in how things play out for Cersei
and her baby when the Night King comes knocking on her door. And I fully expect that the Night King and Cersei will have their own little date with destiny before the series ends, one way or another.
Yeah, I've been wondering for a while whether Maester Creepy has essentially figured out how to use the same magic the White Walkers do, but with himself (or Cersei) in the role of zombie-commander. How would that would play out if an actual White Walker or the Night King showed up? And if he can animate and command zombies himself, can he undermine the Night King in some way?

He looked super jazzed about that zombie arm. I was relieved when Jon snatched it back and burnt it, lol.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM

36,951 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Littlefinger has repeatedly implied and even outright stated his own motivations and goals throughout the series.
If that is the case, what were his goals and motivations after becoming Lord of the Eyrie? All he did after that was moon around for Sansa and try to cause a rift between her and Arya. His overall plan was clear until he sold Sansa to the Boltons. After that the series never explained what he was doing and why.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,037 posts, read 4,777,362 times
I think we all can agree that most of the remaining characters, both those we love and those we hate, will meet their ends in the last season. The interesting question is how? Picking one character: I think Cersi needs to meet her end at the hands of Arya and Sansa.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM

6,810 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
A few of my unanswered questions:

What was it with Podrick and what-his-name leaving the dragon pit for a drink?

Cersei apparently nods giving the Mountain the go ahead to kill Jamie and follows him out. But then we see Jamie riding alone. Did she change her mind (off screen)?

The White Walkers don't swim. But with all the other **** they seem to be able to do, why wouldn't they build boats?
Actually, in real life the guy who plays Bronn and the actress who plays Cersei used to date. Rumor is that they hate each other and don't like to be in the same room together.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,097,582 times
Quote:
I think we all can agree that most of the remaining characters, both those we love and those we hate, will meet their ends in the last season. The interesting question is how? Picking one character: I think Cersi needs to meet her end at the hands of Arya and Sansa.
I agree with you. I'm wondering who's face Arya will wear when she manages to cross Cersi off her list.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
In that case the huge wall was an enormous waste....if you can just walk around it when the water freezes, why bother having a wall?
Well, it certainly works for the entire time it's not winter and the water isn't frozen.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM

36,951 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Quote:
I think Cersi needs to meet her end at the hands of Arya and Sansa.
There are many ways to go with that. They could shoot for straight forward vengeance and have Arya and Sansa do the deed, or they could go for pathos/redemption and have Cersei die at Jamie's hands when he is forced to choose between good and Cersei, or they could go for irony and have her done in by The Mountain or Qyburn.

Or they could go for something a little zany and surprising, like making it appear that Jamie kills Cersei, having Cersei die with a look of wretched betrayal on her face, and then Arya whips off the Jamie mask that she was wearing.

Or they could go for old time melodrama, have Cersei just about to kill Sansa/Arya/Jon/Dany and at the last second she is stabbed in the back by.....camera pulls back..... Ellaria Sand who has managed to survive and escape her imprisonment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or