U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM

11,497 posts, read 8,148,382 times

Advertisements

A couple of unanswered questions:

Was Samwell Tarley informed that his Father and Brother were killed? Does he know he is the head of House Tarley?

Did the Lannisters abandon Highgarden, Did Dany abandon Casterly rock? Or did they keep a token force there?

Does Sansa and the northern lords know John Snow took the knee to Dany?

Daenerys made no attempt to free Yara Greyjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,623,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Could anyone answer why Cercei referred to the money for the "Iron Bank" that she could use to bankroll more troops when the convoy that Jamie was leading to bring her the High Garden Gold was wiped out. The Episode was called "TheSpoils of War. I don't believe that Danery's would have left that laying on the ground after she destroyed Jamie's Army.

Yet when Cercei mentioned it to Jamie he did not tell her that the gold was lost in the ambush, which I surely assume happened.
In that episode it was made clear that the gold had made it inside the walls, it was only the other provisions that they were scrambling to get back when they were attacked.

As for the money, she either repaid the Iron Bank and then immediately borrowed a lot of it back to hire the mercenaries. One would think she would have to pay a large premium, or even have a hard time hiring them, given the devastation the dragons (not to mention the dead) are able to deliver.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 AM

6,170 posts, read 3,290,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Then why was the main defense, Castle Black, located in the center of the wall?
There are 3 manned castles. Eastwatch at the eastern end, Shadow Tower at the western end and Black in the middle. Which would make it easier for them to send reserves to whichever side was under attack when notified by raven. Not that they really have the numbers to be effective given centuries of neglect.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM

37,066 posts, read 17,464,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The wall made it so they had to wait until it was frozen.

So it was hardly useless.
No...think about it. They had to wait for the time when the water was frozen, even if there had been no wall. They don't move in warm weather, they only come when it is coldest. That was my point, which a so surprisingly large number of you don't seem to be grasping. There was no need for a wall to defend Westeros from the dead when the dead were in their dormant state during summer. There is only a need for the wall when they are advancing south....which is in winter....which is when the water freezes. And when the water freezes, they can march around the wall.

Thus...the wall plays no role at all in stopping the Army of the Dead.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM

6,170 posts, read 3,290,064 times
Why don't you understand that an entire border exposed is worse than having chokepoints? The wall even does extend into the sea quite a ways to cover such a scenario. Not to mention also keeping the day to day barbarians(wildlings) out.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:56 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,313,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Rhaegar Targaryen was personally killed by Robert Baratheon at the Battle of the Trident during Robert's Rebellion. He was the much older brother to Daenerys Targaryen.

Viseryon was the cruel brother who was "given" a crown of gold by Khal Drogo, first husband of Daenerys Targaryen.

Rhaegar was the complete opposite of Viseryon. In the books, Rhaegar was described as handsome, highly popular with the people, knowing how to fight but preferring to sing and to play music. The books relate a story that he used to go incognito into Flea Bottom to perform for the people there, and the money he earned Rhaegar would give away to the first street minstrel he met, or to an orphanage, or other worthy recipient.
I thought they said Rhaegar was Dany's aunt? So Rhaegar is actually her older brother? So was there 3 siblings? Dany, Viseryon, and Rhaegar was the oldest?

So did Robert know that Rhaegar and Lyanna (sp?) were in love? Bran said, Roberts Rebellion was a lie. I'm just curious how much Robert really knew. I'm guessing not much.

What's going to happen with Robert's bastard son. Maybe that's for another thread...

Arya's story arc has always been my least favorite, but I was happy to see Littlefinger die by her, and I was glad to see the Hound and Brienne smooth things over. They've become some of my favorite characters.

It was a little anti-climatic, but it was a great season finale. I watched it twice in a row as I didn't want to miss anything.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,313,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
No...think about it. They had to wait for the time when the water was frozen, even if there had been no wall. They don't move in warm weather, they only come when it is coldest. That was my point, which a so surprisingly large number of you don't seem to be grasping. There was no need for a wall to defend Westeros from the dead when the dead were in their dormant state during summer. There is only a need for the wall when they are advancing south....which is in winter....which is when the water freezes. And when the water freezes, they can march around the wall.

Thus...the wall plays no role at all in stopping the Army of the Dead.

Why is this so hard to understand?
The last time they show Kings Landing, I believe it is starting to snow there. They only travel in cold, but it seems like the cold weather is far ahead of them.

That said, it would take a long time for a small section of the ocean to freeze over to where the army of the dead could walk across it. Even that small lake which was already mostly frozen, they waited for some time.

I think they purposefully show the ocean not frozen as the army of the dead passes through the broken wall, since this has been a popular fan theory of how the army of the dead will pass around the wall. Perhaps this is why the army of the dead has not tried to travel farther south as well, they had been waiting for the ocean to freeze over, but that's purely a theory, and I doubt gets answered.

The wall will still act as a deterrent and slow the army of the dead down, perhaps enough time for the southern kingdoms to mount a defensive army. I'm sure as the show focuses on the Great War next season, they will explain a lot.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM

3,413 posts, read 1,968,952 times
Let me throw this out to you GOT experts. So I was watching the finale again and I noticed that the entire attack on the wall was actually in a vision that Bran was having. Could this mean that it hasn't happened yet and he's seeing the future or does he only see things in real time ?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 PM

25,476 posts, read 23,306,218 times
does anyone wonder where Jamie was headed after he left in the end.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM

25,476 posts, read 23,306,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Let me throw this out to you GOT experts. So I was watching the finale again and I noticed that the entire attack on the wall was actually in a vision that Bran was having. Could this mean that it hasn't happened yet and he's seeing the future or does he only see things in real time ?
Wow, I didn't know that? I thought it was really happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or