U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM

25,483 posts, read 23,323,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Last night's finale--the numbers are in!

Game of Thrones finale is most-watched episode ever
and that doesn't count people as myself, who dvr'd it? Cuz I have to get my beauty sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM

8,010 posts, read 5,316,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
does anyone wonder where Jamie was headed after he left in the end.
He said he would honor the commitment to fight beside Jon Snow and Dany, so "North!"

Old 08-29-2017, 01:47 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,177,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I thought they said Rhaegar was Dany's aunt? So Rhaegar is actually her older brother? So was there 3 siblings? Dany, Viseryon, and Rhaegar was the oldest?

So did Robert know that Rhaegar and Lyanna (sp?) were in love? Bran said, Roberts Rebellion was a lie. I'm just curious how much Robert really knew. I'm guessing not much.

What's going to happen with Robert's bastard son. Maybe that's for another thread...

Arya's story arc has always been my least favorite, but I was happy to see Littlefinger die by her, and I was glad to see the Hound and Brienne smooth things over. They've become some of my favorite characters.

It was a little anti-climatic, but it was a great season finale. I watched it twice in a row as I didn't want to miss anything.

I wondered if Robert knew what really happened and lied to Ned, hence his self destructive behavior since. If there were more episodes remaining, I would have speculated on such a reveal from Bran.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:59 PM

3,993 posts, read 2,979,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Wow, I didn't know that? I thought it was really happening?
I think, but am not certain, that Bran can only see the past and the present.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
A couple of unanswered questions:

Was Samwell Tarley informed that his Father and Brother were killed? Does he know he is the head of House Tarley?
Not yet, unless it and his reaction happened off-screen.

Quote:
Did the Lannisters abandon Highgarden, Did Dany abandon Casterly rock? Or did they keep a token force there?
I believe the Lannisters intended to hold Highgarden, as it's the "breadbasket" of Westeros, but that Casterly Rock's current status hasn't been established. Dany holds the territory, though.

Quote:
Does Sansa and the northern lords know John Snow took the knee to Dany?
Sansa got a raven note, right?

Quote:
Daenerys made no attempt to free Yara Greyjoy?
Yeah, it's a bit weaksauce that she didn't even send a letter asking whether they could ransom her or something. Euron would have said no, but as a liege lord you're supposed to at least try.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,784,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
A couple of unanswered questions:

Was Samwell Tarley informed that his Father and Brother were killed? Does he know he is the head of House Tarley?

Did the Lannisters abandon Highgarden, Did Dany abandon Casterly rock? Or did they keep a token force there?

Does Sansa and the northern lords know John Snow took the knee to Dany?

Daenerys made no attempt to free Yara Greyjoy?
I don't think anyone has told Samwell Tarley yet about the death of his father and brother. If Bran knew, he hasn't told.

We know that Dany took her unsullied army back from Casterly Rock (they were shown in last week's episode, standing in formation, while Bronn and Jamie were looking on and making fun of their lack of, err, appendage). Whether she took back all of unsullied from CR, or most of it, don't know.

Jon sent a Raven informing Sansa of his decision to pledge his allegiance to Dany - it was in last week's episode during the scene between Sansa and Littlefinger. Sansa was not pleased and thought it was typical of Jon to make a major decision without consulting her.

As far as Yara goes, looks like Theon was the only one after her.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The wall made it so they had to wait until it was frozen.

So it was hardly useless.
Yeah, I'm not sure why this is such a sticking point.

Presumably when the wall was properly manned and maintained, there were countermeasures to help prevent wildlings or creepy crawlies from going around, whether on ice or in boats. Icebreaking boats, archers, etc.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:30 PM

2,647 posts, read 1,833,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Let me throw this out to you GOT experts. So I was watching the finale again and I noticed that the entire attack on the wall was actually in a vision that Bran was having. Could this mean that it hasn't happened yet and he's seeing the future or does he only see things in real time ?
Bran was using the Crows to watch what was happening as it happened.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
No...think about it. They had to wait for the time when the water was frozen, even if there had been no wall. They don't move in warm weather, they only come when it is coldest. That was my point, which a so surprisingly large number of you don't seem to be grasping. There was no need for a wall to defend Westeros from the dead when the dead were in their dormant state during summer. There is only a need for the wall when they are advancing south....which is in winter....which is when the water freezes. And when the water freezes, they can march around the wall.

Thus...the wall plays no role at all in stopping the Army of the Dead.
That is called a choke point. It's the reason there is a fortress there in addition to the wall, and that it's one of the points still manned even in their diminished state.

It makes no sense to say it plays no role in stopping the dead - if there was no wall, they could just cross wherever, whenever. There's be no way to patrol the entire area. The wall also allows the Watch to attack without engaging enemies in direct melee, which is obviously safer and advantageous (unless your enemy has a dragon, natch).

There are also other dangers north of the wall year-round, like giants and reaving wildlings.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:23 PM

37,084 posts, read 17,481,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
That is called a choke point. It's the reason there is a fortress there in addition to the wall, and that it's one of the points still manned even in their diminished state.

It makes no sense to say it plays no role in stopping the dead - if there was no wall, they could just cross wherever, whenever. There's be no way to patrol the entire area. The wall also allows the Watch to attack without engaging enemies in direct melee, which is obviously safer and advantageous (unless your enemy has a dragon, natch).

There are also other dangers north of the wall year-round, like giants and reaving wildlings.
You know how all this got started? Several pages back I asked what the Night King's plan was for getting over the wall before the dragon became available. A poster responded with his or her theory that the Night King planned to march around the wall when the water froze. My reply, specific only to the Night King's army, was that the wall was never a barrier in that case. They would not have been on the move before the weather became cold enough to freeze the water, so the wall was redundant during that time. Then when the water freezes, they can walk around the wall, so once more, the wall is serving no purpose as it relates to stopping the Dead Army.

The choke point business is something several of you are making up as a means to try and rehabilitate matters in favor of the wall's utility. And of course if that indeed was what they planned the wall for, then they would have moved all of their defense resources to that choke point, not just sent a handful of Wildings to man the Eastwatch fort. Instead, the main defensive force remains at the Black Castle, so quite clearly no one was contemplating any choke point defense. If they were, we would have seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or