U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 07:58 AM

27,623 posts, read 24,832,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I agree with your basic point. If there isn't a big twist or greater unexpected end then 5 books of pretty decent literature and 7 seasons of well done television are for nothing. A big battle where good defeats bad and life goes back the way it was before the saga started is not enough and I don't think GRR Martin would settle for that. The ending must be worthy of the journey.

Just my thoughts
Yeah, that was basically my thinking. I think ASOIAF would end up like every other predictable American movie where the forces of good triumph over the forces of evil. Throw in a few deaths of fan favorites (maybe Dany, probably another dragon or possibly both) with a generally positive ending in which order is restored to Westeros and mankind remains safe until the coming of the next Long Night. Yay! There's still hope in the world!

I haven't read any other works by GRRM, but posters seem to all agree that his stories never end well. Not sure this will be an exception.

It very well could be that nothing becomes of Bran's powers other than conversations with Sam Tarly about past events and clues to defeat the White Walkers. The warging into Hodor--where it appears he at least influenced past events in some way--has no relevance outside of that single, isolated situation. The NK actually reaching into Bran's vision and physically marking him will have no importance and simply gets left on the table/unresolved. The Bran as Night King theory could be completely wrong and I don't think anybody denies that.

Even if Bran doesn't become the NK, I think GRRM has dropped enough crumbs for us to conclude that he's going to have a much larger role in the final season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I also keep thinking about Dani's vision in Season 2 of the throne room. It makes me feel like it was now destroyed by the Ice Dragon. So cool if the dead army took out King's Landing and Cersei.
There's also a scene where Bran has the same vision. Only his has a shadow of a dragon flying over King's Landing (Viserion?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gh0-4hOzyw

Some fans have posited some interesting theories and made some curious observations. For example, the assassin sent to kill Bran had a Valyrian steel dagger. The dagger shows up again in Season 7. Does this dagger keep resurfacing because Valyrian steel is needed to kill Bran/Night King?

Some say that the NK is coming south of the Wall to kill a young Bran in an attempt to prevent the NK (future Bran) from ever happening.

Others have said that it makes no sense for Bran to become the NK and wage war against humanity. Yet others point to the fact that Meera says "Bran Stark died in that cave" and believe that Bran is slowly becoming someone or something else. It could be that the Others are evil villains who want to wipe out humanity for no apparent reason or it could be that the Others realize that humanity is the scourge of the Earth and believe their extinction is the best thing for the planet.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM

8,007 posts, read 5,306,808 times
I think we should all go take a nap until next year.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 AM

5,531 posts, read 8,790,479 times
Getting a bit too esoteric for me--how about continuing the speculations about Season 8 over in the Season 8 speculation thread? Sorry, I don't get most of the acronyms, either, and I thought I was fairly fluent in GoT lingo. Big difference between knowing the books/series and knowing the world of GoT fan fiction, I guess.

I believe we used to have a thread about the GoT series vs books--after all, some of us have been doing this stuff for 7 seasons! But it may be over in the Books forum, and in any event, it's outdated now. It may also have been in the general Entertainment forum.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 AM

5,531 posts, read 8,790,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I agree with your basic point. If there isn't a big twist or greater unexpected end then 5 books of pretty decent literature and 7 seasons of well done television are for nothing. A big battle where good defeats bad and life goes back the way it was before the saga started is not enough and I don't think GRR Martin would settle for that. The ending must be worthy of the journey.

Just my thoughts
In an ideal world of good fiction, yes, but in TV Land we have to be happy if we get a good journey. The lack of a meaningful ending shouldn't nullify the quality of good seasons in the bag. Think of Deadwood and Carnival. It was close to happening to Longmire, if It hadn't been for Netflix. It does indeed taint a series if the ending isn't "worthy," or simply not there, but time well spent with good characters counts for something. IMO!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Sorry, I don't get most of the acronyms, either, and I thought I was fairly fluent in GoT lingo. Big difference between knowing the books/series and knowing the world of GoT fan fiction, I guess.
Is it really that hard to figure out?

BS = Is there really a need to explain this one?
NK = Night King
CoTF = Children of the Forest (who appear in the series)
TPTWP = The Prince That Was Promised
GRRM = The guy that created the series

I didn't even start watching GOT until a couple of years ago, so I figured this would all come rather naturally to fantasy fanboys and fangirls.

One thing I don't understand is how fans of the show can call the BS = NK theory "farfetched" when literally everything on the show is farfetched. The concept of time travel would be farfetched in, say, Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure why it would provoke such incredulity in a show that features miniature people who have been living in the forest for millennia, dragons, prophecies, warging, wights, a wall full of "magic," a ghost being the product of Melisandre and Stannis shagging, etc.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:58 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,587,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, he doesn't say anything about being able to see into the future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0g8ihewMdOc
thanks for the clip....my mistake.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:35 PM

37,055 posts, read 17,464,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How is saying "I could see something happening" equal to "what I say is definitely going to happen"? I'm not an advocate here.
But you are an advocate here. You have multiple posts advancing this Bran is the Night King theory along with explanations regarding the clues and a covering theory as to why you think it will happen.

It puzzles me as to why you would advocate something so strongly, and then deny that you are advocating it. The intensity and complexity of your posts puts me to mind of the same sort of enthusiasm shown by conspiracy theorists.

Either what you have written represents what you think will happen, or it does not. If it does, then why are you denying that this is your conclusion? If it does not, then why are you sustaining the argument for so long?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 PM

32,156 posts, read 39,250,114 times
On another note, has anyone noticed that Arya's style of fighting, taught to her in Bravos by the Faceless Men, and Bronn's are very similar?
Especially how they both hide their swords behind their backs and always have a hidden blade somewhere.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:51 PM

9,841 posts, read 13,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
On another note, has anyone noticed that Arya's style of fighting, taught to her in Bravos by the Faceless Men, and Bronn's are very similar?
Especially how they both hide their swords behind their backs and always have a hidden blade somewhere.

Huh? Valor Marglis taught Arya to fence?

Syrio is hired to teach Arya Stark the ways of a water dancer. After arriving in King's Landing, Lord Eddard Stark discovers that his daughter Arya owns a sword (Needle, a gift from her half-brother Jon Snow), but has not been properly trained to use it. He hires Syrio Forel to train Arya in its use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upcWBut9mrI

There are theories though... But theories only. Far as I saw, Arya spent LOTS OF TIME and DEDICATION self practicing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or