Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

I suspect the White Walkers won't be defeated so much as redeemed, for two reasons:

1. A theme throughout the story is that there are no clear cut good guys and bad guys. And we now now the origin of the White Walkers. The children of the forest made them to defend themselves against the human invaders. It was an act of self-defense that has now gone horribly wrong. Martin has said in the past that "the villain is just the hero of the other side." So I'm not convinced the White Walkers are irredeemably Evil.

2. One of the primary influences of this story was Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. The great thing about that story was that the Big Bad Dark Lord, while he was certainly Big and Bad and Dark and Lordy, was also sympathetic. Even though you couldn't condone what he did or what he wanted, you totally understood why he did it. Martin has already laid more than a few hints that the same might be true with the White Walkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 03:14 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I suspect the White Walkers won't be defeated so much as redeemed, for two reasons:

1. A theme throughout the story is that there are no clear cut good guys and bad guys. And we now now the origin of the White Walkers. The children of the forest made them to defend themselves against the human invaders. It was an act of self-defense that has now gone horribly wrong. Martin has said in the past that "the villain is just the hero of the other side." So I'm not convinced the White Walkers are irredeemably Evil.

2. One of the primary influences of this story was Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. The great thing about that story was that the Big Bad Dark Lord, while he was certainly Big and Bad and Dark and Lordy, was also sympathetic. Even though you couldn't condone what he did or what he wanted, you totally understood why he did it. Martin has already laid more than a few hints that the same might be true with the White Walkers.
Maybe they have no interest in wiping out humanity and simply want to remove Cersei Lannister from the throne?

Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
A theme throughout the story is that there are no clear cut good guys and bad guys. And we now now the origin of the White Walkers. The children of the forest made them to defend themselves against the human invaders. It was an act of self-defense that has now gone horribly wrong. Martin has said in the past that "the villain is just the hero of the other side." So I'm not convinced the White Walkers are irredeemably Evil.
There are clear cut good guys and bad guys though. Jon Snow is the goodiest of good guys. He is beyond reproach. Ned was the same way. Brienne is also thoroughly good. Then on the other side, you have (had) Ramsay, Joffrey, Roose and Littlefinger who were never shown to have any redeeming qualities. Jaime and Varys were both much more amoral/morally ambiguous earlier in the series but they now seem to be clearly on the side of "honor" and good.

I hope you're right in that the White Walkers aren't just another Big Bad. I hope it turns out to be more like the book version of I Am Legend where the "zombies" thought the last man on Earth was a monster and an existential threat.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I was thinking (translation, I read it somewhere), has anyone else wondered if Arya "harvested" Baelish's face for use later?

Maybe in King's Landing? Maybe to meet with Cersei?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I was thinking (translation, I read it somewhere), has anyone else wondered if Arya "harvested" Baelish's face for use later?

That would be cool

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:

Does offer some very interesting plot twists.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:

This came up earlier. I think there were too many witnesses, for his death to remain a secret.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:

I don't think they'd do that because the viewers know Baelish is dead. The Faceless Man thing is only an interesting twist when we're not expecting it.

True, we knew Walder Frey was dead, but it was not entirely clear from that opening scene whether it was something happening in the present or something that had already occurred in the past.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think they'd do that because the viewers know Baelish is dead. The Faceless Man thing is only an interesting twist when we're not expecting it.

True, we knew Walder Frey was dead, but it was not entirely clear from that opening scene whether it was something happening in the present or something that had already occurred in the past.
Excellent point.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I think it could be good because we the viewers could watch Baelish working his machinations in his smarmy way knowing that Arya was behind it. With only a few episodes left I doubt we will see it, but I think it would be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV