U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM

583 posts, read 252,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I would think being attacked night would be a surprise given there was no electricity on the ships. Fighting in the dark.
Plus, wasn't there a bad storm? Yara couldn't even see Euron's ship until it was practically on top of them, so if there was thick fog, that would explain why none of the lookouts saw the attack coming. I'm assuming Yara had a hundred or so ships spread out over a distance. Even if one sounded a horn, the others may not have heard it or had time to react. At least, that's what makes the most sense to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 PM

37,066 posts, read 17,469,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Plus, wasn't there a bad storm? Yara couldn't even see Euron's ship until it was practically on top of them, so if there was thick fog, that would explain why none of the lookouts saw the attack coming..
If such a fog existed, it would have blinded everyone, not just Yara's ships. If visibility is such that you cannot see another ship until it is right on top of you, then it would also be impossible for an attacking force to have navigated in among the enemy ships without colliding with them. If it was that dark, how could Eoron's ship have possibly have specifically targeted and found Yara's?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM

2,471 posts, read 637,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Was anyone else left wondering just how slack discipline aboard Yara's fleet must have been to allow this immense enemy fleet to get in among them without anyone noticing a thing? Were they all sleeping off a bender? Were there no watches of any sort posted on any of the ships?
Not just this fleet. What I seen was, yeah, Daenerys might have the bigger army, but I was always wondering, how trained are they? Aren't most of the people in her Army previous slaves? With no tactical training or no experience in war settings? And she's already making demands like, Jon Snow must bend at the knee. Her family was seen as one of the worst things to have rule over the lands for a long time. Its going to take a lot to get the people to rile up behind her, and asking for a noble man like Jon to bend at the knee is not the best way to start alliances.

It's obvious, Westeros has been waiting for her, so she does not have the act of surprise in her hand. If anything, if Cersei starts to bring down her dragons, it will be Dani that will be in for a big surprise.

And like the Red Woman says, prophecies are dangerous, it might be another woman who will threaten Cersei's bid for the throne. It could be Sansa for all we know.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,975,456 times
Quote:
Because the sudden appearance of Bran would displace Sansa as the entitled surviving Stark. Jon would be King In The North, Brandon would be Lord of Winterfell, and Sansa would just be Sansa. It would remove the reason for the conflict between Jon and Sansa.
Nah, they're not going to believe Bran is alive until they see him with their own eyes, I shouldn't think. There's no one at the Wall who can confirm his identity. "Some wildling-looking kid is claiming to be your brother, do you want him?" is a zillion miles from "the true Lord of Winterfell is coming home." Pretenders were a thing back in the day. Google False Dmitry for a (to me, anyway) hilarious bit from Russian history. There were three super fake Tsareviches in a row. It was amazing.

Anyway, Westeros in general seems to have largely given up on the idea of agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. Like, sure, you're the late king's mom! Be the queen! You're some random bastard? Cool! You won a big battle, you're the lord! Shove a king off the bridge, you're the king! (Yes, I know the Ironborn elect their leaders, but still, lol.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Thanks. I have never read the books, but I do hear about them from time to time. Major differences I hear, Rob's baby is still alive, Stannis is still alive, and Bran isn't the only one with warging capabilities.
Robb's widow is still alive, no baby. In the book she (or at least her parents) were hinted to be in on things with the Lannisters. They make a point of her being very not pregnant. Stannis is still alive, but I think only because the story hasn't gotten that far yet. Bran is still the only main character who can properly warg into whatever he wants and fully control it, but it's implied that all the Stark kids can warg a little, their direwolves, if nothing else - I think the show has also hinted at that, but since they don't have PoV narration it's not as blatant, just the wolves reacting preternaturally.

Quote:
As for Sansa. No doubt, she has gone through some horrible things. But, I think sometime during her torture, she looked up to probably the strongest woman she knows, and that would be Cersei. And Tyrion's little comment "you just might survive us all my lady" I felt was a foreshadowing, that she was already learning the game. Now, we have her emulating Cersei's hairstyle for crying out loud. And, I find it off putting, that both Cersei and Sansa did not seem to grieve over the recent loss of their loved ones, while Jamie is clearly upset about Tommen, and Jon upset about Rickon. I also have it in the back of my mind, she did detest Jon, while Arya never did. She's learned and practiced how to cover her feelings, and to play the game. So, is she really happy her brother is alive and in charge, or was she like, happy for seeing a familiar face she can trust, but still wants that power she believes belongs to her

I can see why Ms Turner won her Emmy last year, she is playing a very complex character, and she is doing a fantastic job. Out of all of the actors that were not veterans coming into this show, I see Sophia Turner having the biggest career after Game of Thrones is done.
Aww, you're so hard on Sansa She's just shut down emotionally, as you'd have to be, to keep on trucking. Remember that scene where Joffrey made her look at Ned's decapitated head, and she was all freaked out, then she immediately turned it off and was flatly like, "How long do you want me to look, my lord?" Sansa's learned to basically disassociate on command as a survival mechanism.

I don't recall any scenes (book or show) of her detesting Jon. A kid she was big on following The Rules so she and Jon were just never buddy-buddy, as Cat kept Jon in his place, and Sansa was busy playing the perfect little lady 24/7. Arya and Jon had more simpatico as kids as the family misfits, plus Arya had boyish hobbies.

I totally agree that Sophie Turner is tearing things up. She's really sold her character's evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I would think being attacked night would be a surprise given there was no electricity on the ships. Fighting in the dark.
Yeah, back in the age of sail, that's how you did. You could make a good escape or good sneak attack by dousing all the lights and keeping everyone dead silent, if you were upwind of your opponents and therefore able to maneuver more quickly and sharply.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 PM

37,066 posts, read 17,469,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
if Cersei starts to bring down her dragons, it will be Dani that will be in for a big surprise.

I was looking forward to seeing what anti-dragon weapon they had come up with, and was disappointed when it turned out to be an ordinary ballista, something which was developed by the ancient Greeks on earth.

And it isn't like it is new in Westeros. The defenders of The Wall had a row of ballistas they used against the Wilding attack. When that giant broke into Winterfell, he was finally brought down by a ballista bolt in the back.

The demonstration wasn't too impressive. It shot a dragon skull which wasn't moving, from about twenty feet away.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I was looking forward to seeing what anti-dragon weapon they had come up with, and was disappointed when it turned out to be an ordinary ballista, something which was developed by the ancient Greeks on earth.
I'm betting cash money right now it just bounces off of dragon hide

I think Frankenmaester (I can never remember his real name) was basically saving his own hide by giving Cersei immediate gratification.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Speaking of Starks at the Wall, did anyone ever wonder why Benjen ended up there? I mean, Ned obviously considers it honorable service, but he also knows it's a danged unpleasant situation, and in retrospect it's obvious that the reason he wanted Jon there was to save Jon by neatly removing him from all lines of succession, a la Maester Aemon. Who did Benjen make mad enough to make the Wall seemed like a good idea?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,208,736 times
Quote:
The screwup was forgetting that word of Bran's arrival would have been sent to Winterfell immediately. They could not show this because they are working on a Jon/Sansa conflict regarding leadership in the North. If word of Bran's survival had come through as we might logically expect, it would have thrown a monkey wrench into the storyline they were running.

So, they just hoped that no one would notice this logical goof.
Not a logical goof. They can't have everything happen at once. There is a progression to the story. As others have pointed out, they needed to show us Bran in the first episode, or we would all be going "where's Bran?". They did, we know where he is, and when the time is right, his story will surface.

Timelines can't always be nitpicked on this show. They will probably show Jon at Dragonstone next week, just one episode after the R-mail arrived. Yet it would take weeks of travel on a boat to get there.

They gotta do what they gotta do to make the story flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Speaking of Starks at the Wall, did anyone ever wonder why Benjen ended up there? I mean, Ned obviously considers it honorable service, but he also knows it's a danged unpleasant situation, and in retrospect it's obvious that the reason he wanted Jon there was to save Jon by neatly removing him from all lines of succession, a la Maester Aemon. Who did Benjen make mad enough to make the Wall seemed like a good idea?
Actually, the wall is considered a high honor by some. Sure, the dregs & criminals get sent there. But so do many highborn.

In Benjen's case, he was #2 in the Stark line after Ned. There was no place for him at Winterfell once Ned ascended to the Lordship. So he took the black.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 PM

2,471 posts, read 637,681 times
Quote:

And it isn't like it is new in Westeros. The defenders of The Wall had a row of ballistas they used against the Wilding attack. When that giant broke into Winterfell, he was finally brought down by a ballista bolt in the back.

The demonstration wasn't too impressive. It shot a dragon skull which wasn't moving, from about twenty feet away.
Knowing Cersei, she's going to have an even bigger one made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm betting cash money right now it just bounces off of dragon hide

I think Frankenmaester (I can never remember his real name) was basically saving his own hide by giving Cersei immediate gratification.
I wish this would be true, but what he said about the rumors, of spears piercing and wounding one of the dragons, is correct. In fact, I find it odd Tyrion had to set them free from being chained up, something I think a dragon should easily free itself from, either with sheer power, or burning and melting the metal with it's fire.

Last edited by warhorse78; 07-24-2017 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 4,367,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
In Benjen's case, he was #2 in the Stark line after Ned. There was no place for him at Winterfell once Ned ascended to the Lordship. So he took the black.
Benjen Stark, son of Rickard Stark, was actually third in line, after his older brothers Brandon and Eddard. Benjen joined the Night's Watch while both his brothers were still alive, supposedly after a recruiter from the Watch spoke at a feast in King's Landing. Benjen, having no prospects as a third son, probably joined the Watch out of a sense of honor and a need to do something important and meaningful with his life.

It was after third son Benjen Stark joined the Black Watch that Mad King Aerys Targaryen executed both Rickard Stark, Lord of Winterfell, and Brandon Stark, first son and heir to Winterfell, resulting in second son Eddard becoming the new Lord of Winterfell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or