U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM

5,093 posts, read 3,355,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
One thing has always bothered me about the battle of the bastards episode. Before the battle Sansa never told Jon that the knights of the Vale were coming. You would think that would be an important piece of information. The first time I watched it I thought it was an oversight in the writing of the episode. After rewatching that episode earlier this month, there is a brief scene at the end of the battle after the knights arrive where they show Sansa noticing that Jon has survived the battle. I wonder if her real intention was for John and the Wildling army to lose the first part of the battle and then have the knights of the Vale come in and save the day after Jon was dead.

She may have thought that as a woman, some of the people of the north would never accept her as the head of House Stark as long as there was a male child of Ned Stark alive (even a bastard). If Jon was dead and she was in Winterfell it would allow her to be the unquestionable leader of the north.

She is unique in the story in that we don't know what her goals are. If she has gone young Cercei on us, she would be smart enough to hide it.
Sansa gave up trying to get Jon to listen to her telling him he needed more men and left the night before the battle.

Jon thought he had all he could get.

Sansa went and convinced the knights of the Vale to join.

I don't think her viewing him on the field was how you took it. It was a positive that her brother was still alive and after Ramsey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Sansa is either greedy, or she's laying a trap for Littlefinger.

If she's as smart as she thinks she is, I could see her feigning a little resentment towards Jon in an effort to lure Littlefinger out of his shell and declare his true intentions. Once LF shows his hand, Sansa can lean in a little and make LF think she's on his side before twisting the dagger in his heart.

The conflict has to happen at some point as I just don't see him having a place at the table when the big battle with the White Walkers begins. He'll be killed by someone during the 'Cersei vs. The World' war.
Certainly.

The Starks thus far have probably been the most unified family. I'm not expecting Jon vs Sansa. There's still Cersei to deal with, and Sansa wouldnt prevail there, Jon is a necessity.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 07-25-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM

37,173 posts, read 17,518,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Knowing Cersei, she's going to have an even bigger one made.

How does anyone practice with it? It isn't like they have drones they can send up to get an idea of estimating altitude and dragon air speed.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM

15,144 posts, read 19,789,533 times
Something this season just isn't clicking with me. Did the show change writers? The writing isn't nearly as good in previous seasons. All subtext is gone. Everything is right on the surface, and dialogue is written solely to explain things to the audience. Major plot points make no sense at all.

Is this what happens when the TV writers leave Martin behind?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,519,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Something this season just isn't clicking with me. Did the show change writers? The writing isn't nearly as good in previous seasons. All subtext is gone. Everything is right on the surface, and dialogue is written solely to explain things to the audience. Major plot points make no sense at all.

I think they are just trying to speed up the pace since they have a limited number of episodes to finish the story.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM

5,093 posts, read 3,355,109 times
Probably. The last two seasons are going to be the shortest, no?

They've put a exact end in and now the writers have to hit it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,668,374 times
All caught up now!!

That last episode.... im not sure.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM

4,567 posts, read 2,331,943 times
So at this point who all knows Jon Snow isn't a Stark? I suspect Bran will show up in Winterfell just after Jon leaves for Dragonstone. Perhaps they will send a raven to Dragonstone and the mother of dragons will be the one to tell Jon of his true heritage. That should be interesting.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 AM

27,610 posts, read 45,130,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Read this today and captures pretty well my reservations--
Which I think started at the end of last season--
The writing has suffered because the writers frankly aren't living w/in Martin's framework---
They are ignoring the characters' personalities and history to create "sensational events"...
I think this season GoT will jump the shark--the Sand Snakes almost accomplished that on their own--

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#285a6723b748

Old 07-25-2017, 10:30 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,519,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
So at this point who all knows Jon Snow isn't a Stark? I suspect Bran will show up in Winterfell just after Jon leaves for Dragonstone. Perhaps they will send a raven to Dragonstone and the mother of dragons will be the one to tell Jon of his true heritage. That should be interesting.
I don't think that's something someone would find out via raven and if Dany is the one to tell him, how does she know? I don't think even Varys knows and he knows everything.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM

27,610 posts, read 45,130,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Sansa gave up trying to get Jon to listen to her telling him he needed more men and left the night before the battle.

Jon thought he had all he could get.

Sansa went and convinced the knights of the Vale to join.

I don't think her viewing him on the field was how you took it. It was a positive that her brother was still alive and after Ramsey.

Certainly.

The Starks thus far have probably been the most unified family. I'm not expecting Jon vs Sansa. There's still Cersei to deal with, and Sansa wouldnt prevail there, Jon is a necessity.
Sansa didn't convince the Knights of the Vale--
Littlefinger arranged for that to happen since he is has the power as Robin's step-father...(and where is mad Robin???)
And Sansa SHOULD have been willing to tell John they were coming---she should have been so relieved to be place of safety after the last year that she threw off Littlefinger's influence but she didn't
And remember she was not that enamoured of John Snow when GoT started---she was embarassed to have her father's bastard around as part of the household --just as her mother was...
People seem to have forgotten that reluctance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or