U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 PM

2,528 posts, read 647,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There have been numerous references to how much King's Landing stinks, literally. Apparently sanitation isn't one of its attractions, so maybe they wouldn't even have to create bait.

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I saw something which I've seen represented on screen many times...a fire hydrant which had been knocked over, causing this tremendous 30 foot high fountain of water to shoot up like a reverse waterfall. Very impressive in person.

It struck me that what is needed against the dragons is some sort of water cannon, or if Qyburn can come up with some sort of chemical fire retardant, it shoots that. I'm figuring that any creature that can withstand the internal high temperatures needed to create fire breath, probably could not tolerate a rapid cooling or extinguishing of the heat source. When the dragon opens it mouth to munch someone, blast em with ultimate super soaker.
Curious you say that. Often when firefighters are battling forest fires, they will create another fire that is more controlled, and it is used to take out the wild fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM

37,163 posts, read 17,499,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Littlefinger s not quite right in the head--if you noticed
He views people as pawns and uses them for his game, his strategies
Nothing he does bears a resemblence to "love" as others know it
Even Cersei is more human than Littlefinger
I guess using the term "loves" in relation to Littlefinger's obsession w Sansa was the wrong choice
With Littlefinger you can't really tell if:

A. He has been thrown off his plan for gaining the Iron Throne by becoming obsessed with Sansa.

B. His obsession with Sansa is actually a part of his plan for gaining the Iron Throne.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 PM

11,159 posts, read 6,632,835 times
Quote:
i didnt read books and am not enslaved to the show's minutia but think it is plausible theory
Except its not a plausible theory if it goes against what we already know. You might consider the details of the show unimportant, but they're not. Theories should make sense and go along with what we already know, like the theory about Jon Snow's true parents. Or the theory that everything happened in the past and what we are seeing is a historical account written by Samwell. They make sense and are popular theories because there is a lot of evidence, even if just small details, from the show that supports these theories.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM

4,562 posts, read 2,326,007 times
Quote:
With Littlefinger you can't really tell if:

A. He has been thrown off his plan for gaining the Iron Throne by becoming obsessed with Sansa.

B. His obsession with Sansa is actually a part of his plan for gaining the Iron Throne.
I lean towards A, but I wouldn't be shocked if something happens between Littlefinger and Sansa. In the end I see Littlefinger bein killed by Sansa or possibly Arya. It's an interesting thought that Littlefinger may be the father of one of the girls. I doubt Sansa can be the daughter of Littlefinger, too much sexual affection from Littlefinger. But maybe Littlefinger doesn't know.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 PM

3,998 posts, read 2,984,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I might be wrong on this, but I think pureblood Targaryens have some form of psychic abilities, like how Daenerys was able to communicate to Drogon when she needs him the most, so I think she is going to sense the Targaryen in him. If not, then either it will be the dragons taking a liking to him, or if he is involved in an accident where he touches or falls into flames or fire, and he comes out of it unscathed.
IIRC the Valyrian dragonlords trained them with magic and as least some of the riders used the same sorts of tools used on elephants to cue them (hooks, whips, etc). Dany hasn't been using either, which is probably why her dragons do whatever they want like 95% of the time. Dragons are social and are smarter than other non-primate animals, so they can apparently pick up a fair amount of human language - dogs can have vocabularies of hundreds of words, so presumably a dragon could glean quite a bit from people talking to and around it.

I don't think the Targs need to have telepathy to have been the only ones left in the show's near history training dragons; the rest of the Valyrians died, and the Targs had a monopoly on viable dragon eggs. Dragons are inherently magical and they imprint on the one who hatches them - the Targs were given dragon eggs in their cribs. I suspect it's more the dragon tuning in to Dany than her tuning into the dragon.

Jon's warg tendencies and Valyrian blood probably can't hurt, though.

Quote:
However, I have always wondered about Arya. If any child is the result of revenge sex, I see it being Arya.
Revenge sex with who, Benjen? Arya's supposed to be super Stark-looking.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 PM

37,163 posts, read 17,499,209 times
Quote:
Curious you say that. Often when firefighters are battling forest fires, they will create another fire that is more controlled, and it is used to take out the wild fire.
I'm not sure what you meant with the above. In the case before us, fighting fire with fire wouldn't work. The dragons were literally born in and of fire, they cannot be burned, just like their mother. If the fire inside a dragon doesn't burn through the epidermis, then no outside source of heat is going to damage it either.

Mr. Freeze from Batman had the right kind of weapon to fight the dragons, but they aren't doing a GOT/DC crossover show.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,597,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not a logical goof. They can't have everything happen at once. There is a progression to the story. As others have pointed out, they needed to show us Bran in the first episode, or we would all be going "where's Bran?". They did, we know where he is, and when the time is right, his story will surface.

Timelines can't always be nitpicked on this show. They will probably show Jon at Dragonstone next week, just one episode after the R-mail arrived. Yet it would take weeks of travel on a boat to get there.

They gotta do what they gotta do to make the story flow.

Actually, the wall is considered a high honor by some. Sure, the dregs & criminals get sent there. But so do many highborn.

In Benjen's case, he was #2 in the Stark line after Ned. There was no place for him at Winterfell once Ned ascended to the Lordship. So he took the black.
According to Ned Stark, there has always been a Stark who had taken the Black and manned the Wall. Jon Snow was just the latest to do so, like Benjen before him.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,597,667 times
Quote:
I think you are overestimating Sansa's ability to co-opt Littlefinger---
He has an agenda---he wants her to agree to HIS agenda---he only brought the Knights of the Vale into that battle because it would save Sansa who he has ultimate design on...
Most people think Littlefinger sees himself as King of the North with Sansa as his queen since she has noble blood and he doesn't...but I keep thinking about his slavish infatuation with Catelyn Stark--I wonder if Littlefinger maybe has reason to think that Sansa is his child and not Ned Stark's...if so---the audience has been allowed to view his interest in her as a pseudo-sexual one transferred from her mother...
But maybe he loves her because she is his child....and a means to an end even in that guise...

But agree--that at this point Sansa doesn't know Bran nor Arya are alive...I think she knew that Riccon was killed by Ramsey
Littlefinger loved Catelyn, but it was not reciprocated and they never had relations. He made do with Lysa, her sister...apparently there was hankypanky between them during his stay at Riverun. I think Sansa's appearance is bringing back all the old feelings he had for Catelyn since Sansa looks so much like Catelyn did way back when.

He is such a slimeball....cannot wait to see when he finally gets what's coming to him.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you meant with the above. In the case before us, fighting fire with fire wouldn't work. The dragons were literally born in and of fire, they cannot be burned, just like their mother. If the fire inside a dragon doesn't burn through the epidermis, then no outside source of heat is going to damage it either.

Mr. Freeze from Batman had the right kind of weapon to fight the dragons, but they aren't doing a GOT/DC crossover show.
I was thinking along the lines of Cersei using wildfire. While fire itself can't kill the dragons or Dany, what about an all out explosion? If it's strong enough to tear apart something as large as a castle, I can assume the concussion from it would easily blow a dragon into little bacon bits.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
IIRC the Valyrian dragonlords trained them with magic and as least some of the riders used the same sorts of tools used on elephants to cue them (hooks, whips, etc). Dany hasn't been using either, which is probably why her dragons do whatever they want like 95% of the time. Dragons are social and are smarter than other non-primate animals, so they can apparently pick up a fair amount of human language - dogs can have vocabularies of hundreds of words, so presumably a dragon could glean quite a bit from people talking to and around it.

I don't think the Targs need to have telepathy to have been the only ones left in the show's near history training dragons; the rest of the Valyrians died, and the Targs had a monopoly on viable dragon eggs. Dragons are inherently magical and they imprint on the one who hatches them - the Targs were given dragon eggs in their cribs. I suspect it's more the dragon tuning in to Dany than her tuning into the dragon.

Jon's warg tendencies and Valyrian blood probably can't hurt, though.
When Dany is saved by Drogon, season 5, episode 9, she clasps hands with Missandei, then closes her eyes like she is trying to use telepathy to cry for help from Drogo, and then he shows up.

Then, we have another possibility, Maester Aemon seemed to take a liking to Jon, and later on, he reveals that he is a Targaryen. At the time of his death, we as viewers don't think much of his revelation, but now that we know the truth about Jon, did he sense that Jon was kin, or did he just know the truth because of his age and experience in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or