U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 03:12 PM

15,140 posts, read 19,784,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Apart from Jamie and Lady Olenna, we the audience didn't know any of the participants in the assault on her castle.
Jaimie, Bronn, and Olenna have all been major characters for the past few seasons, and taking Casterly Rock and the Tyrells is HUGE plot point. It just seemed weird to me to cover them both in 5 minutes or less.

At this rate, Seasons 7 and 8 are going to cover more critical plot than Seasons 1-6 combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:12 PM

37,171 posts, read 17,512,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The Dornish are reputed to be wickedly good fighters. At least I think Ser Bronn said something to that effect.

Plus, Lannisters have killed too many Dornish nobles. Perhaps the Dornish, like the Northerners, also have good memories.

I suppose that would depend upon the degree to which the Dornish held their leaders to be worthwhile. There was the always vacillating never take action Prince Doran Martell, and his show off bisexual brother. They were usurped by the Sands who all seemed like D-bags. Now they are all gone and it might be that the Dornes see it as good riddance.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM

5,565 posts, read 7,673,559 times
Quote:
Lady Olenna confessed to the crime, but she neither implicated Littlefinger who was in on it, nor cleared Tyrion and Sansa who were not. Cercei is free to continue to believe that her brother and Sansa conspired with Olenna, and knowing Cercei, that seems like the sort of thing that she would do.

I could see a reconciliation between Jamie and Tyrion. First, Jamie hasn't hated Tyrion from birth as Cersei has. Second, Jamie felt betrayed by Tyrion when he used Jamie's escape aid to also kill Tywin.

But...if Jamie accepts that Tyrion had nothing to do with Joffrey's murder, he may realize that his father was indeed prepared to let Tyrion die for a crime Tywin knew he did not commit. In that light Jamie might forgive Tyrion for the patricide.

Working against that is Jamie's weakness....his romantic relationship with Cersei. Last night we saw that despite all that has come to pass, if Cercei offers herself to Jamie, Jamie plunges in.
I think Euron Greyjoy may come between Cersei and Jamie.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 PM

6,905 posts, read 4,482,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Jaimie, Bronn, and Olenna have all been major characters for the past few seasons, and taking Casterly Rock and the Tyrells is HUGE plot point. It just seemed weird to me to cover them both in 5 minutes or less.

At this rate, Seasons 7 and 8 are going to cover more critical plot than Seasons 1-6 combined.
I agree. I am not liking that they are just rushing to the end. They could have milked Season 1 to 6 maybe have done a prequel when Bran met the 3 Eye raven going back in time to see the saga of the Mad King and Robert's Rebellion thus allowing GRRM to finish the book.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 PM

32,177 posts, read 39,371,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I think Euron Greyjoy may come between Cersei and Jamie.
Or, if she's really adventurous, Cersei may come between Euron and Jaime.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:37 PM

37,171 posts, read 17,512,604 times
Quote:

You aren't wrong, I would have enjoyed such scenes as well. However, there is only x amount of screentime available and x amount of money to pay for everything. We are free to make decisions about the story based on what we would like to see. The producers must operate under the restraints mentioned above. They have to decide what to show and what not to show because all that gets shown is at the expense of what isn't shown.

It was the same sort of decision they made when we were not shown the Stannis attack on the Boltons at Winterfell, only the aftermath. Had they shown that, then it would have been at the expense of other scenes they wanted to show....less expensive scenes.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,378,235 times
Quote:
There will be plot-holes, it is unavoidable when telling so sprawling a saga within a limited time frame. Last night they showed Brandon turning up at Winterfell as a surprise. Really? Not one person back at the wall would have dispatched this momentous news to Winterfell by raven?
I brought that up a week or so ago, but upon reconsideration, there's at least an explanation for the lack of raven.

Eddison Tollett (yes, I had to look that up) Jon Snow's friend and successor as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch could have sent a raven regarding the reappearance of Brandon Stark, but sending Brandon and Meera Jojen unannounced meant that fewer people would know that a male Stark heir was returning home - less chance of an assassination attempt upon the newly rediscovered Lord of Winterfell.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM

15,140 posts, read 19,784,335 times
Quote:
You aren't wrong, I would have enjoyed such scenes as well. However, there is only x amount of screentime available and x amount of money to pay for everything. We are free to make decisions about the story based on what we would like to see. The producers must operate under the restraints mentioned above. They have to decide what to show and what not to show because all that gets shown is at the expense of what isn't shown.
I understand, but I'm baffled by the apparent lack of rhyme or reason. The impending and actual attack on King's Landing took an entire season. But Season 7 has had major conquests at 2 castles covering 2 huge plot points within 10 minutes of screen time. I just don't understnad the reasoning. Are the producers just tired and saying: Time to end this. Or is HBO finally fed up and said: End this in two short seasons. We have Westworld to pay for. They seemed willing to engage in intimate character development and plot progression throughout Seasons 1-6. Now in Season 7 they are rushing through everything.

Also:

Some please help me understand this: How is Euron Greyjoy's magic fleet able to cross thousands of miles of ocean on a daily basis, but the Night King's army seems to be taking years to cover ten miles?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:56 PM

895 posts, read 1,205,161 times
Quote:

Some please help me understand this: How is Euron Greyjoy's magic fleet able to cross thousands of miles of ocean on a daily basis, but the Night King's army seems to be taking years to cover ten miles?
Euron and his fleet are in sailing vessels.
The Night King and his army are walking.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:04 PM

8,012 posts, read 5,332,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Euron and his fleet are in sailing vessels.
The Night King and his army are walking.
Yeah, and look at how they just shuffle along, no spirit to their step at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or