U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 02:15 PM

37,046 posts, read 17,459,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

HBO has commissioned the writing of four or five different Game of Throne spinoffs, by different groups of writers. The only condition was that none of them be sequels. If they like one, they will take it to series But they have said they will only do it if they like it. It's possible none of them will make the grade. And even then, it's likely to be 3-5 years off.
Spinoffs? As in taking characters from GOT and placing them in new situations?

Maybe Hot Pie and Bronn get together and open up a combination Bakery/Sellsword business called "Bread Or Dead"

Perhaps a sit-com "The Tarleys" which follows the hilarious adventures of Samwell and Gilly as he struggles to set up his Maester practice in the Essos plains among all the superstitious, nomadic Dothraki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:23 PM

3,575 posts, read 4,205,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Spinoffs? As in taking characters from GOT and placing them in new situations?
Sorry, I wasn't clear (and by the way, love your ideas!).

Spinoff in that it's set in the world of Ice & Fire. Could be 5,000 years ago, or 300. They don't want the same characters, and they don't want a sequel. Could be The Conquest, when Aegon united the Seven Kingdoms. Could be old Valyria, before the Doom. Anything, just not current.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:30 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,822,636 times
I'd like a spinoff following the adventures of the Lady of Bear Island.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,707,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I'd like a spinoff following the adventures of the Lady of Bear Island.
An episode of Lady Lyanna holding court would be awesome, she's such a great character and props to the young actress, Bella Ramsey, she does a fantastic job. I'd love to see life on Bear island, even better if they used Kodiak, Alaska as the location, as I envision Bear island very similar in landscape, weather, flora and fauna.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:39 PM

37,046 posts, read 17,459,158 times
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear (and by the way, love your ideas!).

Spinoff in that it's set in the world of Ice & Fire. Could be 5,000 years ago, or 300. They don't want the same characters, and they don't want a sequel. Could be The Conquest, when Aegon united the Seven Kingdoms. Could be old Valyria, before the Doom. Anything, just not current.
A sequel would be better, as in events going forward rather than a realization of the backstory we already know. We would know that Aegon was successful in his conquests, where would the suspense be in depicting that?

Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM

15,097 posts, read 19,740,991 times
Nothing official yet, but Martin has hinted that the spin-offs will take place in other parts of the world than Westeros. Possibly even other time periods.

The only plot I know of to which he has said "absolutely not" is a direct prequel to GAME OF THRONES, dealing with young Eddard, Robert, etc. Simply because by the time GAME OF THRONES is over, all that will be covered. Why cover a story you already know?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:24 PM

2,455 posts, read 636,447 times
Quote:
No, it was never revealed, except to us viewers.

Bran is the only one who knows, although there seems to be some mystery about Howland Reed (Meera's father). He was with Ned Stark at the Tower, and was the only other person to survive the events there. It's believed he is still alive in present times.

HBO briefly considered changing producers, but wisely decided to stay with D&D. The compromise was extending it one more season.

I think most of the 25 million viewers would disagree as to your analysis, especially those who have read the books. There were dozens of characters in the books that weren't needed to tell a taut story. And most of the violence & sex is in the books. D&D have done a great job of taking a series of books, not made to be filmed, and turning them into a modern day cultural event.

It can be very challenging to take a book series like this, and translate it to the screen. For example, all the complaints about how time moves in the show: In the books, GRRM tries to show the passage of time better, so when a character needs to get from the North to the South, and it will take months, GRRM spends chapter after chapter of other events to fill that time. As a result, dozens more characters are introduced to fill that time.

In the TV series, that would create a mess that we couldn't follow. That's why D&D often created a single character to "meld together" two or three book characters. And that's why events just "happen". They can't worry about how long things should take, they just "make it so".

It makes for a much better story. And 98% of viewers don't give it a second thought. Only us GoT fanatics analyze it to death.
No it wasn't. And explain to me why did D&D thought it would be a good idea to have Sansa raped when she never was raped in the book? In fact, the violence and sexual violence against women makes me wonder if the producers and people who actually like to watch this stuff, are seriously sick in the head and need mental help.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 PM

2,455 posts, read 636,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Meh. If anything, the Star Wars franchise was a perfect example of movie studio who refused to stop due to $$$ and the story suffered as a result. From a writer/director's standpoint, George Lucas knew that whatever story he needed to tell, he'd already told in 6 installments. That's probably the main reason why he sold it to Disney. I watched the recent installment simply to see the original main cast together again in big screen, nothing more. Now that Carrie Fisher is gone and Hans Solo was killed, I couldn't care less what happened next. Rouge One was a disaster that I couldn't finish.

Speaking of franchise, didn't HBO announce a while back that they're going to do a GOT spin off once the show is done? That'll satisfy a lot of fans, I suppose. I will wait for it with cautious optimism.
But then, Law and Order, SVU was a spin off of the original Law and Order, and has even gotten more acclaim, awards and is still on the air while the original show has been cancelled.

And one of the top shows for a decade, NCIS, is a spin off from JAG.

And as for Star Wars, I actually read spin off stories like 20 something years ago, which were excellent, so it all comes down to the creators behind the newer installments are just talentless hacks that don't know what they are doing.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM

3,585 posts, read 3,671,819 times
Does anyone think Yara Greyjoy will manage to survive? She's one of my favorite characters so I hope she isn't killed off.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:47 PM

5,772 posts, read 2,966,169 times
Sad to see Olenna leave -- I loved her character.
Are there any Tyrells left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or