Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times

Advertisements

I've been lukewarm on this season so far but that episode was fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Khaleesi has a lot more Dothraki than I had previously thought.

I wonder how she manages to feed so many mouths, not to mention the forage needed for all of those horses. She's certainly not getting her supply from Dragonstone - it's a mostly barren rock.

Is she using the cities of Slavers Bay as her supply, or is she being propped up with loans from the Iron Bank and purchasing food and forage from the Free Cities on the western coast of Essos?

Or this the case of television magic?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Khaleesi has a lot more Dothraki than I had previously thought.

I wonder how she manages to feed so many mouths, not to mention the forage needed for all of those horses. She's certainly not getting her supply from Dragonstone - it's a mostly barren rock.

Is she using the cities of Slavers Bay as her supply, or is she being propped up with loans from the Iron Bank and purchasing food and forage from the Free Cities on the western coast of Essos?

Or this the case of television magic?
Mostly television magic. But, I am assuming the Tyrells were going to help with the food part, and that's how she was planning to feed them all (who knows, maybe Olenna Tyrell helped get some gardens started on the island) But when Dani learns that the Lannisters took over High Garden, it's what got her desperate and made her attack the troops on their way to Casterly Rock. I'm thinking she plans to take back High Garden so she has control of the food sources.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile2001 View Post
TV magic, the same TV magic that allows fleets to traverse long distances in a few hours. Don't think too hard about it. Besides, seeing the dragons decimate the Lannister army makes it worth setting aside all belief.
Webster:
The connection between decimate and the number ten harks back to a brutal practice of the army of ancient Rome. A unit that was guilty of a severe crime (such as mutiny) was punished by selecting and executing one-tenth of its soldiers, thereby scaring the remaining nine-tenths into obedience.

Looked like more than 10% to me

Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Who saved Jamie? Was it Bronn?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Mostly television magic. But, I am assuming the Tyrells were going to help with the food part, and that's how she was planning to feed them all (who knows, maybe Olenna Tyrell helped get some gardens started on the island) But when Dani learns that the Lannisters took over High Garden, it's what got her desperate and made her attack the troops on their way to Casterly Rock. I'm thinking she plans to take back High Garden so she has control of the food sources.
Yeah, the Tyrell gold had already made it into King's Landing (to pay off the Iron Bank), but the remaining wagons were full of food for King's Landing, food looted from the Reach.

I was watching the wagons go up in flames and thinking to myself that Daenerys could probably use that food on Dragonstone.

I also wondered how the Dothraki managed to make it all the way to the Reach, until I realized that the Lannister army column was probably only a few hours from King's Landing. Daenerys probably has enough ships to take her Dothraki for a short outing to the Crownlands. And Euron Greyjoy isn't crazy enough to try to stop her ships, what with three dragons flying interference for them.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:53 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Yeah, you can see Bronn eyeing the horse after he jumped off the scorpion, and then we see two white horses get killed in a blaze of fire.

But here's a question. I seen people irked when Arya is coming to Winterfell and is dealing with the dumb guards in the front, and when she asked who is in charge and they say Lady Stark, and she asks "which Lady Stark" people are wondering why would she ask that when she should know that her mother is dead, and Sansa would be the last. I told that person it's probably because she assumes that Jon might have taken up the Stark name and married and left his bride in charge. The person I'm arguing with just thinks either Arya is stupid, or the writers screwed up.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Pretty certain that it was. Might have been Dickon, but he probably doesn't think that quickly.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
But here's a question. I seen people irked when Arya is coming to Winterfell and is dealing with the dumb guards in the front, and when she asked who is in charge and they say Lady Stark, and she asks "which Lady Stark" people are wondering why would she ask that when she should know that her mother is dead, and Sansa would be the last. I told that person it's probably because she assumes that Jon might have taken up the Stark name and married and left his bride in charge. The person I'm arguing with just thinks either Arya is stupid, or the writers screwed up.
There's a theory on the web about Arya, and I think the writers are playing around with the viewers about it.

Spoiler
The unsupported theory is that Arya is actually the Waif. Supposedly, the Waif won their last fight, and took Arya's face. In the last scene in the House of Black and White, where we see The Waif's bloody face in a niche, it might have been not the Waif's real face, but a borrowed Face that was returned.

Back in season 6, the Waif and Arya played the Game of Faces, where Arya had to recount her life story to the Waif, and the Waif would strike her whenever she detected Arya attempting to lie. Supposedly, it was to teach Arya to be a better liar, but it also gave the Waif all the background information about Arya. The last scene between Jaqen H'Gar and Arya - Jaqen says that now a girl is truly no one. Arya retorts that she's Arya Stark of Winterfell and she's going home. It could be the Waif showing Jaqen that she truly mastered the Arya persona.

The theory would explain some different characteristics about Arya this season, such as table manners not befitting a high-born, her stilted interaction with Hot Pie, her ability to make and use Faces, even good enough to mimic Walder Frey's voice, how she managed to obtain/create enough poison to kill all the men of House Frey, etc.

Still, every now and then, Arya lets something slip that shows she's still Arya. Such as when she encounters Nymeria, offers to let the direwolf come back to Winterfell and be her pet again. Back in season one, her father Ned Stark told Arya that she would be married to a lord or prince, be a Lady of a House, and have lots of sons. Arya tells her father "that's not me"; when Arya realizes that Nymeria is no longer a pet, she echoes that phrase, telling Nymeria "that's not you".

And then the writers just have to have her duel Brienne, beat her (showing a much improved skill she never exhibited before), and when asked who taught her, Arya, instead of saying the First Sword of Braavos, said "No One" - echoing Jaqen's statement "finally a girl is no one", possibly the Waif-as-Arya referring to the dead Arya.

So now I'm stumped. Is Arya really the Waif using Arya's face, or are the writers aware of the incorrect theory and just screwing around with us?

Old 08-06-2017, 10:37 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
I thought so, but asked the SO and she's not sure who jumped on him.
"Pity about the gold coins, Bronn"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV