U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 02:25 AM

2,556 posts, read 657,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Same thing happened to his brother, getting dumped in the water and apparently drowning. As with Tyrion, I expect we will see a revived Jamie. The rule for television and movie heroes and villains is that if you don't actually see the character die, the character didn't die and will resurface at some point. And sometimes you see them die and they still come back.

Further, if they wanted to knock Jamie off in tonight's episode, they would have had him nuked by dragon breath, much more spectacular than drowning.
This is true, especially with this show. Who here all thought Hound was a goner before he shows up in season 6?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:03 AM

115 posts, read 53,222 times
The practice between Arya & Brienne was amazing.. I don't wait to see the next episode. How many people watched the leaked episode or waited?

Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 AM

6,918 posts, read 4,495,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deankendrick View Post
The practice between Arya & Brienne was amazing.. I don't wait to see the next episode. How many people watched the leaked episode or waited?
I watched the leaked.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 4,382,060 times
Quote:
Why would the Waif have wiped out the Freys?
Just to keep my slightly off musings from polluting the thread...

Spoiler
The Waif, if she is playing Arya, shouldn't be killing anyone in Westeros - unless she's on an assassination mission. I don't believe the Waif-is-Arya theory. I recall one more piece of evidence from last night - there's no way the Waif could have known that Eddard Stark's funerary statue is a poor likeness.

However, the slight nod/bow that Petyr Baelish gave Arya after her sparring with Brienne of Tarth gave me the creeps. At that point, I considered that Baelish, whose motto is "chaos is a ladder", might have contracted with the Faceless Men to kill all potential rivals for the Iron Throne. Even the Valyrian dagger making an appearance and winding up in the hands of the Waif/Arya ticked off in the back of my mind - Littlefinger's blade that arguably started the War of the Five Kings is back, it was first given to a paid cutthroat, and now is in the hands of a trained assassin.

The only reason I can think of that that explains why the Waif would have taken on Arya's persona is because that makes it easier for her to infiltrate Winterfell and kill the remaining Starks in one fell swoop. Arya taking on the Walder Frey persona certainly made killing all of the male Freys much simpler.

But then, Arya has been demonstrating to the viewing audience that she's not the Waif, so the theory falls apart.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:15 AM

9,477 posts, read 7,637,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
There's a theory on the web about Arya, and I think the writers are playing around with the viewers about it.

Spoiler
The unsupported theory is that Arya is actually the Waif. Supposedly, the Waif won their last fight, and took Arya's face. In the last scene in the House of Black and White, where we see The Waif's bloody face in a niche, it might have been not the Waif's real face, but a borrowed Face that was returned.

Back in season 6, the Waif and Arya played the Game of Faces, where Arya had to recount her life story to the Waif, and the Waif would strike her whenever she detected Arya attempting to lie. Supposedly, it was to teach Arya to be a better liar, but it also gave the Waif all the background information about Arya. The last scene between Jaqen H'Gar and Arya - Jaqen says that now a girl is truly no one. Arya retorts that she's Arya Stark of Winterfell and she's going home. It could be the Waif showing Jaqen that she truly mastered the Arya persona.

The theory would explain some different characteristics about Arya this season, such as table manners not befitting a high-born, her stilted interaction with Hot Pie, her ability to make and use Faces, even good enough to mimic Walder Frey's voice, how she managed to obtain/create enough poison to kill all the men of House Frey, etc.

Still, every now and then, Arya lets something slip that shows she's still Arya. Such as when she encounters Nymeria, offers to let the direwolf come back to Winterfell and be her pet again. Back in season one, her father Ned Stark told Arya that she would be married to a lord or prince, be a Lady of a House, and have lots of sons. Arya tells her father "that's not me"; when Arya realizes that Nymeria is no longer a pet, she echoes that phrase, telling Nymeria "that's not you".

And then the writers just have to have her duel Brienne, beat her (showing a much improved skill she never exhibited before), and when asked who taught her, Arya, instead of saying the First Sword of Braavos, said "No One" - echoing Jaqen's statement "finally a girl is no one", possibly the Waif-as-Arya referring to the dead Arya.

So now I'm stumped. Is Arya really the Waif using Arya's face, or are the writers aware of the incorrect theory and just screwing around with us?

I disagree. The final scene when Arya lured the Waif into her hiding place was deliberate. She had been blind and was trained at fighting in the dark. She used that to her advantage to win the battle.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:36 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,789,362 times
Quote:
Agreed. Conspiracy theory aside, there's no motif for the waif to go all that length just to impersonate.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I disagree. The final scene when Arya lured the Waif into her hiding place was deliberate. She had been blind and was trained at fighting in the dark. She used that to her advantage to win the battle.
She wasn't a master at fighting blind. Also, she took a stab wound to the gut. During her travels with the hound they encounter a man that had a stab wound in the gut. The hound said that it will not get any better and killed him out of mercy.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
What if someone paid for that murder??? (littlefinger) They killed his love Caitlin Stark. The faceless men are assassins. Arya had a task to kill Lady Crane

Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 4,382,060 times
Just for the record, I don't adhere to the Arya theory that I've brought up in this thread.

I just thought that every now and then the writers were teasing the theorists.

And, as has already been pointed out, it might be more a simple case of plot holes rather than writers stringing along these Arya theorists.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 AM

37,180 posts, read 17,526,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Khaleesi has a lot more Dothraki than I had previously thought.

I wonder how she manages to feed so many mouths, not to mention the forage needed for all of those horses. She's certainly not getting her supply from Dragonstone - it's a mostly barren rock.

Is she using the cities of Slavers Bay as her supply, or is she being propped up with loans from the Iron Bank and purchasing food and forage from the Free Cities on the western coast of Essos?

Or this the case of television magic?
Speaking of television magic....I didn't think of it until watching episode three again before last night's new installment. In what amounted to a throwaway line, Cersei credits Qyburn with figuring out what kind of poison killed killed her daughter, and being able to not only duplicate it, but the antidote as well.

Really? Wouldn't such a thing involve taking blood or tissue samples and running them through chemical and microscopic examination? This sort of lab pathology was available to Qyburn?

I also question why the Lannisters didn't build a few dozen of those anti-dragon ballistas. As far as they knew, they would be facing three dragons at once. And the fact that they brought the one ballista along on the march suggests that they were anticipating dragon attacks. They were going to shoot down all three beasts with the one weapon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or