U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,373,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The ballista was a Greek invention, the Romans copied theirs. The Scorpion was a specific smaller ballista used as an anti personnel weapon...as in killing one enemy soldier. The ballista shown in GOT, whatever Qyburn decided to call it, was larger than a Scorpion. The bolt launched from a Scorpion would have been a pin prick to the immense dragon.

Here is a modern day reproduction of a Roman Scorpion, as you can see, it is far smaller.
I'm guessing that the GOT script writers found a mention of Roman scorpions in their cursory research and simply lifted the name. Scorpion probably sounded better to them than "really, really big crossbow".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 PM

37,139 posts, read 17,492,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
. Scorpion probably sounded better to them than "really, really big crossbow".
Or "Anti-Airborne Incendiary Reptilian Missile Launcher"

Old 08-08-2017, 03:54 PM

32,176 posts, read 39,325,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Or "Anti-Airborne Incendiary Reptilian Missile Launcher"
Ground Launched Portable Anti- Incendiary Reptile Air Defense Module (GLPAIRDM).

Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 PM

2,647 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't think GoT dragons are any more "controlled" than a trained attack dog is. They're inherently magical, yes, but it seems they go along with their masters based on bonding/imprinting and subsequent training, not telepathic control or the like. We've seen Dany teaching Drogon verbal commands. I think there's also been the implication that the smaller two dragons follow Drogon's lead, but that wouldn't be enough to guarantee they'd only target enemy troops and animals in the heat of battle, I wouldn't think.

I think it's been pretty clear that Dany more-or-less has the dragons' cooperation most of the time, rather than has direct control of them - hence needing to chain them up under that pyramid because they were eating peasants, and Drogon abandoning her on the plain, and whatnot.
It has been established that the Dragons are fairly intelligent and intuitive, and probably can tell who should be allowed to ride and command.

And, I assume there will be survivors from the Bitter bridge attack, who will make it to King's Landing. Their tales of the event will prime the residents for the first view of Dragons near the Red Keep.
King's Landing will become a ghost town fairly quickly.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM

595 posts, read 356,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
And didn't Bran say that he "saw her at the crossroad"? Had Arya been the Waif, how would he have tuned into her?
I think he saw her at the crossroads, but also saw a lot more. he knows a lot of what's she's done, even though he doesn't say anything, and has no problems giving her the dagger.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:17 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,100,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
It has been established that the Dragons are fairly intelligent and intuitive, and probably can tell who should be allowed to ride and command.
This is why they didn't eat Tyrion when he unchained them. Also why,although I'm sure its not going to happen, I want to see Tyrion as a dragon rider.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 645,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Once his true lineage is revealed, I suspect that Jon might become a rider.
I always thought the story was leaning towards Jon, and Tyrion, as being the other Dragon riders.

But, Tyrion has been with Dany for some time now, you would think he would have gotten the chance to jump on one of them. So, I was thinking, the one major character that really hasn't met Dany, or her dragons, and would be kind of tongue in cheek humor kind of thing, would be The Hound.

If not him, then maybe Brienne.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If Arya was no one, she wouldn't have gotten so excited when she heard that her family was at Winterfel. I think it's safe to assume that Arya is Arya.
I agree, and Bran, being the way he is, would have said something. Plus we have the meeting with Nymeria. If that wasn't Arya, the wolf would have killed her.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I thought the Mountain couldn't be killed. Isn't he already dead?
For some reason, I keep seeing an Arya/Hound duo being used to go after The Mountain. She has the speed and brains, while Sandor has the raw power, and the real hatred towards his brother. Arya probably does her water dance, and ends up bringing the Mountain down with stabs and pricks, and then the Hound will come in and completely cut him in half with one giant swoop. And hopefully they know to burn the body.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:44 PM

3,593 posts, read 4,217,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
What? Hey, if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't blame him one bit. He knows the stories of the Mad King and the destruction that dragons can cause, and he had to take that chance.

Hey, I didn't like it how that one Dothraki charged toward Bronn and sliced his horse's leg off. But it's war, and rules and regulations go out the window the second that first bullet, or arrow in this case, flies past your head.
The Mad King (Dany's father) was just 20 years ago. He burned his loyal subjects, but with wildfire. The last dragon died over 100 years ago. And the really big ones 150-200 years ago.

Part of what they are trying to show us is how Westerosi armies fight like the regimented soldiers of old, while the Dothraki are savage street fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And, I have to say. I was originally rooting for the dragon, but Bronn was such a bad ass, I had to root for him. That man had some serious guts and true loyalty to do what he did for Jamie.
Attached Thumbnails
Game of Thrones Season 7-bronn.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or