Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times

Advertisements

I guess we'll find out later in the season! (or maybe next year )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
I was a little disappointed to see Dickon killed, it seemed like they were setting him up as another character who had a conscious despite parenting.

The Littlefinger/Arya/Sansa drama seems almost unnecessary at this point. It doesn't add much to the overall story line and is eating up my prescious screen time. Can we just kill off Baylesh already, please?

Overall a good episode, lots was covered, but it didn't feel rushed.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Did Sam take THAT exact book with him? It was dark and I couldn't tell if he picked that one up or not, and he pretty much ignored Gilly when he was venting, so he didn't hear the content.
As I remember the scene, Sam took the book from Gilly and handed it to little Sam. I have no idea why Samwell Tarly thought that the Diary of High Septon Maynard was suitable reading for a child.

As far as I know, the book may have wound up on the wagon, in the possession of young Sam. Or the child might have torn up the book or thrown it in the fire - who knows at this point. But the video below at the 2:45 time mark **might** show the book tucked under young Sam's right arm as the ersatz Tarly family departs Oldtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uael59PBA8

As for Samwell ignoring what Gilly was reading - Sam believes Jon Snow to be Ned Stark's bastard, so the mention of a certain 'Prince Raggar' getting both an annulment and a subsequent secret Dornish wedding meant nothing to Samwell Tarly.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
How many episodes are left this year?

I agree regarding Arya/Sansa/Baelish storyline being unnecessary at this point. I'm sick of seeing Baelish and his smirk. And I'm not happy with Arya's character development either. After all she's been through, she's still a stupid little girl whose tendency to act first and think later still remains strong. You would think she'd learned a thing or two.

On another note, until last night, I did not realize that Sam was Dickon's brother, despite knowing their last name! So now he's sole heir to Tarly name?

I'm also curious to see how the show will play out Hound's storyline. I think they have a grand plan for him.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
So now he's (Samwell's) sole heir to Tarly name?
Samwell is a sworn member of the Night's Watch, and as such can't claim the Tarly lordship. The only person in the entire series who was able to legally leave the Watch was assassinated and resurrected - his death fulfilled his vow.

Then again, the old rules may no longer matter when death marches on the Seven Kingdoms. I can see many people rising to prominence by the end of the series.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
As I remember the scene, Sam took the book from Gilly and handed it to little Sam. I have no idea why Samwell Tarly thought that the Diary of High Septon Maynard was suitable reading for a child.
He was getting irritated with Gilly reading it to him. He gave it to little Sam just so she would stop reading it. And... because that way it "accidentally" makes it onto the wagon as they leave Oldtown.

Can you say Chekhov's Book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
How many episodes are left this year?

I agree regarding Arya/Sansa/Baelish storyline being unnecessary at this point. I'm sick of seeing Baelish and his smirk. And I'm not happy with Arya's character development either. After all she's been through, she's still a stupid little girl whose tendency to act first and think later still remains strong. You would think she'd learned a thing or two.
Only two episodes left. And interestingly, they have not released the episode titles yet.

While the Arya/LF/Sansa story pales compared to Dragons, we don't know what GRRM has in store for us, as the endgame. It must have some significance, or D&D wouldn't spend so much time on it.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Did Gilly just unwittingly discover proof that Jon is not a bastard after all?
Yup- thousands and thousands of books, and they stumbled right on that one.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Arya needed to do more training with the Faceless Men. No way Jaqen Hagar gets spotted coming out of Littlefinger's room.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Yup- thousands and thousands of books, and they stumbled right on that one.
I thought the way they revealed that info was corny. You're right, Gilly just so happened to read the story of Lyanna and Rhaegar and of all her reading that was the one thing that stood out to her and was worth mentioning to Sam. Yeah right. I wish they would have just had Bran do his warg thing again and so we could see the marriage on screen. That would have been less cheesy.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I thought the way they revealed that info was corny. You're right, Gilly just so happened to read the story of Lyanna and Rhaegar and of all her reading that was the one thing that stood out to her and was worth mentioning to Sam. Yeah right. I wish they would have just had Bran do his warg thing again and so we could see the marriage on screen. That would have been less cheesy.
Totally agree. Way too cheesy. I hate to over analyze the reality of TV shows and Movies, but that was ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV