Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,075,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're misjudging Varys. He is the closest person to a John Adams in Westeros. He is out for the best interests of the people. As long as he thinks Dany is their best hope at peace and justice, he'll serve her faithfully. If he ever doubts her, he'll start working against her. He's already told her this outright. She'd be wise to take him at his word.
She did. She told him that if he ever betrayed her, she would burn him. Varys replied that this was just what he would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,535,576 times
Every couple episodes (this last episode a glaring example) I am troubled by the travel thing. Yeah I know it would be a boring show if they were more realistic and it took the expected time to travel from one end of the continent to the other in a row boat. But still, if you (I) think about it, the speed of traveling from one place to another, be it by horseback, by foot or by boat, is a little much.

Of course travel by dragon is a different story......... If Elon Musk is a fan of the show I bet he is inventing dragon travel right now! Oh, wait a minute..... He already has.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,673,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
But in the books, he . . .

So, I think in the tv series he more serves the role of comic sidekick - just there to lighten the mood after we've been served an overabundance of bloodshed.
We've strayed pretty far from the books, already. There is no going back there.

You could be right. Pod could just continue to be a light foil for Brienne to drag along. We'll see.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 PM

8,404 posts, read 7,385,658 times
Just a wild guess, but Podrick Payne is probably the Neville Longbottom of the series.

He's gonna have his day of glory, probably in the final episode.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,294,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Just a wild guess, but Podrick Payne is probably the Neville Longbottom of the series.

He's gonna have his day of glory, probably in the final episode.
I love this mixing of stories.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,577,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I don't think that Cersei is in love with Jamie any longer, now that she has the Iron Throne everyone is judged for their usefulness to her or their danger to her. She is completely preoccupied by fighting to sustain her power, she has no time or interest in love with anyone. When she needs to use Jamie, she recharges his commitment to her with some sexual favors, but that is all it is.

Jamie is a complex character, a mixture of virtues and vices. He is wise at times and naive at others. He has been amorally indifferent to others at times, and taken moral stances at others. His experiences in life have been contradictory. When he killed the Mad King he did so to spare lives in Kings Landing, but all that got him was his reputation as a traitor and Kingslayer.

Having a conscience had gotten him condemned, so for a time he abandoned moral behavior in favor of amoral self indulgence, culminating with his cold hearted disposal of Brandon. Then fortune turned against him culminating in the loss of his hand, and the old Jamie with a conscience re-emerged, as illustrated by his going back to rescue Brienne.

Now he is a man in moral chaos. He sees that Cersei is not the best choice for the ruler of Westeros, but he cannot change sides without going against the family, and losing Cersei forever while he still remains in sexual thrall to her.

If their love scenes are uneasy to watch, it might be because we aren't watching love, we are watching exploitation and addiction.

This is why I think Cersei will die at the hands of Jamie, stepping in to save Tyrion from his death.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,220,520 times
Not everybody has to have some overarching purpose in the story. There are characters to provide humor, foils, foibles, even exposition. Pod is one of those. And sometimes they even have their moment of fame.

Quote:
You're misjudging Varys. He is the closest person to a John Adams in Westeros. He is out for the best interests of the people. As long as he thinks Dany is their best hope at peace and justice, he'll serve her faithfully. If he ever doubts her, he'll start working against her. He's already told her this outright. She'd be wise to take him at his word.
I can only rep you once. Well said.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,933,899 times
Quote:
Apparently I am not the only one who thinks the writing this season is by far the weakest to date. Rushing at a breakneck pace and very shoddy plotting and character development.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Has the show changes writers? Or are the showrunners just tired? I get the impression that meetings in the writers' room this year all ended with, "Argh! I'm so tired of this! Just end it already!"

It's sad that this season the show LOOKS better than it ever has. But the writing is the worst it has ever been.
I agree. Four different characters in the same show responded with "And?" in a conversation. Lazy writing.

I realize they have to cram a lot of events in a short period of time, but the character development is really lacking in this season. As much as I love this show, I think the decision to end this next year is the right one.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 AM

10,425 posts, read 4,018,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Every couple episodes (this last episode a glaring example) I am troubled by the travel thing. Yeah I know it would be a boring show if they were more realistic and it took the expected time to travel from one end of the continent to the other in a row boat. But still, if you (I) think about it, the speed of traveling from one place to another, be it by horseback, by foot or by boat, is a little much.

Of course travel by dragon is a different story......... If Elon Musk is a fan of the show I bet he is inventing dragon travel right now! Oh, wait a minute..... He already has.
Well, what makes you think it's speed in the travel itself? Maybe they are just fastfowarding the time. It's too bad we don't have a pregnant woman around to see that time is going by. Back in season 3, episode 8, Talisa wasn't showing any signs of pregnancy. By episode 9, she clearly had a visible bump, which means about 3 to 5 months have passed from one episode to the other. Perhaps the same thing is happening here, and I guess we can look at the time it takes the crows to move from one castle to the next.

Speaking of crows, someone mentioned that when Arya was sifting through Littlefinger's room, we could hear a crow from the outside. Are we to presume everytime we hear a crow, it's Bran watching?

Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 AM

10,425 posts, read 4,018,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
We've strayed pretty far from the books, already. There is no going back there.

You could be right. Pod could just continue to be a light foil for Brienne to drag along. We'll see.
But don't we already have that with Sam?

But I guess he has his moments. He's Brienne's version of Merry, while Sam is Jon's version of Samwise Gamgee.

Who knows, now that Gendry is back into the mix, I wonder if it was intentional for the casting directors to cast Gendry and Pod actors looking similar. At least I always thought the two men look similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV