Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 02:09 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,459,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Those sorts of things have not been my complaints. I get annoyed with things like their showing Bronn emerging with Jamie on the opposite bank from where they went into the water. Or the show expecting us to believe that no one at the Black Castle would have bothered sending a raven to Winterfell with the news that Brandon had turned up alive. Or that Euron Greyjoy could slip an entire fleet in among Yara's ships without it being detected. Or Euron using a ship under sail to ram another ship.

Those weren't "deliberate choices", they were goofs.
So you're saying that you would be better served if there were a 15 minute sequence detailing Bronn struggling to get Jamie to the surface and struggling to keep their heads enough above the water to breathe occasionally as the weight of Jamie's armor kept pulling them under as the river's current pulled them away from the battlefield to the opposite shore? Or would you rather the writers took a whole episode or perhaps two because it probably took more than two hours for them to reach the point where they exited the water. If it bothers you so much why watch the show? It is after all an entertainment and a piece of fiction not a documentary of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM

212 posts, read 416,149 times
Did we see Beric wielding the flaming sword in the previews for next week? Does that mean that we are finally getting to the Azor Ahai prophecy? How many candidates do we have for the Prince? Jon is the obvious front runner, but who else? I don't think it can be Beric, he's hardly played any part in the story line. Dani (reborn in smoke and salt), the Hound (he saw things in the fire and a case can be made that he was reborn), Arya (she was reborn in the house of black and white).....just thinking off the cuff here. Other thoughts?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,459,550 times
"(Just please don't let Ghost turn up as a White 4-legged Walker, that's all I ask!)"
Is there going to be a Hodor wight? I don't remember them burning his body as they escaped.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

45,027 posts, read 60,039,815 times
That flaming sword thing was Thoros' schtick in tournaments. Beric adopted it when they became outlaws. Done with a bit of wildfire.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,004,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
So you're saying that you would be better served if there were a 15 minute sequence detailing Bronn struggling to get Jamie to the surface and struggling to keep their heads enough above the water to breathe occasionally as the weight of Jamie's armor kept pulling them under as the river's current pulled them away from the battlefield to the opposite shore? Or would you rather the writers took a whole episode or perhaps two because it probably took more than two hours for them to reach the point where they exited the water. If it bothers you so much why watch the show? It is after all an entertainment and a piece of fiction not a documentary of reality.
If that was what I was saying, I would have said it. I shall not invest time arguing with your imagination.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,004,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
With the exception of your first item, I tend to agree. Interesting plot holes.

It would make perfect sense to swim for the opposite bank in those circumstances.
They were shown coming up from the bottom gasping for breath. Are we supposed to believe that Bronn secured Jamie, who weighs about 175 pounds and is clad in another 40 pounds of metal, swam under water towing him while holding his breath, and then finally popped up on the far bank?

You think that makes "perfect sense?"

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
"(Just please don't let Ghost turn up as a White 4-legged Walker, that's all I ask!)"
Is there going to be a Hodor wight? I don't remember them burning his body as they escaped.
Hopefully no evil power past exit to cave?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 PM

8,373 posts, read 7,326,782 times
Quote:
They were shown coming up from the bottom gasping for breath. Are we supposed to believe that Bronn secured Jamie, who weighs about 175 pounds and is clad in another 40 pounds of metal, swam under water towing him while holding his breath, and then finally popped up on the far bank?

Ah, but it's not the weight in the water, but the specific density of the objects. Jaime, shed of his armor, most likely floats, or is at least neutrally buoyant. So Bronn just has to lug the 40 or so pounds of armor and weaponry attached to Jaime. Add in a drag coefficient and the inertia at rest for Jaime's body, if you'd like, but the big factor is the dense metal.

While I'm no Bronn, I did once drop a 20 lb Cruise-N-Carry outboard motor into about 10 feet of very cold water one early April afternoon and I immediately dove in after it, fully clothed. I made it back up with my outboard, but there was a point where I was wondering whether I was going to reach the surface with my burden.

As for Bronn reaching the far bank, I dunno. I jumped into a lake.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:02 PM

10,349 posts, read 3,939,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If the scene leaves the viewer confused, the writer failed. If the audience has to come up with excuses to figure out the giant plot hole, then it means you're looking at bad writing.

That entire sequence of events made no sense whatsoever on many levels. It was done for the spectacle alone.
I had no confusion. At all. It was a river. When Bronn and Jaimi landed, Bronn grabbed Jaimi and pulled underneath for about a matter of seconds, and then was able to bring Jaimi up for air, then keep swimming to the other side. And it's easier to pull something heavy in water than it is on land, so I see no problems with Bronn being able to do this.

And the Dothraki, while good fighters, tend to be on the dumb side, and probably didn't think to scout the water's edge to look for survivors. Not to mention, unless I am wrong about it, the Dothraki don't know how to swim, so their fear of drowning probably kept them away from the water.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:24 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,663,923 times
Quote:

Having spent a lot of time in the water, Yessir.

Though it was specifically coming up near the far bank that I was referring to. They certainly didn't want to come up on the side where the Dragon was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV