Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 02:30 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,832,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You know how all this got started? Several pages back I asked what the Night King's plan was for getting over the wall before the dragon became available. A poster responded with his or her theory that the Night King planned to march around the wall when the water froze. My reply, specific only to the Night King's army, was that the wall was never a barrier in that case. They would not have been on the move before the weather became cold enough to freeze the water, so the wall was redundant during that time. Then when the water freezes, they can walk around the wall, so once more, the wall is serving no purpose as it relates to stopping the Dead Army.

The choke point business is something several of you are making up as a means to try and rehabilitate matters in favor of the wall's utility. And of course if that indeed was what they planned the wall for, then they would have moved all of their defense resources to that choke point, not just sent a handful of Wildings to man the Eastwatch fort. Instead, the main defensive force remains at the Black Castle, so quite clearly no one was contemplating any choke point defense. If they were, we would have seen it.
I think you should probably treat yourself to a nice bowl of ice cream or a warm bath or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,037,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think you should probably treat yourself to a nice bowl of ice cream or a warm bath or something.
I will if I wish. Of course that has nothing to do with anything we are discussing here, maybe you should try and find a thread devoted to relaxation if you want to make such points.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 PM

20,336 posts, read 14,558,111 times
I really don't think that Cersei bedded Euron Greyjoy. I think that even when we saw her dally with anyone who was not Jaime, it was still a Lannister, and he was still "pretty." I don't think she would lower her proud self to sleep with someone as skeevy as Euron. I mean really. The dude is creepy. I think she was perfectly willing to string him along with the hopes of it, to get whatever she could from him, though, in terms of military might. But she was never going to give him what he wanted. I think the baby is Jaime's. I suspect she will either lose the baby to miscarriage, or die before it is born. I still believe that she and Jaime will die together, whether he kills her or not, his death will happen at more or less the same time. I believe they came into the world together, clung to one another their whole lives, and will leave it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Could anyone answer why Cercei referred to the money for the "Iron Bank" that she could use to bankroll more troops when the convoy that Jamie was leading to bring her the High Garden Gold was wiped out. The Episode was called "TheSpoils of War. I don't believe that Danery's would have left that laying on the ground after she destroyed Jamie's Army.

Yet when Cercei mentioned it to Jamie he did not tell her that the gold was lost in the ambush, which I surely assume happened.
They state in the scenes right before the battle, that the gold has gone through the gates of King's Landing. The forces that Dany's army and dragon defeat, are actually "stragglers." It is a long, strung out baggage train. The best of the loot was hot-footing it back to the Capital with the head of the army, not straggling along toward the rear. What was destroyed was generally a bunch of grain and such. Though when I first watched that episode, I was curious about the repeated focus on that one wagon drawn by two white horses, that was burning and the horses were running...remember that?...Jaime stops and looks at it. I was puzzled because I'd expect there to be some significance to that, but I don't know that there was any, besides "man, this is pretty horrible, those horses seem to be dragging a bunch of fire and they might get all burned and stuff." Horrors of war and all.

But no, I watched that episode twice, and they clearly say that the gold, the treasure meant to pay back the Iron Bank, that made it to King's Landing. It wasn't lost in the battle. Dany didn't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I thought they said Rhaegar was Dany's aunt? So Rhaegar is actually her older brother? So was there 3 siblings? Dany, Viseryon, and Rhaegar was the oldest?

So did Robert know that Rhaegar and Lyanna (sp?) were in love? Bran said, Roberts Rebellion was a lie. I'm just curious how much Robert really knew. I'm guessing not much.

What's going to happen with Robert's bastard son. Maybe that's for another thread...

Arya's story arc has always been my least favorite, but I was happy to see Littlefinger die by her, and I was glad to see the Hound and Brienne smooth things over. They've become some of my favorite characters.

It was a little anti-climatic, but it was a great season finale. I watched it twice in a row as I didn't want to miss anything.
I actually think that Robert believed that Rhaegar stole Lyanna away and raped her, because even if he had reason to think otherwise, like even if for instance she had straight up told him, "Dude, I don't love you, I love this other guy and I'm totally gonna go marry him" Robert's pride would not have allowed him to believe it. He would have HAD to have constructed this narrative to justify punishing the man who "stole" the woman he wanted for himself. Whether she was willing or not.

Robert thought a lot of his own prowess, and surely figured he was god's gift to women, but a woman who had eyes for Rhaegar's type (all courtly manners and such) would not have wanted a brute like Robert. So I think Robert just made this up and decided that his version of reality, WAS reality, and no one was going to tell him otherwise.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,065,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
A couple of unanswered questions:

Was Samwell Tarley informed that his Father and Brother were killed? Does he know he is the head of House Tarley?

Did the Lannisters abandon Highgarden, Did Dany abandon Casterly rock? Or did they keep a token force there?

Does Sansa and the northern lords know John Snow took the knee to Dany?

Daenerys made no attempt to free Yara Greyjoy?
Sam is still committed to the Black Watch. He cannot be the head of the Tarly clan anymore.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:15 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,614,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
A couple of unanswered questions:

Was Samwell Tarley informed that his Father and Brother were killed? Does he know he is the head of House Tarley?

I don't think so. As many have pointed out, the time lines are a bit tricky, but by the time that happened he was trudging from the Citadel to Castle Black. Meanwhile, nobody who was on the scene of the Tarlys being torched has traveled to Castle Black, so probably nobody at Castle Black knows.

The two most likely characters are Tyrion and Jaime, and Jaime is presumably on his way now. Obviously Dany knows but she has not had any particular reason to concern herself with, or even know of the existence of, Samwell (that's about to change, eh?), but she has no reason to mention it to anyone who's on the northern part of the alliance.

I know that the oath he took would preclude him from inheriting the title and lands, but it does seem that they take a somewhat flexible view of those oaths sometimes, doesn't it?

Old 08-29-2017, 03:18 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,883,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
does anyone wonder where Jamie was headed after he left in the end.
To the north to fight the Night King just like he said. I think Jaime at this point is still loyal to Cersei, but I think that loyalty is wavering. Plus what happens if that child isn't Jamie's, and is instead someone like Eurons? That will be the end of Jaimes loyalty.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:26 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,065,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't think so. As many have pointed out, the time lines are a bit tricky, but by the time that happened he was trudging from the Citadel to Castle Black. Meanwhile, nobody who was on the scene of the Tarlys being torched has traveled to Castle Black, so probably nobody at Castle Black knows.

The two most likely characters are Tyrion and Jaime, and Jaime is presumably on his way now. Obviously Dany knows but she has not had any particular reason to concern herself with, or even know of the existence of, Samwell (that's about to change, eh?), but she has no reason to mention it to anyone who's on the northern part of the alliance.

I know that the oath he took would preclude him from inheriting the title and lands, but it does seem that they take a somewhat flexible view of those oaths sometimes, doesn't it?
Only death can end the commitment to the Black Watch. Jon is the only "now" living person to escape the oath.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,827,343 times
Does anyone know how influential George RR Martin's concept for the GOT book series is at this point? I've read the book series and each volume, from the TV show almost following it verbatim in book 1/season 1, to straying to alternative plots and subplots in later volumes...and now of course his 6th book is facing delays, if it comes at all.

I read somewhere that he had some discussion with the producers on where his plot is heading but I wonder how detailed that is. Are the current show producers essentially in unchartered territories concerning the plot and maybe even the conclusion?

Oh one comment on the frequent complaint on "how can character x travel so far over the kingdom in one episode while character y is still in transit"...I read somewhere that was a complaint with the book series as well, in which GRR Martin remarked that characters in his books moved "at the speed of plot".

Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A king can release them from their vows, IIRC.

I suspect the Night's Watch is going to be radically restructured after all this anyway.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM

17,227 posts, read 12,114,107 times
King is able to pardon the commitment as well. It was offered to Aemon and to Jon before his death escape clause by Stannis(presuming to be king). But I imagine Samwell is happy just leaving that to Talla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV